Anyone see Guitarfest on PBS? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see Guitarfest on PBS?

Hyfi
12-02-2004, 06:18 AM
I came in on this 15 minutes in and missed Santana and Buddy Guy, I think. I didn't catch where it was filmed but it was warm and sunny. Lots of good performances by
James Taylor
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Vaughen
BB King
and many others. The performer who stole the show (IMHO) was John Maher. I didn't know just how talented he was until he played 5 minutes of Jimi-ish riffs, leading in to one of his own songs. I had only heard him play acoustic before this.

Clapton did After Midnight with JJ Kale at a much different tempo than normal.

If you have not seen this, check your PBS listings for when it comes on in your neck of the woods.

Hyfi

dean_martin
12-02-2004, 07:32 AM
I came in on this 15 minutes in and missed Santana and Buddy Guy, I think. I didn't catch where it was filmed but it was warm and sunny. Lots of good performances by
James Taylor
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Vaughen
BB King
and many others. The performer who stole the show (IMHO) was John Maher. I didn't know just how talented he was until he played 5 minutes of Jimi-ish riffs, leading in to one of his own songs. I had only heard him play acoustic before this.

Clapton did After Midnight with JJ Kale at a much different tempo than normal.

If you have not seen this, check your PBS listings for when it comes on in your neck of the woods.

Hyfi

Thanks for the headsup. I'll be on the lookout for it.

Speaking of music on PBS, Austin City Limits has recently released 4 DVDs, including Steve Earl's performance in 1986. They have a plan underway to release as much as they can but it will be slow-going. Also, the '04-'05 Austin City Limits schedule includes the following:

The Flaming Lips
The Shins
Wilco
Elvis Costello
The Pixies
and ASL regulars like Patty Griffin, Cheryl Crow and Lyle Lovett

jack70
12-02-2004, 08:10 AM
The performer who stole the show (IMHO) was John Maher. I didn't know just how talented he was until he played 5 minutes of Jimi-ish riffs, leading in to one of his own songs.That's disturbing, as my opinion of Maher is... not good. The fact you didn't say anything that positive about his actual songwriting, singing or style tells me maybe (?) he's simply a good guitar technician that's following the Peter Principle. (I don't mean to dump on him, but his persona effects me a little like April Livigne, although I admit I haven't given him a fair hearing).

I've seen it advertised on PBS, so I'll check it out. BTW, my niece who's in High School saw Mayer a year or 2 ago... maybe that's part of my hesitation... she tends towards the teen dance-pop stuff. My nephew plays the guitar, and although he's only in Jr-high, he can play Jimi's riffs damn good too... LOL.

PBS also had a guitar special last summer with a dozen "unknowns", all competing in a playoff type "competition". The "finals" were a live concert where they each played for 10-15 minutes. Completely different styles. but quite fun to watch. They had cams off stage etc, and showed the ups & downs all performers go through. Worth watching for musicians and guitarists.

mad rhetorik
12-02-2004, 09:20 AM
I know a John Maher. He plays the local bar scene. Fratboy who picked up an acoustic 6-string to get laid. I haven't heard him pull out any Jimi-style pyrotechnics yet. Maybe requests for "Purple Haze" are in order?

Never even heard of April Livigne. Isn't she from that great big cold place up there? Montana maybe?

Oh, you meant John <i>Mayer</i> and <i>Avril Lavigne</i>! No-talent assclowns extraordinaire. Not to be confused with Mr. Maher, who is...a no-talent assclown extraordinaire. Except that he isn't making a cent. <b>SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL LOSE..</b> er, I mean <b>UNDERGROUND ARTISTS! </b>

; P