Need very efficient speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need very efficient speakers

wmelton
12-07-2004, 09:35 AM
I am thinking about building an amplifier w/ a 2 watt maximum output. Any decent sounding speakers out there w/ higher than a 91dB effientcy rating at 1 watt? That seems to be the max I can find. Thanks in advance.

Walt

theaudiohobby
12-07-2004, 09:37 AM
Price range???

wmelton
12-07-2004, 09:41 AM
$200->$600 (max)/pair

topspeed
12-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Horn speakers generally have very high efficiency. You might try looking into Klipsch. Athena's FS2 is 92dB sensitive and most Infinity's are at least 91dB.

RGA
12-07-2004, 11:53 AM
With 2 watts you should be looking at speakers at about 100db sensitivity. The impedence is a factor as well. With very low watts you may want horn speakers.

I would post on the High Effciency forum at http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hug/bbs.html

midfiguy
12-07-2004, 12:58 PM
Klipsch has some excellent speakers in that price range (IMO). Check out acousticsounddesign.com for some decent prices as well as ebay. You can get some RF15s, RF25s in your range, or if bookshelf speakers are more your preference, they also have some very good offerings in the reference line as well.

Jimmy C
12-07-2004, 03:07 PM
... provided you don't have to "rock out" to Megadeath, you might wanna try one of the single drivers offerings from the hornshoppe.com or the Omegas... any simple, efficient coherent speaker.

Have I heard them? Err, uh... no. Just giving ideas from threads I have previously read.

Something to investigate...

meephis
12-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Yes Klipsch are extremely efficient, however, I would NEVER buy speakers from ebay unless new, factory sealed in box, and completely guaranteed! If you would like to know why just visit your local dealer and take a look at the drivers and see if you can count the dents in the drivers, not to mention someone may have bottomed/blown them, emphasis on maybe, but when it comes to your system you must ask yourself if a maybe is worth the risk. Additionally, not to "bash" (a little Klipsch humor) Klipsch because they are a very respectable company but I feel that someone has to say it, the new reference speakers just flat out suck. They have cheap cabinets, quality control is out the window, and their performance is,in my opinion, beneath the company. The only thing like about the new series is the new magnet attatching grills, but even at that they added that tacky piece of plastic to the bottom. I would still recommend Klipsch but I would recommend going with the synergy series.

midfiguy
12-08-2004, 05:03 AM
They don't "flat out suck". It's just one person's opinion. If there's one truth here, it's that no one's opinion of a speaker is correct. That's the beauty of audio, you get to use your own ears.

The build quality of the reference series is actually not bad at all. Maybe not up to Nautilus standards, but none the less, not that bad. The cabinets are no worse than others in the same price range. Klipsch speakers are very sensitive the placement. When positioned correctly, the reference series sounds spectacular. But again, it's just an opinion.

BTW - Many companies (such as www.acousticsounddesign.com) sell sealed products on ebay for a very good price, so you can go that route. I've never had a problem to date.

This Guy
12-09-2004, 01:04 PM
hey midfiguy, weren't you on these forums a while ago as "midfiman"? Either way, nice to see ya on the forums.

midfiguy
12-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Yes, I'm back! Not that I have any new equipment, but I'm back!

Holding out for a new home... ...and then, the DLP projector!!!

meephis
12-10-2004, 11:40 AM
I wasn't saying that ALL speakers on Ebay were bad I was simply saying unless in a sealed box I wouldn't buy them. And my remark about the Klipsch reference, I was refering to the new ones, I feel that they have lesser build quality than the previous series (which were excellent) and that many of my friends have had problems with them (drivers) right out of the box. They also sound a little more "hollow" than the last ones, I beleive this is to be atributed to the cabinets also.------Again with Ebay there are some dealers in which its fine to purchase fro, I was talking about the UNSEALED, used speakers that are sold as is.----------My appologies------

MikeyBC
12-15-2004, 05:05 PM
you might want to try and find a good used pair of klipsh Hershey's or KG2, they are older models but they were not "cheap". They had their own character to them but it was an enjoyable one that didnt stand in the way of the music.

Harp845
01-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Check out Bics new line..ACOUSTECH..They have horn tweeters and 96db ....

Stu-r
01-14-2005, 07:44 PM
I am thinking about building an amplifier w/ a 2 watt maximum output. Any decent sounding speakers out there w/ higher than a 91dB effientcy rating at 1 watt? That seems to be the max I can find. Thanks in advance.

Walt

Check on Lowther. They're still available and they are about the most efficient speakers available - designed for low power amplifiers.