Since the Tuesday thread didn't materialize- [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Since the Tuesday thread didn't materialize-

Jim Clark
12-01-2004, 06:56 AM
How about today just post what you listened to on Tuesday???

Started with Adem-Home Songs and am wondering if using the track Pillow on a Christmas Comp would be acceptable? I will never like this album as much as Stone does. It's earnest, heartfelt, and all that jazz but it never really captures my imigination. With the glowering programed bass line start of the album I was all primed for a feast and I got stripped down bare bones wear your heart on your sleeve wimpy emotion stuff instead. that's been happening a lot lately.

Followed that up with The Killers-Hot Fuss for the ride to and from the gym. Not sure there's much there for a crtitic to fall in love with, but I still really like this album a lot.

At the gym I listened to Cursive's The Ugly Organ. Just got this one and I enjoy the heck out of this too. Better late than never. Got most of Cave In-Antenna played as well. Also new to me and an enjoyable listen as well. That will be up early today.

Back at the homestead I repeated the Cursive and Cave In albums and wrapped things up with The Mighty Lemon Drops Happy Head album and the Out of Hand Ep. Also gave a quick, fast forward, skip button assisted listen to the last self titled Deftones album. I really dug the track Anniversary Of An Uninteresting Event
, but can't deal with the rest of this stuff. The price was right for this, as in free, so it's not a complete disaster.

Upon returning home from work last night I watched the last bit of Oz on HBO and was then hit with the Le Tigre video for the single New Kicks. On the albums these women (and I use that term loosely) sound so full of life and energy and this video is so sullen and boring that I can't imagine anyone thinking this was a good idea. The "Stop Bush" fashions are already out of date and just further reduce this video to laughing stock status. The song is pretty weak to begin with and they managed to send it spiraling into the abyss.

That was my day in music for that particular Tuesday, November 30.

Anyone else feel like typing something too?

jc

Stone
12-01-2004, 07:27 AM

Started with Adem-Home Songs and am wondering if using the track Pillow on a Christmas Comp would be acceptable? I will never like this album as much as Stone does.

I guess that doesn't really surprise me knowing your tastes fairly well. Most of it is along the lines of Sufjan Stevens or Iron & Wine, and is not a get-you-up-on-your-feet affair. It's certainly not like the Futureheads album or anything.

Speaking of the Futureheads....

I had a bit of driving to do yesterday, so I listened to the end of The Wrens - Meadowlands followed by:

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
I love this album, and it was fun to listen to on the road, but I just wish "Desolation Row" was about half the length.

Q and Not U - Power
I'm still disappointed in this. I like it better than when I first got it, but it just doesn't have the fun songs their first two albums have. Just another slice of the dance-punk stuff we've been hearing so much of lately.

Then at home:

The Futureheads - s/t
This album is infectious. "He Knows" is probably my favorite at the moment, but damn this whole album is fun.

Gang of Four - Entertainment!
With all of the talk about them, and after listening to the Futureheads, I pulled this one out. I too have the 1995 remaster with the Yellow EP added. When the guitar kicks in in "Ether" it always makes me want to get up on my feet (and I often do), and the album keeps my undivided attention throughout. Just a classic in my book.

Mike
12-01-2004, 07:38 AM
On the way into work in the car it was a New Order comp well basically it's the standard New Order comp available but with the tracks re-arranged and few extra tracks thrown in from Get Ready to fill it out. Some of the early stuff still sounds pretty good to these ears. Followed that up with a bit of the excellent Pixies comp which came out earlier this year.

On the way home it was Keane - Hopes and Fears, I remember when it came out not liking it at all but it's good pop fodder for in the car, now I kinda like it.

And at home it was a bit of Sinatra Songs for Swinging Lovers followed up with Micah P Hinson later in the evening.

Cheers
Mike

ForeverAutumn
12-01-2004, 07:41 AM
I listened to the new Rheostatics disk, 2067 , a few times.

Then a new Christmas disk. ;) Maybe This Christmas Too? . Includes tracks from such RR favourites as The Be Good Tanyas and The Flaming Lips. As well as some of Finch's faves...Dave Matthews Band and Barenaked Ladies.

Rush, Caress of Steel

TSO, The Lost Christmas Eve.

And BTW, Happy December everyone. You may now officially turn on your Christmas lights. :) 'Tis the season!

Jim Clark
12-01-2004, 07:43 AM
On the way home it was Keane - Hopes and Fears, I remember when it came out not liking it at all but it's good pop fodder for in the car, now I kinda like it.

Cheers
Mike

You bum! I never did buy that Keane album because you panned it so convincingly!

jc

Troy
12-01-2004, 08:00 AM
Yesterday I listened to these discs twice:

Zappa- Zoot Allures (And I may listen to it again today because I enjoyed it so much)
Air- Talkie Walkie
Keneally+Metropole- The Universe Will Provide

These once:
XTC- Skylarking
Ian Anderson- Walk into Light

I listened to a bunch of my own stuff too doing final mixes and tweaks.

Good day for music.

Mike
12-01-2004, 08:03 AM
You bum! I never did buy that Keane album because you panned it so convincingly!

jc

Yer right maybe I did put you off it, tell you what it's Christmas keep an eye on your mail box...

Cheers
Mike

Jim Clark
12-01-2004, 08:11 AM
Yer right maybe I did put you off it, tell you what it's Christmas keep an eye on your mail box...

Cheers
Mike

NO! it's all of about 7 bucks here and the album is everywhere. Finch put a track on his comp so if I decide I really like it, I'll just pick it up next time I'm at Wallmart, Target, BB, CC, Kmart or Nebraska Furniture Mart!

Thanks though,
jc

Jim Clark
12-01-2004, 08:16 AM
Then a new Christmas disk. ;) Maybe This Christmas Too? . Includes tracks from such RR favourites as The Be Good Tanyas and The Flaming Lips. As well as some of Finch's faves...Dave Matthews Band and Barenaked Ladies.

:) 'Tis the season!

There's a whole series of those things and you're right, it is pretty cool. Maybe This Christmas, Maybe This Christmas Too, and Maybe This Christmas Tree. I saw an OC Christmas Disc too, very similar with some song crossover. My fave is the Raveonettes track.

jc

ForeverAutumn
12-01-2004, 08:23 AM
There's a whole series of those things and you're right, it is pretty cool. Maybe This Christmas, Maybe This Christmas Too, and Maybe This Christmas Tree. I saw an OC Christmas Disc too, very similar with some song crossover. My fave is the Raveonettes track.

jc

Yeah, I noticed all three of them, but since this was the FOURTH christmas CD that I've bought this year, I really needed to restrain myself. It's a sickness!

I'll save the other two disks for next year. :D

Dusty Chalk
12-01-2004, 08:42 AM
Well, I was in critic mode, so I was listening to some of the contenders for power/prog/metal album of the year:

Ayreon, Human Equation
Pain of Salvation, Be
Peccatum, Lost in Reverie
Deadsoul Tribe, The January Tree

While out running some errands, I was listening to Fabric 17: Akufen -- a very cool bleepy glitchy "DJ mix" type CD.

Then went upstairs to watch some Buffy...oops, probably shouldn't post that here...

Mike
12-01-2004, 08:53 AM
NO! it's all of about 7 bucks here and the album is everywhere. Finch put a track on his comp so if I decide I really like it, I'll just pick it up next time I'm at Wallmart, Target, BB, CC, Kmart or Nebraska Furniture Mart!

Thanks though,
jc

I forget how little you guys pay for your stuff over there, our prices have come down recently but it would still cost you £8.99 in the UK that's about $17 to you. Although the exchange rate is in our favour at the moment.

Cheers
Mike

dbi
12-01-2004, 09:08 AM
I forget how little you guys pay for your stuff over there, our prices have come down recently but it would still cost you �8.99 in the UK that's about $17 to you. Although the exchange rate is in our favour at the moment.
Yeah, the dollar is getting weaker by the day! But the Keane disc as well as that Snow Patrol and a few others have gotten a big marketing push this year in the US and have hence been featured continuously at most of the big-box type stores Jim mentioned at super low prices. I'm sure you guys ocasionally get something featured where it seems like the stores are practically giving it away, right? Don't know the story behing why these two have been getting that treatment for so long, but it does seem to really be paying off as I've seen some fans listing them both as this year's favorites. Great incentive for the more casual buyer.

Mr MidFi
12-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Listened to selected cuts from Keane and the new Snow Patrol on Unitred Airlines in-flight audio. I think I like the Snow Patrol cuts better. Not the best listening environment, however.

Been listening more and more to the Franz Ferdinand disc. It is the sonic equivalent of doing shots of Bailey's Irish Cream (yes, I know, they're Scottish). Fun and intoxicating, but I'm not sure I'll still be digging it 20 listens from now.

I like the new Pearl Jam 2-disc comp. There's an "up" disc for playing in the car, working out, etc. And there's a "down" disc for playing at 10 am on a Saturday. Both are better than expected. I'm not a fan, but this one is worth owning.

The new REM has a couple of tracks that are starting to get under my skin, but as a whole it remains somewhat lacking in excitement. It should be noted that this is their very best effort in terms of sonic production values, FWIW.

dbi
12-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Well, you can usually tell by the subject of my posts what I've been listening to lately since I wear my music like a proverbial heart on my sleeve :)

In this case, Entertainment! by Gang of Four has been spinning a lot when I'm at home. Also listened to that great new Mark Lanegan album last night called Bubblegum. Really liking this one a lot and probably top 5 of the year for me. "Hit the City" with PJ Harvey just so totally rules, but there are many highlights strewn throughout the landscape of this CD. And it does seem like a landscape. Very cool feel. The only other thing I listened to yesterday was part of that transcendent Wheat album from a few years ago that I love almost as much as a good Bavarian pilsner on a sunny day, Hope and Adams. Brilliant, simply brilliant. Probably listen to it a bunch today.

Mike
12-01-2004, 09:32 AM
But the Keane disc as well as that Snow Patrol and a few others have gotten a big marketing push this year in the US and have hence been featured continuously at most of the big-box type stores

You know it's funny that Snow Patrol album goes back to 2003 I think, and then was re-released early 2004 with a bonus track and now with the marketing push and Christmas it will probably sell well through to the New Year some albums just won't go away.

Another one that amazes me is the Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane album that goes back to 2002 and is selling really well over here at the moment. They have just released it again with an acoustic set to bolster sales. Actually I like that one too must be getting really soft in my old age.

Also noticed the other day they've re-released the latest Morrissey album with B sides and video clips.

Cheers
Mike

Pat D
12-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Someone on another forum was asking about bassoon concertos (oh yes, there are such things!) and someone mentioned the Hummel Bassoon Concerto. I discovered I actually have a recording of it with George Zukerman, basson, and Jorg Faerber and the Wurttemburg Chamber Orchestra on a Turnabout LP, TV-S 34348.

Ippolitov-Ivanov, Caucasian Sketches. Siegfried Landau, Music for Westchester Symphony Orchestra. On Vox Allegretto ACD 8161.

Dvorak, String Quartets Nos. 12, Op. 96 (American Quartet) and 13, Op. 106. Vlach Quartet of Prague. Naxos 8.553371.

Shchedrin, Carmen Suite. Theodore Kuchar, Unkrainian State Symphony Orchestra. Naxos 8.553038.

Vanhal, Symphonies, Vol. 2. Andrew Watkinson, Cit of London Sinfonia. Naxos 8.554138.

Mayuzumi, Nirvana Symphony. Hiroyuki Iwaki, Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra and Tokyo Philharmonic Choir. On Denon CO-78839.

BarryL
12-01-2004, 11:56 AM

jc

Finding Neverland soundtrack. The piano playing in it sounds like something Dave Gruisin would have done (but it wasn't him).

Glass Hammer - Shadowlands. Okay, with an interesting prog version of Dan Fogelberg's Longer. Top 40 goes prog. Isn't that what Yes did back in 1970?

FA's Canadian Toonies comp

skewiff
12-01-2004, 12:39 PM
The Libertines............Up the Bracket

The Libertines...........S/T second cd

Razorlight.................Up all Night (A cd of the year candidate)

Tom Robinson..........Power In the darkness

Miles Davis..............Sketches from Spain

Mike Oldfield ...........Amarok

Donny Hathaway......These songs for you Live

Buzzcocks...............Singles going Steady

Tony

Jim Clark
12-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Razorlight.................Up all Night (A cd of the year candidate)

Tony

I enjoy that disc too. Not sure if it's going to be a CD of the year candidate for me but certainly a contender for top 10. That bum Mike turned me on to them!

jc

jasn
12-01-2004, 01:43 PM
Not really a weekly summary, but these have been in heavy rotation in the car (all relatively new to my collection):

The Drive By Truckers: A Southern Rock Opera
The Drive By Truckers: The Dirty South
Songs:Ohia: Magnolia Electric Co. (finally got around to picking this up)
Urge Overkill: Exit the Dragon (where have I been? This is good stuff)
Sam Roberts: We were Born in a Flame (Almost a guilty pleasure. Maybe the best mainstream power pop album of the year for me)

Picked up a universal SACD/DVD-A player at BB for $89 last week. I've been stunned with 5.1 versions of Elton's "GYBR" (my fourth copy of this counting vinyl), Beck's "Sea Change" (it's like floating around in the clouds) and Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia". Watching the video stills along with PT's music gives me a much darker impression of the band that I had just listening. The videos are right out of David Lynchland...

Stone
12-01-2004, 01:53 PM

Great record, no? I was surprised by how good it is, especially given the descriptions of it I read.

Another great record. Do you have Saturation? I actually like that one better, and it has a bit more of an edge to it.

jasn
12-01-2004, 05:05 PM
From Stone:
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by jasn
... </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->
Great record, no? I was surprised by how good it is, especially given the descriptions of it I read.

I started with their 2cd opera first (actually cheaper) and was very impressed with the raw but dense southern rock sound. Went back two days later and bought The Dirty South, expecting to hear more of the same. The growing process is treating them well. I don't recall a band where I have tried so hard to listen to the lyrics, because these guys have a lot to say.

More Stone...

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by jasn
... </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->
Another great record. Do you have Saturation? I actually like that one better, and it has a bit more of an edge to it.
I really had let these guys get by me. I started with Saturation a few months ago and was blown away. I actually like Exit the Dragon a bit more for its middle tracks, they just get into such a great groove, but they are both winners. I will eventually pick up the rest of their catalog too. They're pretty easy to find used. I think I did a snob test on these guys way back when they were getting all the buzz over the Neil Diamond remake. (Silly me). I hear they are touring again, and I'll bet they do the club scene at an intense level.

Trouble is (like most years), I am in a buying mood for music and the holidays are coming. I catch hell when things start showing up in the mail.

audiobill
12-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Busy, busy week for me.

Nevertheless, here's my listening booth for the week in a list format.
I hate to miss a party.

Kraftwerk -- Computerworld

Mastodon -- Remission

Broken Social Scene -- You Forgot It in People

Mars Volta Deloused in the Comatorium

Pavement -- Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

Silver Jews -- American Water

The Constantines -- Shine A Light

Clearlake -- Cedars

Radiohead -- Hail to the Thief

XTC -- Oranges and Lemmons

-Jar-
12-03-2004, 10:19 AM
I really had let these guys get by me. I started with Saturation a few months ago and was blown away. I actually like Exit the Dragon a bit more for its middle tracks, they just get into such a great groove, but they are both winners. I will eventually pick up the rest of their catalog too. They're pretty easy to find used. I think I did a snob test on these guys way back when they were getting all the buzz over the Neil Diamond remake. (Silly me). I hear they are touring again, and I'll bet they do the club scene at an intense level.

Trouble is (like most years), I am in a buying mood for music and the holidays are coming. I catch hell when things start showing up in the mail.

I've always loved SATURATION.. one of my favorite "commercial" cd's from that era. "Positive Bleeding" is just one of the best pop-rock songs of the 90's. Track for track there's hardly a clunker on the album. Great stuff. Awesome live too, catch 'em if you can.

-jar

Davey
12-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Another one that amazes me is the Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane album that goes back to 2002 and is selling really well over here at the moment. They have just released it again with an acoustic set to bolster sales.
Don't think I've even heard of that one, but sometimes I forget ;)

Actually I ... must be getting really soft in my old age.
That's probably more than we need to know, Mike old buddy, but you know there are quite a few remedies for that problem nowadays....at least according to the constant barrage of TV commercials we see over here ;)

Friday listening for me is a continuation of Thursday night, with one that has never strayed far in recent times, Sue Garner and Rick Brown Still. Good title because it's still the one I turn to over and over and over again. My buddy (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/dbireviews.htm#Sue_Garner_Rick_Brown_Still).