And the $1500 question is..... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : And the $1500 question is.....

meephis
12-06-2004, 10:42 PM
I am looking for a new subwoofer for my brand spankin new HT, I have DefinitiveTechnology Bp7002 in the front, C/L/R 2300 center, BP7006 in the rear a yamaha RX-V2500(not enough $ for the RX-Z1), and a Denon DVD-2900. I usually have no problem looking for equipment and have a couple models in mind but thought I'd see if anybody had anything in particular they would recommend in the $1500 pricerange.

N. Abstentia
12-06-2004, 11:40 PM
Paradigm Servo 15 would be first on my list.

Geoffcin
12-07-2004, 05:18 PM
I am looking for a new subwoofer for my brand spankin new HT, I have DefinitiveTechnology Bp7002 in the front, C/L/R 2300 center, BP7006 in the rear a yamaha RX-V2500(not enough $ for the RX-Z1), and a Denon DVD-2900. I usually have no problem looking for equipment and have a couple models in mind but thought I'd see if anybody had anything in particular they would recommend in the $1500 pricerange.

Specifically the HGS series.

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/product.aspx?ID=6&sid=530r876u

meephis
12-07-2004, 08:40 PM
I have a few models in mind, in fact you both mentioned some of the possible canidates, I have been thinking of paradigm servo-12 but I don't want to buy a subwoofer without hearing it first and there are no Paradigm dealers in my area (since Ultimate Electronics stopped dealing them) so i am force to drive a long, long way which is no problem if they are without a doubt worth it, i am also somewhat considering the Klipsch RSW-15, I am not a huge Klipsch however I do like the performance of their subwoofers. Anyways, do u guys have any other recommendations while I review these models?

kode3
12-08-2004, 03:29 AM
Why spend $1500! I only spent $850

SVS nuf' said

http://www.svsubwoofers.com

kexodusc
12-08-2004, 05:44 AM
I've heard that SVS subwoofer, and I've got to admit, I was quite impressed, though not anywhere near as good as the Servo-15, it offers a better bang-for-the-buck, IMO.
I think the Servo 15 is overkill for most, and is priced according to its specs rather than it's real world performance. It is impressive, but way overpriced for what you get (coming from a Paradigm owner).

My recommendation would be to consider building your own subwoofer from a kit. Something like this, though there are others:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-764

This thing will hold it's own in real world performance with the Servo-15, though honestly, will fall a tiny bit short at super high SPL's (above 115 dB's), but at 1/3 the price, this is a no brainer. And it comes with a Parametric EQ to help improve your system response in the low frequency areas, essential for music playback.

Only downside...she ain't the prettiest gal to look at.

Geoffcin
12-08-2004, 03:32 PM
I've heard that SVS subwoofer, and I've got to admit, I was quite impressed, though not anywhere near as good as the Servo-15, it offers a better bang-for-the-buck, IMO.
I think the Servo 15 is overkill for most, and is priced according to its specs rather than it's real world performance. It is impressive, but way overpriced for what you get (coming from a Paradigm owner).

My recommendation would be to consider building your own subwoofer from a kit. Something like this, though there are others:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-764

This thing will hold it's own in real world performance with the Servo-15, though honestly, will fall a tiny bit short at super high SPL's (above 115 dB's), but at 1/3 the price, this is a no brainer. And it comes with a Parametric EQ to help improve your system response in the low frequency areas, essential for music playback.

Only downside...she ain't the prettiest gal to look at.

That a DIY sub is probably the best bang/buck way to go. But the price range this guy has buys you into Servo tech. There's a guy who sells DIY Servo subs pretty resonably, I even talked with him briefly before I bought the Velos. I can't for the life of me remember his name though. Do you happen to know anything about him?

kexodusc
12-08-2004, 04:27 PM
No, but I'd love to know more. I'm in the market to replace my PW-2200. I built my folks the 12" sub kit from PE last winter and meant to replace the Paradigm with another 12" kit or the the 15" I mentioned above. But speakers, a new job, new country etc kind of got in the way. I was just planning on one 15", maybe 2 eventually, though my last attempt at dual subs didn't pan out so well...I have yet to find as good a value as 15 MKIII kit (except for maybe this 18" kit that's just scary), but I'm not married to that idea.

If you find out anything more, Geoffcin, please let me know.

Just curious...I almost went with Velodyne until I stumbled into a couple deals on Paradigm subs...what Velo(s) do you have?

topspeed
12-08-2004, 06:19 PM
What's wrong with the DefTech SuperCube? DT is well known for their quality subs. You might also consider REL and James. The James sub is pretty innovative and while I admit I've never heard it, I've read nothing but outstanding reviews in mags. All three are within your budget.

Geoffcin
12-08-2004, 06:34 PM
No, but I'd love to know more. I'm in the market to replace my PW-2200. I built my folks the 12" sub kit from PE last winter and meant to replace the Paradigm with another 12" kit or the the 15" I mentioned above. But speakers, a new job, new country etc kind of got in the way. I was just planning on one 15", maybe 2 eventually, though my last attempt at dual subs didn't pan out so well...I have yet to find as good a value as 15 MKIII kit (except for maybe this 18" kit that's just scary), but I'm not married to that idea.

If you find out anything more, Geoffcin, please let me know.

Just curious...I almost went with Velodyne until I stumbled into a couple deals on Paradigm subs...what Velo(s) do you have?

But I did find this;

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_5_2/diy8titansubwooferjune98.html

I have two Velodyne FSR-15. 2001 vintage.

I used to have my system listed in my signature, but having it posted in every post seemed too much so I deleted it. You can still see it listed in my profile.

meephis
12-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Well its down to the Servo 15, the HGS-15X, maybe an SVS, (not to fond of the looks of the kit) but what about the Klipsch RSW-15, I've heard some things about the sub not producing very well with the real "nasty stuff" below 25 hz. I did however listen to it in the showroom and it didn't seem to have any trouble, although the showroom it was in had better acoustics than my listening room so i'm not sure. What do you think?