RIP Dimebag Darrell [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RIP Dimebag Darrell

N. Abstentia
12-09-2004, 07:55 AM
How sad is society going to get?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,140955,00.html

I was somewhat of a Pantera fan back in the 90's...not a huge fan but I had a couple of their CD's and always liked Darrell's playing. Never got into Damageplan but the man didn't deserve this. Being grabbed while onstage playing guitar and making a living, then being shot 4 times point blank. Unreal. This hits me harder than some rock star dying of a drug overdose or self influcted shotgun blast, they did that to themselves. But this...this is just.....there's no words for it.

Then also think about the other folks who were killed and their families. One minute your kids are off to see their favorite band playing, next minute they are dead thanks to some nut.

Too bad the cop shot the guy dead. I would have liked to have seen him rot in prison.

And all this in my birthtown of Columbus OH.

kexodusc
12-09-2004, 08:04 AM
Goddamn a$$hole!!! What kind of sick f<a>ucker goes and does something like this...that rat-bahstard didn't deserve the quick death he got.

Pantera was one of the best metal acts of all time, hitting it's stride in the most unlikely of musical periods...right in the grunge/alternative boom of the 90's. "Dimebag" was an amazing guitarist who helped make this all possible!!!

Man, I really dug Pantera, and even some of Damageplan's stuff, and I'm with you N. This one hurts really bad because Darrell was a workhorse who didn't get stupid and do it to himself!

RIP Diamond...you deserved so much more!

kexodusc
12-09-2004, 08:09 AM
This just gets worse...there's 5 dead now.
Not to be selfish here, but we're going to have to endure all the BS that goes with heavy metal from the right-wing religious nut-jobs and protest groups again.
Get ready for it guys.

BarryL
12-09-2004, 09:03 AM
This just gets worse...there's 5 dead now.
Not to be selfish here, but we're going to have to endure all the BS that goes with heavy metal from the right-wing religious nut-jobs and protest groups again.
Get ready for it guys.

I saw this in the paper this morning. Imagine going out to play rock'n'roll and never coming home. What a tradgedy. The cop had to shoot him before he killed others. The shooter was holding onto another person at the time.

And this just after the John Lennon thread.

BillB
12-09-2004, 09:15 AM
I had never heard of this guy, and was never a fan of Pantera. That said, how the hell did this guy get into the show with a gun??? I've seen pat-downs at Supergrass concerts!

I don't doubt that some right-wing jackoff will say that the music made him do it...

Sad day when something like this happens.

Bill

mad rhetorik
12-09-2004, 09:44 AM
To lose one of metal's premier guitarists in such a violent way, on the anniversary of John Lennon's assassination? Horrible.

I wasn't a huge Pantera fan, but I always had respect for them and their music. Dimebag was a great guitarist and from all accounts a pretty standup guy; he didn't deserve this. And four other people got killed in the process. What a sad day.

<i>(from the article) "Police could not comment on a report that Gale had shouted out "You broke up Pantera!" before shooting Abbott." </i>

What a fu<a>cking b<a>astard. Metal fans are a fanatical bunch, but that's sick to even conceive of acting out such an adolescent revenge fantasy. Glad the cop nailed him. He was clearly intent on taking even more lives.

<i>(also from the article) "Asked whether violence at concerts and in nightclubs was increasing, Rolling Stone magazine editor Joe Levy disagreed.

"I would say what happened in Columbus is almost unprecented ? it's an aberration," Levy told FOX News' Bill McCuddy.

"Is there a connection between this music and violence? Yes. Violence is a part of this music," Levy conceded. But he added that "this kind of music is more about social pressure and pain and anger." </i>

That's a pretty fair shake. The article rightly paints the event in a tragic light and as an "aberration" rather than play up the whole "metal is evil" angle. Much better than I would've expected from Fox. No doubt though, I'm sure we'll hear something from that great upstanding bastion of Christian morality Jerry Falwell in due course (please note sledgehammer-esque application of sarcasm).

So, so sad and pointless. My condolence to Dimebag's family and friends along with the others lost. I wonder what Phil Anselmo (former Pantera frontman) has to say about this. I know there was some bad blood between him and Darryl.

TheHills44060
12-09-2004, 10:20 AM
I was just at the Alrosa Villa in Columbus this summer to see the Beyond The Embrace, All That Remains and Prong show. A friend asked me if I wanted to see Damageplan but I couldn't get the day off from work. Dimebag will be missed.

N. Abstentia
12-09-2004, 10:33 AM
Also you gotta feel for Darrells brother Vinnie who was the drummer. He probably watched the whole thing happen.

kexodusc
12-09-2004, 10:52 AM
I'm told there's already websites with digital captures of this event...Some things are better left alone.

Dave_G
12-09-2004, 01:37 PM
What a shame.

I hate it when people do crap like this.

I feel badly for anybody affected by this, it sucks.

Whatever came out of the Great White tragedy, anyhow?

Dave

Whooptee
12-09-2004, 08:56 PM
This sucks.

I've known Darrell and Vince since junior high. Haven't seen them in a long time, still they were always a couple of really cool dudes. Super nice guys. Nobody deserves that. Damn.

John

Dusty Chalk
12-09-2004, 11:52 PM
:( :( :(

Finch Platte
12-10-2004, 06:00 AM

Whatever came out of the Great White tragedy, anyhow?

Dave

I read this article in RS way back when. Apparently, no one gives a flying sh!t about the survivors of that tragedy. Many of those people are scarred for life, in more ways than one.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/5940025/greatwhite?pageid=rs.Artistcage&pageregion=triple3

fp

Celtic Bob
12-11-2004, 05:27 AM
Not a big Pantera fan but Diamond Darrel was a great guitarist. I've been playing their "Best Of" allot the week.
RIP Dime.
:(

ForeverAutumn
12-12-2004, 08:35 AM
I read this article in RS way back when. Apparently, no one gives a flying sh!t about the survivors of that tragedy. Many of those people are scarred for life, in more ways than one.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/5940025/greatwhite?pageid=rs.Artistcage&pageregion=triple3

fp

I don't think I've every read anything more sad.