My current DVD Player is 'freezing up'?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My current DVD Player is 'freezing up'??

cjtalbot
12-07-2004, 06:54 AM
Hey all,

I'm looking around for a new DVD player right now, and the main driver for that is becuase my current DVD player (a four year old JVC low-end model) is constantly 'freezing up' about 45 minutes into any given disc.

It's a fairly new problem, having only started happening in the last month or so. I have purchased and used the 3M DVD cleaner disc, but that has not solved my problem.

So although I am going to be purchasing a new player sometime soon, does anyone have any insight into this problem? Besides cleaning the player, I also installed a small fan to constantly keep the player cool (not that it ever really seemed hot...but I wanted to limit the factors involved in the breakdown) and that has not helped either.

Thanks,

Chris

Harleyx
12-12-2004, 08:41 AM
The laser mechanism is screwed..I had one that needed to be replaced.
Warrantys are a wonderful thing..)

kaltfuzion
12-26-2004, 08:18 PM
Hey all,

I'm looking around for a new DVD player right now, and the main driver for that is becuase my current DVD player (a four year old JVC low-end model) is constantly 'freezing up' about 45 minutes into any given disc.

It's a fairly new problem, having only started happening in the last month or so. I have purchased and used the 3M DVD cleaner disc, but that has not solved my problem.

So although I am going to be purchasing a new player sometime soon, does anyone have any insight into this problem? Besides cleaning the player, I also installed a small fan to constantly keep the player cool (not that it ever really seemed hot...but I wanted to limit the factors involved in the breakdown) and that has not helped either.

Thanks,

Chris

This is a common problem with older JVC DVD players. I have the same problem with mine. I'm not sure which model you have (i have the XV-701), but JVC posted a workaround on their website involving holding several buttons for several seconds and reinitializing the unit. Despite this, it still occassionally happens, i turn it off, come back an hour later and it's fine. Their QA people must have been asleep when testing these.