XTC poll. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : XTC poll.

Finch Platte
12-02-2004, 06:18 PM
This is going on over at the obner.com forum. Someone asked what would be the best place to start w/ XTC. They also asked which XTC disc you like the best (no, Mummer's not on the list).

Here's the results, so far (I voted for Black Sea, and English Settlement would be close behind).

Name of disc/percentage/no. of votes.

White Music
0% [ 0 ]
Drums & Wires
28% [ 2 ]
Black Sea
28% [ 2 ]
English Settlement
14% [ 1 ]
The Big Express
0% [ 0 ]
Skylarking
0% [ 0 ]
Nonsuch
0% [ 0 ]
Apple Venus
14% [ 1 ]
Fossil Fuel: The Singles 1977-1992
14% [ 1 ]

Your vote would be.....?

fp

mad rhetorik
12-02-2004, 07:27 PM
I vote <b>Black Sea</b>. It's the only XTC album I own, though I have heard <b>Skylarking</b> and <b>Drums & Wires</b> from a family member's vinyl collection as well. I liked those two, but in my opinion <b>Black Sea</b> was the ideal fusion of their "herky-jerky" earlier sound with the pastoral, Beatles-esque sounds they tried later. "Travels In Nihilon" and "Respectable Street" are classic, and the rest ain't shabby either.

BTW Eff Pee, did you get my comp yet? My computer recently went bye-bye and took all the comp stuff with it. Too bad.

Jim Clark
12-02-2004, 08:21 PM
There's a couple of excellent XTC comps floating around here, I have 2. I'd start with those, you may decide that's enough or need them all. Seeing how I owe you, I could send them.

jc

Troy
12-02-2004, 09:55 PM
First of all, what is obner.com?

English Settlement as the intro disc, though some people I'd give Skylarking to.

and then a favorite is really hard. Big Express? Oranges and Lemons?

Davey
12-02-2004, 10:11 PM
First of all, what is obner.com?

English Settlement as the intro disc, though some people I'd give Skylarking to.

and then a favorite is really hard. Big Express? Oranges and Lemons?
Finchy meant to say obner.org as in http://obner.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1349 ... just another music site like this but with a younger crowd and no ads. A few of us have been posting over there for the last month or so since it's been so slow here.

And I pretty much agree with what Troy says although I never did like Big Express much.

Troy
12-02-2004, 11:00 PM
Big Express suffered from Linn drums, a commmon problem with a lot of albums in the early 80s. Still, there's a lot of really strong songs on there. Such great writing.

I'll havta check out that other board . . .

Dave_G
12-03-2004, 05:32 AM
I like all XTC albums a lot, the first couple are a little weak and immature, but Black Sea, English Settlement, Nonsuch, Skylarking, Mummur, et al are very very good.

I'm one of those fans who doesn't really dig Oranges and Lemons as much as the other titles.

I'm also one of the fans who got to see them in concert in the early 80's. Excellent.

I love this band's music. The last 2 albums are different, though, but the band has changed.

Dave

Finch Platte
12-03-2004, 06:44 AM
Big Express suffered from Linn drums, a commmon problem with a lot of albums in the early 80s. Still, there's a lot of really strong songs on there. Such great writing.

I'll havta check out that other board . . .

You're quick, Mr. Design Shed. :D

fp

BTW, there's a Mix forum over at Obner, too. :eek:

Finch Platte
12-03-2004, 06:46 AM
BTW Eff Pee, did you get my comp yet? My computer recently went bye-bye and took all the comp stuff with it. Too bad.

Haven't seen it.

That sucks about your 'pooter. What a pisser.

fp

Finch Platte
12-03-2004, 06:52 AM
There's a couple of excellent XTC comps floating around here, I have 2. I'd start with those, you may decide that's enough or need them all. Seeing how I owe you, I could send them.

jc

I have all the XTC I want. The newer stuff does nada for me.

Now, if someone had a disc of stuff that I have on vinyl, consisting of some of the remakes/dubs/extended versions, that I would lust after.

Thanks anyhoo, JC.

fp

DariusNYC
12-03-2004, 09:57 AM
My favorite XTC album is Modern Life is Rubbish . . . . Oh wait, actually that's my favorite Kinks album. So actually my real favorite XTC album is Black Sea. Best into depends on which era you feel the person would sympathize with more easily. But I expect it's either Black Sea or English Settlement, on the one hand, or Skylarking on the other. So I mostly agree with Troy on that point.

Mr MidFi
12-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Black Sea is a fairly easy choice for me, especially the recent Japanese remaster. It's a 5-star classic in my book. After that, I really like Oranges & Lemons a lot. Nonsuch has its moments, but is sorta hit/miss for me...same with Drums & Wires. Skylarking I don't quite like as much as a lot of people seem to, but it redeems itself with a couple of great cuts (Dear God and Earn Enough for Us).