losing voices during some movies? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : losing voices during some movies?

madmax1
12-05-2004, 05:38 PM
How come on some movies i cant hear the voices? I turn up the volume then when a different scene comes with action or music it's way to loud? But some movies sound fine??

hershon
12-05-2004, 07:22 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, there is somewhere on your receiver where you can set the controls for what is called Dynamic range compression (D.Comp). Options are Mid which is where I have it so you can hear "voices" at a compromise level, Max where you will hear "voices" maximized but sound effects minimized & Off where you will get rid of the voices in your head! ,
How come on some movies i cant hear the voices? I turn up the volume then when a different scene comes with action or music it's way to loud? But some movies sound fine??

Woochifer
12-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Sounds to me like you're using a multichannel system without a center speaker, and the center channel on your receiver is active. If this is the case, then you need to go into your receiver's setup menu and turn the center channel OFF. It's not enough to just unplug the center speaker itself because all of the sound that gets directed into the center channel can only get redirected to the L/R main speakers if you tell the receiver that there's no center speaker.

madmax1
12-06-2004, 08:10 AM
I have paradigm studio 20's as mains, paradigm cc-470 center speaker, servo-15 sub
So yes i do have a center speaker just on some movies it sounds like its not there?

VRDUB
12-06-2004, 09:05 AM
Have you tried turning up the volume for the "center channel only" in the set up menu? I too had this problem and I turned up the center about 1.5dB louder than the rest of the speakers, and to me this was a big improvment.

BillB
12-06-2004, 09:28 AM
Have you set your speakers' distance/delay and then calibrated their levels with internal pink noise?

Have you checked you connections, both speaker and audio?

Is your CC-470 positioned properly?

I have a CC-470v3 atop my Mitsu 55411 and it performs flawlessly.

Bill

jimmymagick
12-06-2004, 10:09 AM
.Don't I wish!

I hear voices in my head all the time, even when I'm not watching movies.

Woochifer
12-06-2004, 11:59 AM
I have paradigm studio 20's as mains, paradigm cc-470 center speaker, servo-15 sub
So yes i do have a center speaker just on some movies it sounds like its not there?

Hmmm, if you already have the center speaker, then I would guess that something's off with the level. Get a SPL meter ($40 at Radio Shack, very handy tool that improves the overall quality of your system) and make sure that the center channel output with a test signal (from your receiver) is identical to the mains. You could also get a test disc like the Sound & Vision Home Theater Setup disc, which has more accurate test tones than what your receiver will typically provide, and a channel ID test

It's also possible that the soundtrack was simply mixed that way with the effects shot way up compared to the dialog.