Help Please! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help Please!

tlax25
12-02-2004, 07:05 AM
Hello,

I recently changed from Bose AMS 15 speakers to the Canton Movie22X2 system. What is the best way to connect the system? My receiver is, I believe, a Denon 2802. I currently have all the speakers wired directly into my receiver, which is what my salesman at ABT recommended. Is this best, or should I wire them into the subwoofer? Also, I cannot seem to figure out how to connect the subwoofer to my receiver. Any help there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

topspeed
12-02-2004, 11:20 AM
Don't wire them into the subwoofer. Leave them wired into the correct binding posts on your Denon. The LFE output should be single rca type output labeled either "LFE" or "Sub" near the binding posts for your other speakers. Run a single rca cable from the receiver to the sub input. You will be bypassing the sub's crossover this way will use the bass management (crossover) from the Denon. I'd set all of your speakers to "Small" and let your sub handle all your LFE and bass.

Hope this helps

BRANDONH
12-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Hello,

I recently changed from Bose AMS 15 speakers to the Canton Movie22X2 system. What is the best way to connect the system? My receiver is, I believe, a Denon 2802. I currently have all the speakers wired directly into my receiver, which is what my salesman at ABT recommended. Is this best, or should I wire them into the subwoofer? Also, I cannot seem to figure out how to connect the subwoofer to my receiver. Any help there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
I looked up your speaker system and the sub is an active sub Non-amplified
And I looked up a Denon 2805 similar your Denon 2802 and it does not appear to have an amplified subwoofer output on the back panel. Thats why you cant find the + - connection on the back panel because it only has a single RCA sub woofer output.
This reveiver requires an amplified subwoofer.
I believe that you will need to get another subwoofer that is amplified then plug it into the RCA Sub Woofer output.
Do not wire the speakers into the subwoofer keep them connected to the receiver/Amp
+ - center (amplified)
+ - L.F. R.F, (amplified)
+ - L.R. R.R. (amplified)
RCA Sub (Pre-Amp)

PS I submitted my reply about the sametime as topspeed sorry.
And he is correct about setting the speakers to small.
here is the link to the back panel of the 2805
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NYHW1MKXzvL/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&g=10420&id=morephotos&pi=2&i=033AV2805B&display=XL#Tab

Eric Z
12-02-2004, 01:23 PM
TLAX25- Just wondering where you are from. I saw you deal with a salesperson from Abt. I shop there for all of my audio equipment.

I'm from Schaumburg and work in Lincolnshire.

topspeed
12-02-2004, 02:05 PM
I looked up your speaker system and the sub is an active sub Non-amplified
An active subwoofer is amplified, as oppossed to a passive (non-amp'd) sub. Their website states the sub has a "120 watt output level" (whatever that is) so it's possible something got lost in the translation from German to English. All the sub specs I see regarding output are termed in dB's.

Quagmire
12-02-2004, 04:20 PM
The sub has to have either line level inputs (rca jacks) or speaker level inputs (binding posts or clips) or both. Usually with active subs, the preferred method of operation is to use the the line level input for the sub and wire the speakers directly to the receiver so that you can use the receiver's bass management. But with these Sub/Sat systems, it is sometimes better to use the speaker level inputs so that the Sub/Sat crossover is used instead of the receiver's crossover. Obviously, reading the manual for suggested setup options would be a good idea.

If you decide to use the line level inputs on the sub, you need to set up the receiver's bass management like so... 1.) All speakers set to "small". 2.) Subwoofer set to "yes" or "on".

If you decide to use the speaker level inputs on the sub, you need to set up the receiver's bass management like so... 1.) Front speakers set to "large". 2.) Center and surround speakers set to "small". 3.) Subwoofer set to "no" or "off".

Q

tlax25
12-03-2004, 06:50 AM
Frist, to Eric Z, I live in Chicago. My family has been going to ABT for something like 45 years, so I generally get good deals there.

Anyway I setup everything as you guys suggested yesterday. It sounded great - until the movie I was previewing played some music that had a very low frequency sequence. One of my surround cubes had a very noticible hiss/hum. Not really sure how to describe it. Anyway, it was not a clear or crisp sounding note. The other sourround cube does not seem to suffer the same fate. I checked the lines. There are no stray wires touching anywhere. Maybe just a bad speaker cube? I will be taking the cube back to ABT tomorrow and see if they can resolve the issue. Thanks again for the help.

Regards,
Tlax.