To what music era do you listen most? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : To what music era do you listen most?

Davey
12-03-2004, 09:00 AM
This might be kind of fun. I tend mostly to talk about new music from the last year, but when I really look at what I listen to most and overall, I probably fall in the last 10 years category. Before that it drops off pretty quickly, although I do listen to music regularly from all eras. Mostly 90s and 70s I guess. Could be the last 5 years too, but in the group of CDs getting regular rotation with me lately, a lot are from the mid 90s onward so I'll say 10.

Hyfi
12-03-2004, 09:14 AM
This might be kind of fun. I tend mostly to talk about new music from the last year, but when I really look at what I listen to most and overall, I probably fall in the last 10 years category. Before that it drops off pretty quickly, although I do listen to music regularly from all eras. Mostly 90s and 70s I guess. Could be the last 5 years too, but in the group of CDs getting regular rotation with me lately, a lot are from the mid 90s onward so I'll say 10.

Like Gallager, I'm still "Stuck In The Sixties".

Still like Jazz from all eras but hate most rock from the last 20 or more years. If they scream instead of sing, I turn it off.

kexodusc
12-03-2004, 10:16 AM
I wasn't really of an age to appreciate music until the late 80's, so the 90's forward is probably my biggest influence as I really got into music during that decade.
Thing is, as I got bored of the current scene I found myself reaching out to new genres and periods of musical history. If I really got into something, I'd check out some of their influences. Then other similar groups, then their influences, and so forth. This led me to the Blues and Classical. Then the Blues led me to Jazz, etc.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that about 1/3 of my listening is dated from 1990-current, more than any other period, but I've got a ton of classical music that's VERY old, lots of Blues from the 40's-70's, etc. In fact, the early 80's pop/rock and late 90's/early 00's pop/rock is probably the thinnest parts of my collection.

Somewhere along the line I get the feeling that music has become less about the music, and more about the image/business...maybe that's just me, I wasn't around way back to judge.

DarrenH
12-03-2004, 10:37 AM
No specific era. I dig it all except for maybe 50's rock 'n' roll. That period of rock music just never cliqued with me.

Troy
12-03-2004, 02:00 PM
In glancing around the office at the 40 or so CDs in here, I gotta say that it's all over the map. I tend to not go much earlier than 1970 or so with any regularity, but everything after that is fair game.

BillB
12-03-2004, 05:29 PM
Most of my CDs are from 1990-1999, the second largest is from 2000-present. The 60's nudge the 70's by a bit, the 80's a distant 5th and before 1960 dead last by far.

What might be for another thread is the fact that 63% are from artists from the UK, 36% from the US, and 1% from other countries.

I'm 28 and live in the US.

Bill

Jim Clark
12-03-2004, 06:52 PM
It's all good man. OK, not all good but "it's mostly all good" lacks the power of recognition. I don't have much 50's, but what I do is great. It's still fun to bust out Beatlebob's fifties comps from time to time. Not much from the 60's appeal to me much at all except some Kinks and Surf rock. 70's, well there's a boat load of singles that I like but overall, not many albums that I can stomach so the few I have tend to stay on the shelf most of their life. Begining with the eighties we get into a place where by and large whole albums appeal to me. Strange in a way since the eighties are somewhat known as the era of the one hit wonder. I suspect that MTV is to blame more than anything. So many new bands and new to me bands coming out of nowhere that there simply wasn't time to digest a whole album although some outstanding ones where created. 90's for me was at least partially a continuation of the 80's. Until the age of the internet I''d never known anyone who shared a love for music in quite the same way it hits me, I guess that's probably a fairly common theme around here. The point is that during the 90's I was head first into the corp. world and while I still loved finding ans listening to music, my free time was down and I simply didn't have access to any new discoveries throughout much of the 90's. The stuff was there, but I didn't know about it. A ton of really great stuff that I missed.

Fast forward to today I spend most of my time now disgesting stuff from 2004 and still find time to pull out favorites from all time periods throughout the week, but the focus is new. For me the connection to the Clever Cactus network created through Obner has let me listen to just about any release I want which has been awesome. Makes those purchases easier to wade through, tougher to find the money to pay for.

Nice thread you got here Db

jc

Dusty Chalk
12-03-2004, 08:44 PM
Mostly recent stuff. Then it's a three-way tie between 70's, 80's, and 90's. 70's goes on mostly in my head, because that's what's stuck. I actually kind of like Linn Drums, so I dig the 80's. 90's just happens to have some very pleasant memories associated with them -- and since my memory is kind of like cheese cloth, I'll take what I can get.

Swish
12-04-2004, 08:13 AM
I just like fresh music since I don't really have the time to listen nearly as much as I'd like. From there it would be 90s then 80s, 70s and 60s in that order.

ForeverAutumn
12-04-2004, 01:22 PM
I have to say the last five years. Until I discovered how much great music I could find on the internet and, expecially, recs from this board I was getting really bored with music in general. There was very little new music coming out that appealed to me.

During those many years of boredom, I discovered that I loved the older prog stuff and since I was too young in the 70's to appreciate the music when it first came out, I spent a lot of the 90's discovering the 70's. So, if you had asked me a few years ago, I would have said that most of the music that I listened to was from the 70's.

Now that I've discovered sources outside of radio to find new music on, I'm finding lots of new stuff that I like. I still listen to a lot of 70's stuff, but looking at the stacks of music that are currently getting regular play...it's almost all post-2000.

Dave_G
12-05-2004, 06:03 AM
For me, start about 65 or 66, but very little from then, Doors and a small bit of Beatles. But mostly, like Mr. Designshed, 1970 + = my passion, any era. I like new wave, punk, reggae, rock, prog, a teeny tiny bit of Jazz and classical.

Never got into the real old school releases of bands like the Stones, Who, Byrds, et al.

Most of the new stuff, other than prog, is hard for me to dig. I do like the Killers tho and some of the new prog, of course.

Maybe it's time for me to give newer stuff a try?

Dave