Will a headphone amp *really* make a difference? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Will a headphone amp *really* make a difference?

wmelton
12-02-2004, 04:13 PM
I am about to purchase a set of Grado SR-125s for use w/ my Denon 1705 and Yamaha RX-V495 receivers. Any opinions whether or not the headphone jacks provided by these receivers specifically (or current generation receivers generally) will be sufficient to provide good sound? Will a $500+ headphone amp *really* improve the sound? Thanks much.

RGA
12-02-2004, 04:37 PM
For Grado I might opt not to buy a headphone amp. Can they make an improvement "certainly" will it necessarily be $500.00 better? Not necessarily.

woodman
12-02-2004, 05:46 PM
I am about to purchase a set of Grado SR-125s for use w/ my Denon 1705 and Yamaha RX-V495 receivers. Any opinions wether or not the headphone jacks provided by these receivers specifically (or current generation receivers generally) will be sufficient to provide good sound? Will a $500+ headphone amp *really* improve the sound? Thanks much.

I'll sum up for you in but one word what I think of $500 headphone amps ...

FUGGITABOUDIT.

Would it outperform (sound "better") than the signal supplied by the headphone jack on a receiver? Probably so. What's vitally important however is just how much better? I'd say something on the order of 2 or 3%. If that little gain in performance is "worth" $500 to you, I'd say that your priorities are more than a bit askew. IMO, a $500 'phone amp is a product designed specifically to be sold to gullible audio CONEs with more money than brains.

Save your money ... enjoy the sound available from the headphone jacks on your receivers ... don't look back ... you'll thank me in the morning.

vr6ofpain
12-02-2004, 07:22 PM
I dont know about headphone amps, I am interested in finding out the answer to your question....but more to the point, I can almost guarantee that you will enjoy the 125's.

I got some SR-80's very recently. They are awesome. Way better than any headphone I have heard, well other than my buddies RS-1's. They sound quite similar, we are gonna compare them sometime. I think the SR-80's blow away the Senn HD-590's which are priced over $200.

SR-80's on sale at Cambridge Soundworks....$80. Can't beat that.

RGA
12-02-2004, 08:07 PM
The bigger Sennheisers however require a headphone amp - IMO the HD600 is a better can than the RS 1 - so is the HD 580. I did not like the HD 590 either.

JamezHill
12-02-2004, 10:47 PM
OK, Here is where I sound like a complete Newbie, I remember seeing what the word CONE meant a long time ago but forgot. Wasn't it an acronym for something? Thanks :)

Haoleb
12-02-2004, 11:26 PM
Im using a Grado RA1 clone i built with my SR125's. I can notice a difference. I wouldnt not pay the $350 retail for the real thing but 30 bucks in parts is worth it. I wouldnt not spend 500 or more for an amp when you could put that money for better phones and then buy a cheaper amp or build one.

I have been really wanting to try mine out with a tubed headphone amp. I am addicted to tubes so i think it might be the next step :)

woodman
12-03-2004, 08:07 AM
OK, Here is where I sound like a complete Newbie, I remember seeing what the word CONE meant a long time ago but forgot. Wasn't it an acronym for something? Thanks :)

Fret not, Jamez ... you're not alone by any means. CONE is indeed an acronym - one that yours truly coined some years back. Although I've noticed several other people using it, it is far from being an "accepted" part of the audio/video language. FYI, it translates as:

Compulsive - Obsessive - Nitpicking - Exaggerator

Feel less like a complete Newbie now?

vr6ofpain
12-03-2004, 08:40 PM
Im using a Grado RA1 clone i built with my SR125's. I can notice a difference. I wouldnt not pay the $350 retail for the real thing but 30 bucks in parts is worth it. I wouldnt not spend 500 or more for an amp when you could put that money for better phones and then buy a cheaper amp or build one.

I have been really wanting to try mine out with a tubed headphone amp. I am addicted to tubes so i think it might be the next step :)

you have a list of the parts? you should make them and sell them!

The_OC_King
12-07-2004, 08:18 PM
I am about to purchase a set of Grado SR-125s for use w/ my Denon 1705 and Yamaha RX-V495 receivers. Any opinions whether or not the headphone jacks provided by these receivers specifically (or current generation receivers generally) will be sufficient to provide good sound? Will a $500+ headphone amp *really* improve the sound? Thanks much.

You can build your own "CMOY" headphone amp for 50-100 dollars, depending on the components you choose. It will offer you a decent improvement in sound quality, and it's a fun project! Just search on google for "cmoy" or "how to build a cmoy" or something along those lines:)

vr6ofpain
12-09-2004, 08:09 AM
You can build your own "CMOY" headphone amp for 50-100 dollars, depending on the components you choose. It will offer you a decent improvement in sound quality, and it's a fun project! Just search on google for "cmoy" or "how to build a cmoy" or something along those lines:)

maybe with a portable. i don't think those will improve the sound over say a decent headphone jack on a receiver or preamp. probably worst, by adding more components in the line to add noise.

john_jcb
12-11-2004, 10:54 AM
The Grado's are one of the easiest headphones to drive and while they will benefit from a decent headphone amp the difference is far less than you will hear with the higher impedance Sennheiser's. Headphone jacks on most equipment are often an afterthought and normally very cheaply done. I personally find Grado's very uncomfortable but they have a good sound un-amped out of most equipment.

Haoleb
12-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Heres my webpage with some info about building the grado if you want. Has stuff like a parts list and junk.

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/fcaihifi/haoleb/headphoneamp.htm