Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban-Review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban-Review

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-06-2004, 10:41 AM
I had loads of free time this weekend, so I have alot of reviews to post for you guys. The first one we'll start off with is Harry Potters last offering to DVD. I do not know about anyone else, but I really like the Harry Potter movies because they provide about three hours of total escape from reality, are well crafted and very entertaining.

The opening fifteen minutes or so of The Prisoner of Azkaban aren't handled well at all: we get what amounts to a scene of slapstick humor at the Dursley's home, complete with obtrusive theme music that sounds like it came out of a sitcom. While this is precisely how the book opens, on screen it plays out badly, seeming as though the filmmakers are deliberately catering to the youngest audience members rather than those who have "grown up" along with Harry Potter. Harry's eventual burst of temper and rebellion make sense in the book, since we're privy to his thoughts, but in the film, his actions seem abrupt and slightly out of character. All in all, it's a rather inauspicious start for what turns out to be an excellent film.

Fortunately, however, once Harry leaves the Dursleys, the film settles down to telling its real story, and one useful marker of how well it succeeds is that the nearly two-and-a-half-hour film doesn't feel nearly that long. While never feeling rushed, the story moves along at a brisk pace, with new events always unfolding, and with something always keeping us intrigued by what's going to happen next. Here, the film takes a more assertive tack with adapting the original book, to good result. For instance, the Quiddich matches that that take up a considerable share of the book, and which would have slowed down the film's storyline for no particularly good reason in the film, are cut down to a single scene and altered to incorporate a brush with the Dementors, serving to advance the plot.

I'm pleased to report that Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban has an excellent transfer. The widescreen edition presents the film in its original theatrical 2.35:1 aspect ratio and is anamorphically enhanced.

The image is crisp and clean, with no noise or print flaws appearing anywhere; it's also a nicely detailed transfer, with only a slight amount of edge enhancement appearing in some of the more visually demanding scenes. Colors are handled very well; everything looks natural while also having a bright, vibrant feel. I did notice that contrast seems to be a bit on the heavy side, but I think that we're looking at an artistic decision to make the film, overall, look darker; dark scenes tend to have a lot of black areas, but there's always enough light and detail where it matters.

The Dolby 5.1 soundtrack is, like the video transfer, handled very well, and it certainly adds to the enjoyment of the film. The "meat and potatoes" of the soundtrack is taken care of with crisp, clear dialogue and an effective balance of voices, background music, and special effects. It's the surround sound that gives the track its extra sparkle. Throughout the film, the side and rear channels are used very effectively to create a sense of immersiveness; on many occasions, the directional effects create the impression that you're really in the middle of things, which is particularly effective in the scarier scenes.

I liked the first two movies, but I think that this one is the best of all three.

eisforelectronic
12-07-2004, 05:28 AM
I thought HP3 was a bit dark and while not bad, I did feel it lacked the sense of wonderment the first two possessed. Keep in mind I have not read any of the books, nor do I intend to until they quit making movies.

kexodusc
12-07-2004, 07:35 AM
I'm with eisforelectronic on this one...I found the third HP installment to be behind the other two in terms of excitement, amazement, and plot flow. I'm sure the book came across better. That being said, I still really enjoyed The P of A and might actually like it overall more than the 2nd one.
I never thought I'd be one to care for these movies, but we're 3 films in, and I'm still interested and can't wait for the 4th movie. And that in itself is no easy task...

And the DVD's really have been top notch.

eisforelectronic
12-08-2004, 01:55 AM
I'm with eisforelectronic on this one...I found the third HP installment to be behind the other two in terms of excitement, amazement, and plot flow. I'm sure the book came across better. That being said, I still really enjoyed The P of A and might actually like it overall more than the 2nd one.
I never thought I'd be one to care for these movies, but we're 3 films in, and I'm still interested and can't wait for the 4th movie. And that in itself is no easy task...

And the DVD's really have been top notch.

I thought we were just waiting for Hermine (sp?) to grow up!