Q about low end a/v receivers.. for a second system... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Q about low end a/v receivers.. for a second system...

stan2
12-03-2004, 08:38 AM
the usual recommends for receivers include denon, yam, onkyo, marantz, maybe a couple others. do any of these manufacturers low end models stand out? or, is there a price point or model in their line-ups where you don't want to go below because they build with clearly less-than good enuf internals? i'm considering what to get for a mostly kid or second system. i see the adds for onkyo and yamaha on sale for under $200 pretty regularly. are these 'bottom of the line' receivers to be avoided? or is it significantly worth spending $50-100 to move up the product line and get a much better system? or for that matter, at the low end, do i do just as well getting the sherwood for $79 and replace it in 2 yrs?! thx ...

Hawkeye
12-03-2004, 09:47 AM
the usual recommends for receivers include denon, yam, onkyo, marantz, maybe a couple others. do any of these manufacturers low end models stand out? or, is there a price point or model in their line-ups where you don't want to go below because they build with clearly less-than good enuf internals?

I think if I were you, for the kind of money you're looking to spend, you might be better off looking used. Look at ebay or audiogon. You usually can get more bang for your limited buck that way. Good luck.

kexodusc
12-03-2004, 10:53 AM
I agree with Hawkeye, but if you insist on buying new, you will find that Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz, etc usually incorporate a very high percentage of the parts of higher-end models in their lower end models...the trickle down effect, if you will.
For a 2nd system, I'd rest assured sticking with these reputable companies "low-end" models.
There's really nothing "low-end" about them...you're just paying for less features, less power, less bells and whistles, but not less quality.

hershon
12-03-2004, 11:20 AM
I actually get better deals, I always buy new sealed electronic stuff on Amazon.com from the merchants listed niot Amazon per se. Amazon gets a piece of the merchants action which is why they list them under "new & used" for the item. On Ebay, both the sellers and buyer/shills have gotten ridiculously stupid and greedy and their prices for the most part aren't worth it. IE, you have to be a moron, and if the shoe fits in this case I don't appologize, sorry, to buy something for 10-15% cheaper on Ebay than you could get retail because it isn't worth the hassles. Alot of the moronic sellers on Ebay have the minimum bids so close to retail or what a chain store would sell at retail like Best Buy, its not funny.
The buyers for the most part are equally as stupid. If you're going to save 25% or more after shipping on a new sealed item or hard to find item, go ahead, but these idiots bid in such a way they're saving peanuts. Having said that, you can get good prices on Ebay for items less than $100 such as surge protectors, monster cable, etc. that are sold using buy it now option from regulat large scale Ebay dealers as well as good prices on external computer DVD recorders.

I think if I were you, for the kind of money you're looking to spend, you might be better off looking used. Look at ebay or audiogon. You usually can get more bang for your limited buck that way. Good luck.

Hawkeye
12-03-2004, 02:56 PM
I actually get better deals, I always buy new sealed electronic stuff on Amazon.com from the merchants listed niot Amazon per se. Amazon gets a piece of the merchants action which is why they list them under "new & used" for the item.

That's a good point hershon. I've bought cds from the new/used area but never hifi equipment. Makes sense though.

hershon
12-03-2004, 04:12 PM
I always check out Amazon.com first for stuff like CD's as far as used rates and compare them to items on Ebay. If something is on both Amazon and Ebay and the Ebay's current bid price is close to Amazon/Amazon used/new merchant I'll buy directly from Amazon. I usually buy import CD's straight from Amazon and rarely buy CD's in stores period as they usually don't have much back stock anyway. In alot of cases, if I don't find the CD I buy from Amazon/Ebay that great, I'll make a CDR of it for myself and resell it on Amazon or Ebay. In some strange instances I've actually made money doing this. Ebay is good for: 1. Finding hard to find one off items like a deleted book/DVD, an "unreleased" movie and or tapes of complete TV series such as "Get A Life" by the great Chris Elliot" and Boris Karloff's Thriller, that are not commercially released at decent quality and reasonable rates. 2. Items such as new Monster cable etc. which you can get at good prices by regular Ebay wholesellers at excellent below market prices. What I don't like about Ebay are sellers listing such noncense as "newly refurbished" HD TV, "preprinted autographed photos" which are described as such in small print, etc. I wish I could have purchased my 2 HD TV's online, the problem was with the shipping it wasn't worth doing.

That's a good point hershon. I've bought cds from the new/used area but never hifi equipment. Makes sense though.

Geoffcin
12-03-2004, 05:56 PM
the usual recommends for receivers include denon, yam, onkyo, marantz, maybe a couple others. do any of these manufacturers low end models stand out? or, is there a price point or model in their line-ups where you don't want to go below because they build with clearly less-than good enuf internals? i'm considering what to get for a mostly kid or second system. i see the adds for onkyo and yamaha on sale for under $200 pretty regularly. are these 'bottom of the line' receivers to be avoided? or is it significantly worth spending $50-100 to move up the product line and get a much better system? or for that matter, at the low end, do i do just as well getting the sherwood for $79 and replace it in 2 yrs?! thx ...

Pioneer, and Harmon Kardon both sell their returns receivers there at a marked discount. Unlike buying used, these come with a warrantee.

stan2
12-03-2004, 06:13 PM
i'll go shopping now.