Monster - Power supply [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Monster - Power supply

ST
12-01-2004, 08:22 AM
Hi all,

I am a newbie with all of these hi-tech equipment. I bought a Yamaha AV receiver VSX 2400 recently. The sales person tried to sell me a Monster power supply/regulator... for a bout $600. My question: Is there another alternative product that does the same job without costing so much? I understand that this proctects your TV and home entertainment system. But mine is not very expensive to justify a $600 investment, or is a fair investment?

Thanks

ST

woodman
12-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Hi all,

I am a newbie with all of these hi-tech equipment. I bought a Yamaha AV receiver VSX 2400 recently. The sales person tried to sell me a Monster power supply/regulator... for a bout $600. My question: Is there another alternative product that does the same job without costing so much? I understand that this proctects your TV and home entertainment system. But mine is not very expensive to justify a $600 investment, or is a fair investment?

Thanks

ST

First off, a "power conditioner" (which is what the Monster unit purports to be), is not something that you're likely to really need. Protect your equipment from power surges and even (hopefully) nearby lightning strikes? By all means - that is a very sensible thing to do. But - that task can be accomplished with a good "surge protector" from companies such as PanaMax, TrippLite, and others for around $100 or less. Do not sink all of the way down to a $15 unit that you'd find at your local hardware store ... they don't offer much in the way of real protection.

The salesman was simply trying to extract an additional $600 out of your wallet under false pretenses. His premise was - and is - flat-out WRONG!

Hope this helps you

woodman

P.S. The receiver that you bought would be an RX-V model - not a VSX, which is the prefix used on Pioneer products.

JamezHill
12-01-2004, 11:18 PM
I may be crazy, but when i upgraded from a 35 dollar surge protector to a Monster Power Condition (~$200.00), I noticed a difference in both the quality of my picture and my music. The colors were clearer and i noticed a difference in the treble (highs) on my stereo. I am in the middle of moving equipment around and can't wait to have it setup again. While 200 bucks is a lot cheaper than 600, I doubt at that point you would notice anything different or have any real advantages. Monster makes a model around 100 bucks that does pretty much what the 200 dollar one i have does. Again, just my .02