best optical cable quality but cheap price [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : best optical cable quality but cheap price

amb7247
12-03-2004, 08:32 PM
I have a regular optical cable for my xbox but since I am getting an new receiver yahama HTR-5740, I'd like to get a quality cable but cheap. Radio shack or retail stores are way over priced for what they have.

Any ideas of what stores have good quality ones. Want to get the best sound I can from the dvd player to the receiver.

N. Abstentia
12-04-2004, 04:22 AM
What exactly is wrong with the optical cable you have? If it's broken, go to Walmart and get one. If it's not broken, don't worry about it.

kexodusc
12-04-2004, 04:36 AM
Try ebay, you can usually find AR cables really, really cheap there. I've ordered probably hundreds for people now, never been burned once.
You don't need anything too fancy...optical cables are pretty straight forward, and either work or don't from what I've seen. Walmart is good too.

Uhh...N. Abstentia, buddy...Don't think the guy can use his current X-box cable because he says he's looking to get one from his DVD player to his receiver. Unless his X-box IS his DVD player.

markw
12-04-2004, 07:20 AM
Just asking...

kexodusc
12-04-2004, 07:25 AM
Good point...Coaxial does seem to be more...durable than optical...I haven't seen an xbox accessory that provides for this type of connection...maybe there is though?

amb7247
12-04-2004, 08:00 AM
so it basically doesn't matter whether it's a cheapie optical cable or a monster optical cable?

kexodusc
12-04-2004, 08:12 AM
The only thing I've found with cheap cables, is they aren't as durable as the coax cables. My first digital cable was a Monster, actually, and somewhere in the path, a tear, break, kink or whatever it's called happened...I'd have to manipulate the cable to allow the signal to flow through.
But I'm not sure what a cheap cable does to deteriorate the flow of light pulses, 1's and 0's if you will...