8 ohm main & 4 ohm subwoofer, Problem? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 8 ohm main & 4 ohm subwoofer, Problem?

CharlieBee
12-09-2004, 10:55 AM
I am new to these sub woofers. My mains are 10 inch Sansui 2500X's and think I could use some more Lo Fi as the old ears have given up on the Hi Fi !

My old mains are 8 ohm driven by a Sansui 9090db rated at 125 watts/ch RMS at 8 ohms. I said they were old. Most of the sub woofers I see are 4 ohms. I see some subs have two coils and allow both mains to be hooked up to the sub woofer. Is this a problem?

Thanks

Charlie

markw
12-09-2004, 11:02 AM
The input impedance of these is high enough to mitigate any problems you might have.

N. Abstentia
12-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Yeah, you gotta go with a powered sub. Just simply wiring in 2 subwoofers will probably result in worse performance since your amp won't be able to provide enough power for them and will destroy it's self trying to do so.

markw
12-09-2004, 03:45 PM
Yeah, you gotta go with a powered sub. Just simply wiring in 2 subwoofers will probably result in worse performance since your amp won't be able to provide enough power for them and will destroy it's self trying to do so.That, and the LFE output is a "line level" output and needs a power amp to drive the subwoofer anyway.