anyone picked up the Capt. Kirk album? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : anyone picked up the Capt. Kirk album?

Jim Clark
12-07-2004, 06:42 AM
a staple on the Golden Throats albums, William Shatner has released his latest effort some 35 years after the first cult classic and I've not come across a mention here. I heard my first track on KEXP's streaming broadcast a while ago, the tongue in cheek (Shatner, what else?) title track "Has Been". It's hillarious. Remarkably there are some pretty serious names attached to this effort:

"Description: Personnel include: William Shatner (vocals); Brad Paisley (vocals, guitar); Joe Jackson (vocals, piano); Henry Rollins, Aimee Mann (vocals); Lemon Jelly (various instruments); John Mark Painter (guitar, trumpet, bass guitar, background vocals); Jon Auer (guitar, background vocals); Adrian Belew (guitar); Ben Folds (piano, organ, keyboards, synthesizer, bass guitar, drums, background vocals); Sebastian Steinberg (bass instrument); Matt Chamberlain (drums, percussion); Louisville Common People's Choir (background vocals)

I think it might be worth the 13.99 BB wants for it, but I'll still probably try to preview it on the Clever Cactus network first.

jc

Troy
12-07-2004, 08:50 AM
I heard about 4 cuts played in a Tower a few weeks ago.

It's funny as a novelty record, but really, it's crap as an album to actually listen to.

There's just nothing as gratutously awful as Mr. Tambourine Man or Lucy in the Sky on this new album. And that's what I'm looking for with Shatner.

What a diverse career that hack has had, eh?

Jim Clark
12-07-2004, 08:53 AM
I heard about 4 cuts played in a Tower a few weeks ago.

It's funny as a novelty record, but really, it's crap as an album to actually listen to.

There's just nothing as gratutously awful as Mr. Tambourine Man or Lucy in the Sky on this new album. And that's what I'm looking for with Shatner.

What a diverse career that hack has had, eh?

Yours was the response I was looking for. First off for the cultish aspect of this album which I figured almost had to appeal to you, but also for the Ben Folds connection. Of course for me it's the Star Trek geek in me that has me curious. The man is a piece of work, no denying that.

jc

Davey
12-07-2004, 09:12 AM
...but also for the Ben Folds connection.
Hehehe, remember those old Priceline comercials he did on kind of a smokey nightclub stage with the Ben Folds Five backing him? Those were actually pretty cool, at least from a TV commercial standpoint. Can't imagine anyone listening to the Shatner album more than once or twice, though. What a cad...or maybe that's a little too strong. He does seem to be willing to do just about anything for a buck, though :)

Ex Lion Tamer
12-07-2004, 09:38 AM
He does seem to be willing to do just about anything for a buck, though :)

Kirk rules! Doesn't he also shill for Bran Flakes now too?

FWIW, I think he borders on brilliant as the impossibly eccentric Denny Crane on Boston Public; the "The Practice" spin-off. James Spader is pretty darn good too, though not quite the whirlwind he was on the last season of The Practice. Did he win an Emmy for that?

Slosh
12-07-2004, 02:02 PM
If you haven't yet seen Free Enterprise go out and rent it asaFp! Shatner elevates this flick from b-movie schlock to a truly funny little film. Without him it would have been just awful, so Bill's real talent is his comedic chops.

Finch Platte
12-07-2004, 06:15 PM

Whaddya speck with something that's got focking Ben Folds on it?

fp

Troy
12-07-2004, 06:22 PM
Whaddya speck with something that's got focking Ben Folds on it?

fp

Be nice.

The problem with it specifically is that it's not BAAAAAAAD the way the 60s junk was. It's just not crappy enough . . . because there's people like Folds and Belew on it. Shoulda used a bunch of cheesy studio hacks.