The Musical Box- San Francisco [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Musical Box- San Francisco

Troy
12-06-2004, 08:21 AM
I am pretty much stunned.

What a band! What a show!

For those not in the know, "The Musical Box" is a touring French-Canadian Genesis tribute band. But unlike other tribute bands, TMB has all the props, costumes, lighting and staging from Genesis and Peter Gabriel. They are fully sanctioned and blessed by the original band. They play the exact shows as they were played on tour back in the day. This tour was a 100% exact representation of "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" show. They played the entire double album plus "The Musical Box" and "Watcher of the Skies" as the encore.

The drummer was uncanny in his representation of the Phil Collins swing and swagger. The guy was all over the kit (identical to the Collins 70s unit near as I remember) and was even a southpaw like PC. His vocal parts were absolutely perfect. This guy was the centerpiece of the show as far as I'm concerned.

I was struck by the hokey, "High School Pageant" quality of the theatrics. The lighting, props and costumes were very low tech and crude . . . just as they were in 1974, I guess. In comparison to the later Genesis or modern rock shows, pretty unsophisiticated. I didn't expect that, but I liked it, it felt very earnest. The "time capsule" effect was really cool. The Slippermen costume with the inflatable genitalia was hilarious and the rear projection during "The Waiting Room" was spine tingling..

I have new apperciation of some tracks. I totally get partially improvised "The Waiting Room" now. Man, the end section of that was probably the show's highlight for me. Also, "The Chamber of 32 Doors" was exceptionally powerfull in a live setting. "Riding the Scree" too. OTOH, "The Lamia" and the instrumentals bracketing "Slippermen" were too long to me (and they have always felt that way to me).

It was really interesting to see who played what. I was surprised by the lack of bass guitar through large sections. The synth bass pedals were huge. So much of this music was all guitars. Rutherford worked real hard and Hackett had very little to do (I can see why he was so displeased with this tour now). But I keep coming back to the drummer. What a monster.

I can see why this band has legendary status among some members here. Glad they finally came out this way. They are heading out towards New York and the northeast the rest of the month and then off to Europe until May. See them!

Dave_G
12-06-2004, 09:02 AM
Cool that you got to see them finally. Fun night, huh?

Did you enjoy the 2 encores as well?

Dave

Troy
12-06-2004, 09:09 AM
Cool that you got to see them finally. Fun night, huh?

Yes, exceptional!

Did you enjoy the 2 encores as well?

In some ways, more than the main show. I think I'd enjoy the SEBTP show the most.

Dave_G
12-06-2004, 11:00 AM
OT.

Ya, the Selling England shows are killer, at least you got a small sampling.

I'm not nuts about the Lamb but I know I would adore the gig.

I just think the whole thing, the way they pull it off, is amazing.

Dave

Dave_G
12-06-2004, 11:01 AM
1) How crowded was it?

2) Was the audience mellow or what?

Dave

Troy
12-06-2004, 12:30 PM
1) How crowded was it?

It was about 50% full, maybe 500-700 people. The balcony was closed.

Decent sized crowd, actually. SF just isn't that big a progrock city, for whatever reason (I do have a few theories though).

I understand the LA shows both sold out, but I don't know how big the venues were.

2) Was the audience mellow or what?

Yes, Very low key and respectful. Classy venue (mostly classical stuff performed there, I can't imagine WHAT the very aged appearing user staff thought of this weird rockshow) added to this, I think.

90% "grey hair ponytail". Lots of women, maybe 30-40%.

ForeverAutumn
12-06-2004, 12:39 PM
It was about 50% full, maybe 500-700 people. The balcony was closed.

Decent sized crowd, actually. SF just isn't that big a progrock city, for whatever reason (I do have a few theories though).

I understand the LA shows both sold out, but I don't know how big the venues were.

Yes, Very low key and respectful. Classy venue (mostly classical stuff performed there, I can't imagine WHAT the very aged appearing user staff thought of this weird rockshow) added to this, I think.

90% "grey hair ponytail". Lots of women, maybe 30-40%.

It's interesting to hear how different markets react differently. The three times that I've seen TMB in Toronto, the venue has sold out. I'm not sure how many it holds, maybe 1500 (I'm guessing). I'm usually one of only a handful of women. And the crowd is anything but low key! Each time it's been a pretty rowdy crowd. And it's always been fun to watch the really hard-core fans who know every word and every note and stand in the aisles doing their own interpretive dance routines. One guy even got mad and made Barry sit back down in his seat! :D

BarryL
12-06-2004, 01:21 PM
I am pretty much stunned.

What a band! What a show!

See them!

I've seen them three times. Saw the Lamb twice, and I think the other show was Nursery Crime. I liked the Lamb shows better. The slide show makes a big difference in these shows. It's great to hear the music live, but let's face it: Genesis live isn't a case study of visual conert excitement.

Glad they came by your hometown and you were able to see them.

Finch Platte
12-06-2004, 06:05 PM
How were the gin & tonics? :D

Glad it was good. I'm gonna forward your review to my bud who's an old G fan. Or did you copyright it? ;)

fp

3-LockBox
12-10-2004, 10:47 AM
it's always been fun to watch the really hard-core fans who know every word and every note and stand in the aisles doing their own interpretive dance routines. One guy even got mad and made Barry sit back down in his seat! :D

That's a riot!!!

richmon
12-10-2004, 07:08 PM
Errr, highly anticipating this show next Sunday that is.
Thanks for the review, next sunday's Harrisburg Pa show is the next to last one before they go oversea's - they're improving every show, I read.
Funny the lamb was always my least fav of the Gab era albums, always felt he oversang and the concept was obtuse.
Hoping the show turns my head around.

unleasHell
12-16-2004, 04:57 PM
I was at the Hollywood show, sold out, no chairs, standing only on the main floor, 65% older crowd. The other venue was miles away in Whittier, but Hollywood is always trippy, met a woman who new John Fuscanti (? Chili Peppers) and she told me about meeting Steven Wilson....

Great show, fun, sorta too much Lamb, the Singers voice is better suited to a younger Peter Gabriel and I would have LOVED to hear him sing Get Them Out by Friday or Suppers Ready, perhaps next time..

very cool overall

BarryL
12-17-2004, 07:34 AM
That's a riot!!!

Not everybody can appreciate my dance routines.