Anyone spin some Lennon in memory? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone spin some Lennon in memory?

BillB
12-09-2004, 04:59 AM
Threw on some Beatles material, bits of Imagine, and the entire Plastic Ono Band on MoFi...one wonders what might have been...

Bill

Stone
12-09-2004, 05:22 AM
No, but I did listen to Pantera on the way in to work this morning.

BarryL
12-09-2004, 05:58 AM
Threw on some Beatles material, bits of Imagine, and the entire Plastic Ono Band on MoFi...one wonders what might have been...

Bill

I never did take to his solo work.

In my opinion, the best thing he did for music post-Beatles, apart from the song Imagine, was contribute drummer Alan White to Yes.

Mr MidFi
12-09-2004, 07:33 AM
I have a "best of" disc I don't play often enough. I suspect I'll be playing it this weekend, as a result of this thread. Maybe I'll throw it on shuffle-play with Abbey Road, Revolver and Sgt. Pepper. Plus a Stones disc, just to shake things up a little.

Ex Lion Tamer
12-09-2004, 08:17 AM
After reading your post this morning, I played Plastic Ono Band, then left for work. Great album. Thanks for the kick in the pants.

BillB
12-09-2004, 09:11 AM
I'm glad I've encouraged a little bit of listening. XPN's playing his cover of Stand By Me right now as they do a little tribute to him during the lunch hour.

Plastic Ono Band is, IMO, his best solo effort by far. Whether it's due to the fact that some of the material was written during his time with The Beatles or not I don't know. The MoFi reissue on CD blows away any other version I've heard by a wide margin. It was my first MoFi disc and I was skeptical until about 5 seconds into it.

Even though John hated his voice, using some sort of effect on it 99% of the time, I always found it to have a high degree of "honesty" to it.

While I agree that none of them were able to turn out consistent material in their solo careers there was a magic when they all get together. I don't care what anyone says, Free As A Bird is a top-notch song.

I hope that a-hole MDC never gets out of jail...

Bill

Celtic Bob
12-11-2004, 05:29 AM
Yes I did.
Bit of Beatles and a bit of solo stuff.