Linked review of the Yamaha RX-V2400: interesting stuff about the YPAO [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Linked review of the Yamaha RX-V2400: interesting stuff about the YPAO

Woochifer
12-15-2003, 05:15 PM
Audioholics posted their full review of the RX-V2400 and it has an excellent overview of the YPAO room acoustic calibration feature, and what it does and does NOT do. Some interesting points on the YPAO -- it is accurate for automatically setting the speaker levels and equalizing each of the speaker outputs.

However, disappointingly I read that the YPAO does make any adjustments for the subwoofer output, nor any frequencies below 63 Hz. IMO, the low frequencies are where the parametric EQ is needed the most, and having this kind of adjustment done automatically could have propelled the YPAO-equipped Yamahas far ahead of the pack. Also, the parametric EQ center points and bandwidths cannot be manually adjusted. As such I would regard the YPAO as a step in the right direction, but not quite there yet. In any case, you would still need to use an outboard parametric EQ in conjunction with any subwoofer, and do the measurements manually if you want to maximize your bass response.

In other areas, it sounds like Yamaha also made some good improvements over the previous model. The link to the review is below.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/YamahaRXV-2400Receiver-p1.html

kelsci
12-16-2003, 06:08 PM
Woochifer; I stumbled on that report as well. I think the reporter mentioned that he had to check the wiring on one of his speakers since the receiver indicated that it was wired out of phase. The reporter rechecked the speakers in question and found nothing to be wrong. So the YPAO appeared to give a misreading. I feel the reporter was saying this system needs more work(like to be perfected along with that subwoofer comment that he mentioned and you brought out in your post) I wonder if the MCACC of the Pioneer 912 and the Elite 49 had any of these problems? Other than the YPAO commentary, one cannot deny you sure get a lot of receiver for the money.

Woochifer
12-16-2003, 06:30 PM
The reviewer mentioned that the erroneous out of phase readings they got from the YPAO varied from room to room, so it would stand to reason that room acoustics were causing some kind of distortion that the automatic calibration did not pick up on. I believe though that it is possible to override a phase misreading. This type of room calibration feature is a really exciting development because I know from first hand experience how huge a difference it can make with subwoofers. Having some kind of manual parametric adjustment and low frequencies available would make an already promising feature all that much more compelling.

nick4433
12-16-2003, 09:13 PM
I had the privilege of using a 1400 extensively as a prepro and I played with the YPAO settings a lot. Not once did I get an Out of phase on the tests. What surprises me is the subwoofer is a part of all the tests in the YPAO and the manual claims the YPAO sets parametric EQing to all the speakers selected. Upon running YPAO, my SW definitely felt less boomier and tighter, don't know how or why!

3db
12-17-2003, 05:33 AM
I guess everybody missed that post. I was very curious to see feedback from the YPAO tests. HomeTheatre Mag did a review on the RXV2400 as well and had similar results. OI thought HT review was week as it barely touched the sound of the receiver. They hung up on the feature part without dwelving into the sound. Oh well.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?threadid=667

46minaudio
12-17-2003, 09:50 AM
I had posted this over at avs..When I first ran YPAO(1400) it said my ft l/r mains were out of phase.After checking wiring(I even took the drivers out of the speakers ,Studio 100s)I ran it again with the same results.Someone over at AVS asked about room placement.In this room the RT frt is 2 feet off the wall and the left is 4 off the wall(closed door).I then place the lft 2 ft of the wall(actually a door) and ran it again.It said they were in phase..I have placed them back and ran Avia and they show in phase.This processer also sets my Center(Studio CC) as large..My dealer allowed me to exchange the 1400 with a newer 1400 with DPL IIx.This one does the samething.When running the parametric EQ I do get a test tone from the sub...Has anyone confirmed with Yamaha tech if the sub is not getting eqd..