Athena subs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Athena subs

zepman1
12-03-2004, 11:06 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the Athena line of subwoofers? They seem to be a decent value for the money, but don't know anyone who has bought one. Would I be better off getting a Velodyne or Infinity in the $300-$400 price range for a new sub. Will be used for both HT and music but would prefer a more "musical" sub, allowing that it will be a little weaker for the HT.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark111867
12-03-2004, 02:58 PM
I have the Athena AS-P300. Have had it for maybe a year and a half. It is used mainly for music with a pair of Mirage stand-mount speakers. I have been happy with it and my system sounds better with it than without it, in my opinion. Haven't had any problems with it as far as quality goes. Built solidly. Good luck with whatever you buy.

nightflier
12-03-2004, 04:04 PM
Say, $500-600, then try an HSU or SVS sub. They can go much lower than most subs in their price-range. And they do so at very high volumes with very flat curves. After much research, I purchased the 16-46 from SVS and I use it with a surround-sound SACD setup. The bass, particularly for classical music is markedly better and for movies the chair moves over the floor if I turn it up. The only drawback is that it is a big unit and may not go with all decors out there, but I wasn't too concerned about that. SVS has a 30-day return policy, if you're not satisfied, but I doubt you will want to use it.

Dale M
12-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Athena line of subwoofers? They seem to be a decent value for the money, but don't know anyone who has bought one. Would I be better off getting a Velodyne or Infinity in the $300-$400 price range for a new sub. Will be used for both HT and music but would prefer a more "musical" sub, allowing that it will be a little weaker for the HT.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi. I have the Athena AS-P00 and I like it,, only use it for HT, have had it close to a year now and it works well,,
Dale M