ATTN DIY'ers and music lovers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ATTN DIY'ers and music lovers

newbsterv2
12-03-2004, 09:56 PM
I would like to take the time to tell you about a great bargain I've encountered recently. The BR-1 bookshelf speaker kit from partsexpress.com. I've been listening to a lot of different speakers lately across a wide range of prices and am absoulutely stunned by the price/performance ratio of these little wonders. They're smooth, well extended in the highs, not forward or laid back, and extremely "musical". I find myself following "a tune" more easily with these speakers than I have with much higher priced competition. RGA always talks about many speakers being to analytical and bright and not having "enough meat on the bones" as he often says but boy to these speakers have some meat! I'd even recommend that you, RGA, buy these speakers for their $140 price tag. The one speaker that to my ears they resemble the closest is the Joseph Audio RM7si bookshelf speaker that retails for $1700. They are a bit of work to put together but they are a great first step into the world of hifi.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-640

kexodusc
12-04-2004, 04:23 AM
Glad to see another positive testimony for the BR-1's. My good friend built a pair several months back,and we were both floored when we heard them. He's built two pairs now to replace the Energy C-3's he had. We found them a lot smoother than the Paradigm Mini-monitors, if not quite as airy and detailed in the highs. Which is fine, because I've found the Monitors just a hair on the bright side.
The imaging and soundstage was every bit as good, and IMO much, much deeper as well.
They're not perfect, and are a bit power hungry, but for the price nothing I've heard even triple their cost can touch them.

If you're impressed with the BR-1's, newbsterv2, you should try the Audioreview.com DIY's found here under the "Learn" section at the top of the page. They make the BR-1's sound like an alarm clock radio.

Jimmy C
12-04-2004, 05:26 AM
...that's what I like about the kit as well. I find the bass a bit sloppy, but I'd rather that than too lean.

I'm curious about the $400 Vifa/Peerless and the other SEAS kit - hhmmmm....

newbsterv2
12-04-2004, 11:21 AM
I was just looking at the Ed Frias DIY kit and can only begin to imagine how good they sound. I mean just the spec sheet on the drivers is really amazing. Most drivers are really uneven but those peerless drivers were ruler flat with no peaks or dips. The drivers are costly but hey you get what you pay for eh?! I've heard lots of speakers and no matter how good those Ed Frias speakers sound I doubt that the BR-1's could ever sound like a clock radio. I can honestly say that I'm very happy I bought the BR-1's and it'll be a good while before I look into new speakers. :)

Glad to see another positive testimony for the BR-1's. My good friend built a pair several months back,and we were both floored when we heard them. He's built two pairs now to replace the Energy C-3's he had. We found them a lot smoother than the Paradigm Mini-monitors, if not quite as airy and detailed in the highs. Which is fine, because I've found the Monitors just a hair on the bright side.
The imaging and soundstage was every bit as good, and IMO much, much deeper as well.
They're not perfect, and are a bit power hungry, but for the price nothing I've heard even triple their cost can touch them.

If you're impressed with the BR-1's, newbsterv2, you should try the Audioreview.com DIY's found here under the "Learn" section at the top of the page. They make the BR-1's sound like an alarm clock radio.

newbsterv2
12-04-2004, 11:24 AM
I'll agree that the bass is a little warm but the bass is still extremely well defined. A perfect example is any jazz album with a walking bass line. Every speaker I ever owned seemed to mess the bass up in one way or another. One bass note always seemed to be louder than the other and it was distracting while trying to listen to music. With the BR-1's they make me forget there are speakers in front of me and just let me enjoy the music. That says a lot for a 140 bucks. :)

...that's what I like about the kit as well. I find the bass a bit sloppy, but I'd rather that than too lean.

I'm curious about the $400 Vifa/Peerless and the other SEAS kit - hhmmmm....

kexodusc
12-04-2004, 12:38 PM
I think this week I may order 2 BR-1 shielded kits, and get to work on one of the Dayton Center channel projects listed on the PE forums for my parents.
They've got my old Paradigm speakers right now...that'd be a big step up.
Wonder how hard it would be to refinish the cabinets in the nice Cherry veneer PE has?

Jimmy C
12-04-2004, 04:07 PM
... the BR1s can also elicit detail that sometimes my Studio 60s can't... interesting. I've always said the Paradigms are a bit "closed in" or dark, but (IMO) the Daytons are also.

One point to ponder is that the 60s will thin out moreso than the Dayton with crappy recordings... BUT, there is a bigger difference when the CD/LP is GOOD - more of a reward with the Paradigms. Is this good or bad?... not sure.

Side-by-side, you can tell the Studios are more "mature", but I can see the cheap BR1s being preferred in some situations. The BR1 box is probably the worst offender... not necessarily the cheap drivers - they do a GREAT job. Let's face it... some expensive speakers use off-the-shelf, inexpensive drivers.

Aw, well... a few more disconnected thoughts... :^P

kexodusc
12-04-2004, 05:42 PM
Some expensive speakers use decent drivers, but mate them with a really crappy, generic, off-the-shelf crossover, or cheapen up on the cabinet materials, and density. I think the latter is done primarily for shipping and convenience purposes. Imagine if Paradigm Titans or PSB Alpha's weighed 45 lbs per pair?

I'm not surprised the BR-1's out-shine the Studios in a few areas. I'm in the process of replacing my Studio 40's and Studio 20's with the EFE Ar.com DIY's. There really is no comparision above 45 Hz in any category. With the money I make selling my Studio's, I think I'm gonna tackle that 1000 watt, 15" subwoofer...
Then back to my stereo speakers, Seas Thors? An A/N kit? We'll see.

newbsterv2
12-04-2004, 06:02 PM
The Paradigm S-60's as well as Momitor 7's have always sounded boxy, dark, and sizzly sounding to me. The recordings? The electronics? How about this....who cares? The BR-1's are a little dark but NEVER boxy or sizzly or bloated or slow. For 140 smackers I'm building another pair just in case anything happens to the ones I have on now ;)

... the BR1s can also elicit detail that sometimes my Studio 60s can't... interesting. I've always said the Paradigms are a bit "closed in" or dark, but (IMO) the Daytons are also.

One point to ponder is that the 60s will thin out moreso than the Dayton with crappy recordings... BUT, there is a bigger difference when the CD/LP is GOOD - more of a reward with the Paradigms. Is this good or bad?... not sure.

Side-by-side, you can tell the Studios are more "mature", but I can see the cheap BR1s being preferred in some situations. The BR1 box is probably the worst offender... not necessarily the cheap drivers - they do a GREAT job. Let's face it... some expensive speakers use off-the-shelf, inexpensive drivers.

Aw, well... a few more disconnected thoughts... :^P

kexodusc
12-05-2004, 04:26 AM
How does a speaker sound both dark and sizzly?
Interestingly enough, the Studio 60's are the only larger Paradigm speaker that actually don't sound a bit boxy. They're just a bit too much for me.
Most of the Monitors (at least the v2 I use to own) were very a bit on the bright side though.
The Mini Monitor was right there the day I listened to the BR-1. While not as deep or as punchy and accurate in the lower bass region (40-50Hz for these speakers), I felt the BR-1 was slightly better at just about everything else. A great value for sure. I wouldn't even lie to someone and suggest they're on the same level as the Studio 60's though. They just aren't. Who cares, though...you can build a whole 7 speaker home theater for the price of the 60's.

newbsterv2
12-05-2004, 11:24 AM
To me "dark" refers to the perspective that the speaker seems to reproduce. Sizzly on the other hand is how smooth the treble is. The Grado SR-60 headphone is both dark and a little sizzly sounding at the same time. To me at least.

How does a speaker sound both dark and sizzly?
Interestingly enough, the Studio 60's are the only larger Paradigm speaker that actually don't sound a bit boxy. They're just a bit too much for me.
Most of the Monitors (at least the v2 I use to own) were very a bit on the bright side though.
The Mini Monitor was right there the day I listened to the BR-1. While not as deep or as punchy and accurate in the lower bass region (40-50Hz for these speakers), I felt the BR-1 was slightly better at just about everything else. A great value for sure. I wouldn't even lie to someone and suggest they're on the same level as the Studio 60's though. They just aren't. Who cares, though...you can build a whole 7 speaker home theater for the price of the 60's.