Onkyo TX-SR502 or TX-SR601 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Onkyo TX-SR502 or TX-SR601

JohnBee
12-09-2004, 12:08 PM
I'm trying decide what would be a better reciever for myself. I'm mostly a music listener and intend on upgrading my dvd-player soon to dvd-audio/sacd. I can get the 601 for about $30 more then the 502. What would you recommend me getting? Or if niether please rocommend something in the 200-250 range...used is fine.

Dr. Seuss
12-09-2004, 07:20 PM
I just order the 502 yesterday to replace my old onkyo TX-SV414PRO, and like you, I listen to more music than I watch DVD with my home theatre. I can't remember where I read it, but when I was doing my reasearch last week, I read a review where the guy was saying that he called Onkyo and asked the same question that you are asking. He replied that the Onkyo rep told him that the 502 had newer technology. I'm excited by the claim that the 502 can take older music cd's and give them great stereo quality sound in surround mode using all speakers! If I come across that review I'll cut and past it here, in the meantime good luck with your decision. In this entry level price range, I don't think there is a company out there that is in the same class with Onkyo.

Dr. Seuss
12-09-2004, 07:56 PM
Here is the review I mentioned earlier.

Reviewer: customer from Fort Worth, TX on Wed Jul 21 15:11:29 EDT 2004
11 out of 11 found this review helpful

Very nice receiver for the money. I called Onkyo and asked the service people if I should upgrade to the 601 which is more money and they said to keep the 502 as it has newer electronics in it and I am glad I did. It is a great receiver that fits my needs very well.

Here is a link to the Circuit City site with the reviews for the 502.
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/91318/pageno/1/order/D/rpem/ccd/productDetailReview.do#tabs

JohnBee
12-09-2004, 09:10 PM
wow...huge help thank you very much...only if i could afford the 602 : ) i think this would make a huge difference in powering my new mirage omni 60's. right now i have tx-ds484...just not cutting it anymore and i could really use component switching.