SVS Subwoofers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SVS Subwoofers

kcramer
12-08-2004, 12:29 PM
I'm thinking about buying one. But I'm the type of person to try things out before I buy them. (like trying on clothes, or listening first) I've read review after review and I get nothing but positive comments from their owners. But that almost seems too good to be true. (800 bucks, well, maybe not) Anybody here own an SVS upright cylinder sub? If you do, what do ya think?

midfiguy
12-08-2004, 01:26 PM
I'm sure that there is either an SVSubwoofer forum out there or maybe there is an owner's forum right on the website. Chances are you'll be able to find someone pretty close to your proximity who will be more than happy to audition for you so you can see if you like the sound (usually anyone who owns subwoofers of that caliper are more than happy to put their purchases on display).

Lafferman
12-08-2004, 03:52 PM
just make sure his nickname isn't buffalo bill or it might be a long stay. :)

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Actually, SVS subs are probably the only sub I would buy without hearing them. I have yet to hear a bad thing spoken or written about one. That speaks volumes.

kode3
12-09-2004, 01:25 AM
I love my SVS, I would buy one. If you don't like it, just send it back... 100% money back guarantee :)

BillB
12-09-2004, 04:57 AM
I've had my SVS PC+ 2039 for about 6 months and absolutely love it. Even more so I love the company. Their support is the best I've ever experienced in the nearly 10 years I've been in this hobby. When you get company owners helping you optimize your setup over multiple emails it speaks volumes.

They offer more performance than any other sub I've heard for under $1000. My sub picks up at 60Hz when I set my mains to SMALL and fills in beautifully and FLAT down to well below 20Hz.

I like the fact that I can tune it to cut off higher (25Hz) or lower (16Hz) and the fact that it has a completely variable phase control from 0-180.

The sub seems well built and blends in well for it's size into my room. It's packaging was bulletproof.

As someone else suggested, you might try another forum such as the one at SVS' website or the SVSForum over at www.hometheaterspot.com to try and find one to audition in your area. Most of us with SVS' would be more than happy to demo such a great HiFi find.

Bill

goatspeed
12-09-2004, 01:44 PM
I have the same sub as BillB and I agree completely. I'm a big fan of the tube sub. I'm a big fan of SVS and their support. I ordered the PC+ 2039 without ever hearing it because I knew I could ship it back. I instantly loved how it sounded with movies. It rattles the entire house but isn't boomy. It blends well with my mains very well (Monitor Audio) for music...seamless really. Music sounds wonderful..so yeah you have 2 thumbs up here too on the SVS tube sub.

It's also a great novelty having this 39 inch tall "barrel of oil" as my wife calls it that rattles the house. My parents couldn't get over it when they visited on Thanksgiving. My mom wants one now because "how it makes the music bass sound".

Woochifer
12-10-2004, 04:41 PM
SVS subs have gotten a LOT of run all over the internet, and from what I understand they are outstanding products. But, are they the end all and the only viable option out there? Of course not. They're one great option among a select group.

The thing to keep in mind with mail order audio products is that they tend to get an inordinate amount of hype on forums like this one precisely because you have to order the product in order to try it out. Because people cannot try them out in stores, they tend to get more inquiries and discussed more often. Out of all the components in my system, the one that I talk about the most is probably the subwoofer because it's a mail order model and people ask questions about it more often than the other components. With my other components, it's pretty simple to tell people to go to a local store and try it for themselves.

While I also hear that SVS has great customer service, I have been somewhat put off by how condescending comments by some of their customers and one of the two SVS owners sometimes get regarding competing products. It's fine to have pride in a good product, but some of the comments I've read over the years go way overboard and occasionally get insulting towards any other subs.

Kpt_Krunch
12-11-2004, 09:33 AM
While I also hear that SVS has great customer service, I have been somewhat put off by how condescending comments by some of their customers and one of the two SVS owners sometimes get regarding competing products. It's fine to have pride in a good product, but some of the comments I've read over the years go way overboard and occasionally get insulting towards any other subs.

I couldn't agree more with this post. I was actually at one time leaning towards buying one of these subs - when some a-hole over at AVS, from Toronto no less - started running down every other sub out there, including what I eventually bought - a Paradigm PW-2200. Problem is, in Canada - with exchange rates, higher shipping costs, and brokerage fees, there a lot of other options for us that make SVS less appealing. Not to say SVS do not make great subs - and I still have my eye on a PC-Ultra. In fact, with the Cdn. $ so strong right now, now would have been a good time, but too many other upgrades to do and I only have so much money, and the PW-2200 is more than enough for my room that there is absolutely no pressing need to upgrade now or anytime in the near future.

I certainly don't mind people posting about how good equipment is, whether it be SVS, HSU, Rocket UFW, whatever. But these guys & gals have to understand is that there a lot of great SUBS out there, and as soon as I read a post from some jerk who claims his _____ sub is by far better than any other sub ever produced at any price, he/she goes in my shill/ignore list. So, when you're reading reviews, you have to take some of these reviews with a grain of salt.