The Chronicles of Riddick ..great sound, confusing [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Chronicles of Riddick ..great sound, confusing

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-03-2004, 11:09 AM
Pitch Black is a movie that I really liked, so when the sequel came out, I had high hopes that it would be really good. Well, I was a little let down. I watched this movie, and walked away totally confused at what David Twohy was trying to do with this movie.

The film opens years after the first film, once again introducing us to Riddick (Vin Diesel), who is once again on the run from bounty hunters. After escaping from his latest persuers, he finds his way back to Inam (Keith David), who - with an air elemental (Judi Dench) - convince Riddick that he is the only one that can save their planet (and others) from the Necromongers, a race of war-happy individuals who are laying waste to one planet after another and claiming them as their own, assimilating whoever accepts and destroying who doesn't. Lead by the Lord Marshal (Colm Feore), they are seeking out the utopian "Underverse".

Riddick is there as the planet is assaulted, but isn't able to do much, as he's quickly outnumbered and outgunned. However, when he's captured by the Necromongers, he figures a way to escape in the middle of a process that scans his thoughts. He then flies off to the prison planet Crematoria to seek out Jack, a girl from the original, who now goes by Kyra (Alexa Davalos). Once the two meet up again, they have to escape from Crematoria, which manages a toasty 700 degrees in the daylight. Meanwhile, Lady Vaako (Thandie Newton) and Lord Vaako (Karl Urban) are dispatched to persue Riddick, as the Lord Marshal has other plans for him.

This movies visuals are outstanding, and with the soundtrack, the only thing that really kept me watching this movie. Production design is excellent, visual effects are strong, but not always seamless. Costume design is flat out excellent, and Vin Diesel plays Riddick extremely well. The screenplay does not always make very good sense, but the plot and the pacing is relentless throwing new faces, and new places at you without pause.

I got the unrated directors cut, and there is about 15 minutes of extra footage on the DVD that wasn't seen theatrically. These additions are mostly character development, and violence that would have certainly had this movie rated "R".

"Riddick" is presented by Universal in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen. The presentation from Universal is certainly a first-rate effort; while not flawless, the picture quality is often stellar. Sharpness and detail remained magnificent throughout much of the film, as fine details were often visible and the picture boasted nice depth. A few wide shots seemed slightly softer, but the majority of the film looked crystal clear.

The picture did suffer from a few minor flaws, but these were hardly an issue. Very slight edge enhancement was noticed during a couple of the brighter scenes, while a trace or two of pixelation was also noticed. It appears this DVD was sourced from a very good print

This movie boasts a VERY dynamic Dolby digital soundtrack. Unfortunately, no DTS track is included here. As one might expect, the film's soundtrack is a grandly aggressive time at the movies, with surrounds fueled up for near-constant use. The rears are employed exceptionally well for delivering directional sound effects, ambience and reinforcement of the score. Sound effects are smoothly integrated and envelop the viewer exceptionally well. If you have EX decoding, engage it, as it lends itself well to this soundtrack.

Audio quality was superlative, as effects seemed well-recorded and forceful, music was dynamic and nicely balanced in with everything else and finally, dialogue remained crisp and clear. Bass was heavy, but never overwhelming. Imaging is wide, deep, and finely layered, dialog is alway crisp and easy to understand even when effect get heavy.

I am going to watch this movie again to see if the second viewing gives me a greater understanding of what is going on. A good evening popcorn flick, but I would rent it first just to be sure this is your cup of tea.

Stay tuned for the Spidey 2 Superbit review.

eisforelectronic
12-03-2004, 03:18 PM
I liked it better than "Pitch Black" actually. I gotta agree, the sound was quite impressive as were the visuals.