How many times can you listen to your favorites? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How many times can you listen to your favorites?

Davey.
12-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Should do it as a poll, but I don't like the polls. They'd be better if you could see the results without having to open the thread. Of course, everything would be better if you didn't have to open the whole thread to read a post, but we won't go there right now :)

Hey, so how many times do you think you will have listened to your favorite albums by the time you bite it? 100? 500? 1000? That's a tough one. I have some fairly recent albums, say from the last 5 years, that I have occasionally pigged out on and listened over and over, probably piling up 50 listens in a matter of a few weeks. But long term I don't really have anything that I can think of at the moment that I have played continuously over the years to get much beyond that 100 mark. Hmmmm, I've always been kind of itchy, I guess. I was just thinking about it because I made a post about John Coltrane's Blue Train, calling it probably my favorite jazz album, and was kind of wondering why I would rec an album that is over 40 years old when I mostly listen to new music when it comes to rock, and my answer to myself was that I just haven't nearly reached the saturation point with this as I have with many rock albums. I probably could listen to Blue Train at least 100 more times. Not sure if I will get the chance, but if I do ........... :)

I tend to binge on music these days and then kind of forget about it. Not always, but often. One of my new year's resolutions is to severely cut back on the amount of music I buy and concentrate more on what I already have. You heard it here first :)

Swish
12-15-2003, 03:23 PM
I don't listen to 50 cds total in a few weeks, then again, some people have lots of leisure time on their hands.

But seriously, if I have a recent fave loaded in my player, I may spin it 5 or 10 times w/in a week or so before replacing it. I usually bring them back in rotation after another few weeks, depending on how busy I am at work.

Swish Baby

Troy
12-15-2003, 03:23 PM
One of my new year's resolutions is to severely cut back on the amount of music I buy and concentrate more on what I already have. You heard it here first.

Spoken like a true addict.

Fiscally, I have no choice. 2003 has been good for me in many ways, but business has sure taken it in the shorts. Like most small biz owners I know, I'm off about 25% from 2002. I gots no cash for luxuries like an endless parade of new musics. Bad scene. Now that scum-bag has been captured, we can get back to some sembalance of normal, business-wise.

But anyway . . .

You and me are about the same age and I know that I have some albums that I've spun many, many hundreds of times. Hell, I've spun Jethro Tull's "War Child" twice today already. Colorful little album, that one. I couldn't begin to guess, but my best estimate is that I've spun that 5 star album a kerjillion times since I was about 14.

Figure it this way, I listen to about 5 CDs a day, most days. That's 1825 a year. Cut it to 1500 to be safe and suddenly you'll see that It's relatively easy to spin some faves 1000 times in a lifetime.

Slosh
12-15-2003, 03:40 PM
One of my new year's resolutions is to severely cut back on the amount of music I buy and concentrate more on what I already have. You heard it here first :)

Yeah right! You buy new music 'cause you get sick of the old stuff. Duh ;)

Even my all-time-faves only get pulled out once in a while. Great music? Yes, of course. But new music is more exciting. Not unlike a new woman who you don't really like on an emotional or intellectual level. But hey, she's new. :p

You'll be playing the first half of my "mystery" disc for the rest of the year. You may not think so after the first, and perhaps not even after the second spin. But mark these words: once the third spin happens you won't even care about any other music for a good solid week ;)

Finch Platte
12-15-2003, 04:34 PM
You guys mirror what happened to me today. I had a box-full of CDs to take back to Replay, just to exchange for credit. I got to talking to the owner, and all of a sudden, he goes into this spiel about how biz is so bad, and with the price of CDs going down (ha!), and workman's comp (etc.) going up, he's being very picky about what he buys back.

Holy crap- that's gonna put a serious crimp in my buying discs- both used and new. If I can't depend on the used CD store anymore, that's bad. I'll have to be very picky about what I buy. Before, I was a little more carefree about an impulse buy.

Thus, the comps traded in here become even more important to me.

fp

And Troy- what you said about Saddam being caught and maybe things picking up (is that what you said? I should probably recheck your post), maybe the opposite will happen. Bush's popularity will go back up, and he'll be re-elected, and things will continue along the same way they have been- the rich getting richer, poor folks (me!) getting poorer.

tentoze
12-15-2003, 05:15 PM
Yeah right! You buy new music 'cause you get sick of the old stuff. Duh ;)

Even my all-time-faves only get pulled out once in a while. Great music? Yes, of course. But new music is more exciting. Not unlike a new woman who you don't really like on an emotional or intellectual level. But hey, she's new. :p

You'll be playing the first half of my "mystery" disc for the rest of the year. You may not think so after the first, and perhaps not even after the second spin. But mark these words: once the third spin happens you won't even care about any other music for a good solid week ;)

Oddly enough, I kinda have taken "the pledge" about slacking off new cd's too- so much of what I've bought in the last few months, maybe even the last 6 months, is stuff that I probably haven't listenened to more than twice, just because there have always been new horses in the barn waiting. I think I'll spend some time seriously listening for a change, particularly with the new pre amp finally getting here this afternoon- about ready to give it a test drive.

:p

Dusty Chalk
12-15-2003, 08:05 PM
I've got that same itch, too. And no, it's not just being tired of your old stuff, or uninspired. It's a sickness. I just got to have the latest and greatest. Ooh...Cruxshadows have a new CD out...ooh...that Dismemberment Plan & I CD that everyone's been talking about...oooh...they just rereleased that Anton Fier...etc...oooh, they finally have Múm's Yesterday Was Dramatic - Today Is OK...etc.

I really need to get over that, myself.

I did put the T-Rex back, though. One of these days, but perhaps after I win the lottery. (I know, I know, I gotta play to win. Screw that. Can't they just automatically enter me?)

tentoze
12-15-2003, 09:58 PM
I've got that same itch, too. And no, it's not just being tired of your old stuff, or uninspired. It's a sickness.

O Lord- another addiction to deal with.... I Be Jonesing For That Next Big Musical Epiphany. Latest one is still Sun Kil Moon.

NP: The Band of Blacky Ranchette- noisy recording, but I knew that.

Mr MidFi
12-16-2003, 06:17 AM
I try to keep recycling older stuff, but it keeps getting harder to mix it in with the new. There's simply less time for listening, and more titles to consider.

The most I've ever listened to one album is probably between 400 - 500 times (that would be Genesis Trick of the Tail, BTW). There are probably 60 or 70 titles that I've listened to 100 times or more.

-Jar-
12-16-2003, 06:42 AM
the older I get, the more albums I have.

the older I get, the less free time I have to listen to them.

the younger I was, the more time I had to listen to the albums I had.

I don't get to know albums like I used to, and it kind of upsets me.

I think that's why I've become more song-oriented than album oriented, thus more comp-oriented.

I make and listen to comps. I guess I'll trade the variety of hearing a string of different bands and the emotion sweep I can make sequencing songs to trying to get through an album, which I seldom have time to do in one sitting anyway.

I have a ton of albums I need to listen to more. But, usually what happens is when I grab one of those albums that I haven't heard in months, is that I'll rip a few songs to the hard drive, then those songs will show up in a comp I'm working on. it's an imperfect solution, but It gets me through.

OH.. and I doubt there's an album I've aquired in the past 3 or 4 years that I've listened to more than 10 to 20 times. Going back to the 80's though, I'll be I've spun some of them hunnerts and hunnerts.. like NEW DAY RISING.. THE PUNCH LINE.. PIECE OF MIND.. QUEEN IS DEAD.. TECHNIQUE...DISINTEGRATION.. etc..

-jar

Dave_G
12-16-2003, 06:51 AM
I also listen to several cd's a day.

I usually grab at least 6 to 8 before I leave each morning to "use" during the day.

I've probably listened to "Leftoverture", "Machine Head" and "Tormato" a zillion times each.

But I also force myself to shelve a band I tire of for an indefinite amount of time.

And I also force myself to sometimes grab my handful of titles with selections I really don't have hi up in my preferred list.

It seems of late that the only time I can even listen to music is in the car. Kinda sux.

And I still have lotsa dvd's to watch yet.

Dave

tugmcmartin
12-16-2003, 07:15 AM
I guess theoretically i can listen to something an infinite amount of times. Realistically speaking though, I'd guess my favorites will probably get about 400 to 500 listens in a lifetime. My favorites would be stuff from my Led Zep, Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers and Jimmy Buffett collections, which i've had for about 15 years. I probably listened to those ten times a year or so for the first 5-7 years, five times a year since then probably. And hopefully i still have about 50 years of life left, so that could add up to maybe 400 over a lifetime....

T- (trying to get my post number up so i'm no longer a newbie...)

audiobill
12-18-2003, 05:16 AM
[

One of my new year's resolutions is to severely cut back on the amount of music I buy and concentrate more on what I already have. You heard it here first :)[/QUOTE]

Dave,

I don't believe it. You? Cut back? Is the sky blue? Does a salmon swim upstream? Does Davey buy tons of albums?
Just kiddin' bro.

My "most spins" album/CD has to be Bob Dylans's "Desire". Maybe not quite 100 spins, yet, but pretty darn close.

Good thread,
audiobill

yakkosmurf
12-18-2003, 06:03 AM
My favorite albums are my favorites for a reason. I tend to have a wide range of music I like, so I'll go away from some of them and come back to them later. Good music is good music. When it calms the mind the first few times, it will do the same forever.

nobody
12-19-2003, 06:14 AM
I've surely got favorites that I've listened to hundreds of times. I can't give exact numbers, 'cause I'm nowhere near that organized. But, I'm sure the ones I've listened to for many years have gotten into the hundreds. Heck, I may be nearing a thousand for some of them.

What happens with me is I'll listen to something for a time, get it a bit played out then put it aside. Then, a few months or years later, it sounds good all over again.

What I tend to neglect are the things that fallin the cracks. I either want to hear something new and look for something that just came out, or I reach for an old favorite. The ones that I miss within a year or three can fall by the cracks.

I was thinking about this just last night as I happened to pick up an album from 2001, Dusted: When We Were Young. I missed this one the first time around, but I have to say it was one of the best listens I've had in a while, if you like sorta electronic ambient stuff with interesting beats woven in and out of it.

Oh yeah, and until I goit some packages in the mail recently, I had about 3 months or so where I couldn't buy anything. It did indeed force me to get more entrenched with a few things that I picked up but only listened to briefly. I really think there is more good music coming out all the time than one person can resonably listen to. Sometimes, you just gotta grab what catches your fancy and enjoy without worrying about the stuff you may miss.