Magnepan 1.6 and Jolida 502B or other amps? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Magnepan 1.6 and Jolida 502B or other amps?

airdough49
12-02-2004, 08:16 AM
I am really set on getting the Magnepan 1.6 speakers. I was wondering if the Jolida 502B tube amp would be a good match for these speakers. Those who have magnepans, pleaese advise on the best amp to compliment them in the <$1200 range. Thanks.

topspeed
12-02-2004, 11:27 AM
Is that Jolida going to be stable enough to drive the Maggies? They have a 4 ohm nominal load and I'll bet they drop into the high 1's or low 2's. You might try PM'ing Geoffcin, he has Maggies.

airdough49
12-02-2004, 12:00 PM
The jolida can be configured for 4 ohms, but I dont know if it will be stable down to 2 ohms, does the impedence really change that much? If anyone has any experience with the Jolida and low impedence speakers, please let me know. Thanks

markw
12-02-2004, 05:50 PM
seriously doubt you'll have enough power to drive them to a comfortable level or to do justice to what they can do. My NAD 214 was sucked dry when trying to drive my 1.6's to a comfortable level. It was rated to 80 wpc @ 8 ohms and considerably more at 4 ohms. They opened up when driven with a Rotel RB991, which put out close to 300 wpc @ 4 ohms.I

Geoffcin
12-02-2004, 06:10 PM
I am really set on getting the Magnepan 1.6 speakers. I was wondering if the Jolida 502B tube amp would be a good match for these speakers. Those who have magnepans, pleaese advise on the best amp to compliment them in the <$1200 range. Thanks.

On the type of music you like, and how loud you like to play it. The 1.6qr is not a difficult load, and if the Jolida is rated for 4ohm use it should drive them fine. Tubes and maggies have been used for many years, and some people swear by them. I find that the 1.6 are a "warm"(there's that word again!) and forgiving speaker, at least a lot more forgiving than my 3.6s, and mate surprisingly well with a lot more SS, and tube amps.

Right now I'm driving my maggies with a PS Audio HCA-2. While this amp has recently be discontinued, it along with a handful of other amps were on the forefront of the new class "D" amp tech. On the used market this amp is well within your price range.

Lord_Magnepan
12-02-2004, 07:34 PM
Look for a Pathos Acoustics Classic One, works wonderfully with it. Make sure the AMP has lots of current. The 1.6 will stick with 4 Ohm an not drop noticeably.

Planar Asylun,,,,,,,all Maggies Click here (http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MUG/bbs.html)

Welcome to the world were the music lives :p

Here is a picture

http://www.maggiefanclub.de/pics/pathos.jpg

airdough49
12-03-2004, 08:42 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I like all types of music. I currently have a pair of klipsch KLF-20's that are great for rock and "loud music". But what I really enjoy is jazz, classical, bluegrass, I listen to a lot of Norah Jones, Alison Krauss, Diana Krall, etc. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-650 that I use for this type of music, because the Klipsch just doesnt cut it. So I guess what I am after is life like vocals, and clear instrumentals, if that makes sense? Would you still suggest SS, or is Tube the way to go here? Thanks

texlle
12-03-2004, 11:49 AM
If that is the type of music you listen to, I think you will be set. And I do believe the Jolida should be able to drive the maggies. I have heard them on tubes before and they sound magnificent with nice jazz, acoustic guitar, vocals, but with rock, the system sounded a little laid-back which is to be expected. Good luck. ;)

Lord_Magnepan
12-03-2004, 01:16 PM
Try a hybrid. Tube in the Pre-Stage and a Solid State Power Stage. Best of both worlds ;-)

rdavisgray
01-06-2005, 09:51 AM
I have an 801A driving a pair of MMGs. Plenty of power for rock, beautiful with Norah Jones, great for jazz.

70 watts per channel into 8 ohms w/ 4 ohm taps.

Not sure of impedence differnce between MMG and 1.6

newbsterv2
01-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Is that Jolida going to be stable enough to drive the Maggies? They have a 4 ohm nominal load and I'll bet they drop into the high 1's or low 2's. You might try PM'ing Geoffcin, he has Maggies.

The 1.6's never drop down below 4 ohms and both frequency extremes. The midband however has an extremely high impedance around 20 ohms. If the 502B has an output that is marked 4 ohms I'd connect the speakers there. However with all the good quality solid state amplifiers out there that are priced significantly lower than the tubey 502B my question is this. Why bother with tubes??