About that MC hum !!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : About that MC hum !!!

Timbits
12-01-2004, 07:00 PM
I just installed a Ortofon MC 10 cartridge on one of my TT's. HOW do I get rid of that Hummm, or is this just one of the things you get used to with MC? I tried the TT grounded and ungrounded, grounded is better. Tried reversing the power cord, no change. Output voltage at 1000Hz is 0.1, now that's low. So that's my question, is the hum typical??? :mad:

musicoverall
12-02-2004, 04:29 AM
I just installed a Ortofon MC 10 cartridge on one of my TT's. HOW do I get rid of that Hummm, or is this just one of the things you get used to with MC? I tried the TT grounded and ungrounded, grounded is better. Tried reversing the power cord, no change. Output voltage at 1000Hz is 0.1, now that's low. So that's my question, is the hum typical??? :mad:

No, it's not typical at all, in my experience! The only time I ever heard hum from a cartridge/turntable was when someone installed a Grado woodbody cartridge on an old Rega Planar 3 table - something about the motor not being shielded coupled with the high output of the cartridge. I've never heard MC's hum.

Check your interconnects - are they rubbing against other cords? Cross them at angles. Sorry, I've never had this problem. Hopefully, some technically minded person can help. But I don't think it's the cartridge or 'table! If MC's were prone to hum, most audiophiles wouldn't prefer them!

nobody
12-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Are you using a step up to raise the level of the low output cartridge?

Timbits
12-02-2004, 06:08 PM
I am using a Yamaha C4 pre amp and using the MC phono select. nothing extra. The MC requires the volume knob to be at 12 o'clock to have the same volume as my MM at 9 o'clock...

Timbits
12-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Would the leads to the cartrage make a humm if they are twisted around each other????

Timbits
12-03-2004, 01:55 PM
Ok;
I feel really stupid but… I had the TT sitting on top of my pre amp and, I moved it and guess what…. The hum disappeared. So I have answered my own post. But there is something to be learned here, that some components are more prone to interferences than others…
TC

Bill L
12-03-2004, 03:20 PM

MC carts are sensitive to loading. It's worth it to try different resistors in the phono section, starting with the manufacturers recommendation, but the actual value you end up with may not be close to that at all!. Too high of resistance gives a bright scratchy quality to the sound. Too little and it gets murky and dull. Same goes for VTA to a lesser degree - raising or lowering your tone arm or cart by shimming.