...911...help me tame bass boominess [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ...911...help me tame bass boominess

Tarheel_
12-01-2004, 10:02 AM
well i kind of tricked ya...but if anyone can help...this board can.

problem is my car audio system...i have 1995 Saab with a Harman Kardon 10 speaker sound system with a 150 watt HK amp...

the bass is waaaay too boomy.
I tried turning down the bass tone adjustment, but its still there.
The bass is supplied by two 6x9s with plenty of space below them. Will some kind of stuffing like foam help reduce it? should the foam be uneven and/or thick?
Any other suggestions?
Great system if I can tame the darn thing.

HokieVT
12-01-2004, 10:06 AM
You might want to try the car audio area.

topspeed
12-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Why not add a parametric or graphic equalizer? Something like this Audiobahn unit (http://thezeb.com/p-Audiobahn-AEQ6Q-Equalizer-100317.htm) should do nicely. There are cheaper units ($25!) that are available also. Like home audio, your amount of expenditure is directly related to your level of insanity. I've bought a few things from The Zeb and have been quite satisfied. Their prices are excellent.

I used to have a 900tc. Great car with the best seats of any car I've owned. What model Saab do you have?

Woochifer
12-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Agree with ts, an equalizer might be a good way to go. With car interiors, you're going to get a lot of room gain because of how small they are, so foam and stuffing probably won't do much good. If those 6x9s are acting as subwoofers, then you could just see if there is a way to lower the levels just on those drivers. An alternative might be to attach bass blockers to the speaker cables to those 6x9s. They're available at different rolloff frequencies. You lose the deep bass, but that seems to be what you want anyway.

Tarheel_
12-01-2004, 12:39 PM
top, i have a 1995 9000 with the turbo/ 5spd combo...great car...comfortable, roomy, quick and best of all 31mpg. The audio system is detailed, revealing and clear....except for the bass.

Woosh, i WANT all the bass, but just want good clean bass...even male vocals are too deep.

i'll check out the EQ option....good idea....actually the unit has a few 'EQ' settings like 'classical', 'rock', 'flat' and 'jazz'...heck i better try those first. Thanks...