Dual 504... Ebay help plz! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dual 504... Ebay help plz!

The_OC_King
12-07-2004, 07:23 PM
I just won (accidentally I might add...) a Gallard SL-95, that is supposedly like new, and is in the original box with all the original stuff, for 47 dollars. Good deal? Is this a decent table? Would a new cartridge make it a good table?

I'm also bidding on a Dual Model 504 (the one I really wanted to win), that also looks practically new, and has the original cartridge. How good of a table is this and what is it worth? Are there any sub-$100 cartridges that would improve this table? The mid-level one in the Grado Prestige series perhaps?

This will be my first TT and I'm excited about getting some analog action going on! The only reason I decided to buy a turn table was because I went to the website of one of my favorite record companies (Saddle Creek), and they sell LPs of almost everything they've produced, and cheaply!

I am however, poor (I'm 17, almost 18), and can't afford the kinda stuff I really want. I'm an audiophile without any real hi-fi gear! I know what sounds good though, and I wanted to get the best table for the money, so I turned to Ebay. I bid on a Technics SL-1900 but lost that one. I want to win the Dual, but I don't know what it's really worth. If I do win the dual, I won't need the Gallard for anything, and will just have wasted a good amount of money. Maybe I'll relist it on ebay, or sell it to a friend.

Thanks for the info/opinions!

The_OC_King
12-07-2004, 07:59 PM
OK, well, I won the Dual Model 504 for 170 bux. I hope I got a good deal=/

I'll have to sell the Gallard, or re-list it on Ebay.

I also got a PreSonus BlueTube stereo tube preamp off of ebay, for use with my guitar amp, but I'm thinking it might do wonders between the TT and my reciever. I'd obviously have to go to an aux input and not a phono one, but what do you think about that? Twice the analog-ness:D

dean_martin
12-08-2004, 07:55 AM
I can't comment on your economic issues. I can say that it's hard to get a steal on Dual turntables off ebay these days.

Dual table and cartridge - if your original cart is in good shape I think you'll like its sound. I had a Dual with the original Dual cartridge made by Ortofon and it sounded like what I think analog should sound like. The music is built from the bottom up with good bass for the foundation, nice smooth midrange and sparkling highs.

PreSonus BlueTube preamp - I have both the stereo version and a single channel. You can catch these on sale at musiciansfriend.com and Guitar Center so I bet you got a super deal off ebay. I wish I had thought to check ebay. I use mine as mic preamps for recording. I would do a little more research before incorporating it into your home audio system. I don't think it's compatible but if you find otherwise please let me know. Also, if you got yours used without a manual I will be happy to send you a copy of mine. Where I find the preamps most useful is adding a little warmth and mellow sound to vocals AND cymbals. They also come in handy because they have phantom power for condenser mics and they have both balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs so you can use them between mics and the older 4-track recorders for great analog sound.

"Gallard" turntable - if this was a typo or mistake and you meant to say "Garrard" I think there are several Garrard fans who post here and maybe they can tell you something about your model. You might find that the Garrard is the better table.

piece-it pete
12-08-2004, 08:29 AM
Howdy King!

I don't know much but use a Dual 604 myself, I don't think it's considered the best tt but I like it.

I've got a mid-grade Audio Technica (no boos please) but it's about done, I'm considering this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3283&item=5736390153&rd=1

or a low end Grado from Brian B (Venus HiFi) over at Audio Karma.

I'd try the PreSonus BlueTube with vinyl, in a heartbeat!

Sorry I can't be of more help. What gear are you running?

Pete

piece-it pete
12-08-2004, 08:32 AM
The Bluetube isn't a phono pre? If not then it won't have the RIAA or whatever equalization, it might sound... interesting....

I might try the Ortofon - thanks Dean!

Pete

dean_martin
12-08-2004, 09:14 AM
I bought a new old stock Parasound cart from Ed Suanders to hold me over until I saved up for what I really want. He's a nice guy who finds some unique stuff and his prices on current models are competitive.

Also, I bought my PreSonus BlueTube preamps for use with microphones. They're designed and marketed for home studio recording and live music. They add that tube warmth to vocals and I use them to take the edge or bite off cymbals when I record my son playing his drums. I know they aren't phono stages, but I'll have to do a little more research to see of they are compatible with a home audio system (when all else fails, read the manual). These are great products to use with 4-track recorders and they're inexpensive - $50 to $100 depending on whether you get a single channel or 2 channel model. Most folks record digitally and with their computers these days. But, I still use the stone age 4-track cassette method.

royphil345
12-08-2004, 01:41 PM
The Dual looks pretty cool. I think you could have got a slightly better sounding table for close to $200.00, but alot of the old Dual fans would disagree with me. (hence the price it went for) If you take good care of it, it should hold or increase in value. Very collectable. A mid-level Grado would probably sound fine on that table. Since the Duals are so collectable, you could probably still find a stylus for the original cartridge and keep it "stock".

Garrard was the hot table before Dual came along. I'm sure they still have their fans too, but the sound quality has to be a little lacking by today's standards. Has a primative center bearing and tone arm that drags 10 pounds worth of metal parts around for automatic play. Looks like the one you bought has no case and no headshell, which will be a pain to replace because it takes a special 2-piece Garrard headshell. (headshell and a "slide" that the cartridge mounts to) Maybe try to relist that one.

I wouldn't use the BlueTube. Phono preamps do boost AND EQ the signal. If you tried to use it in a phono input (so as not to need the RIAA EQ) it would probably overload.