Sony STR-DE697? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony STR-DE697?

amb7247
12-01-2004, 12:56 AM
how good is the Sony STR-DE697? Wonder if this receiver has been any good to any of you and if it produces good sound. I was thinking of this or the yamaha due to my price range. This should be final heh..I hope.

woodman
12-02-2004, 01:36 PM
how good is the Sony STR-DE697? Wonder if this receiver has been any good to any of you and if it produces good sound. I was thinking of this or the yamaha due to my price range. This should be final heh..I hope.

This is not a decision worthy of wasting even half a second of your time. Sony vs. Yamaha? No contest. Fuggitabout the Sony ... whether it produces "good sound" or not is totally irrelevant. The simple fact is that the DE series of receivers from Sony have been plagued with more quality control and reliability issues than you can shake a stick at. Yamaha on the other hand, is the absolute "king of the hill" as far as reliability is concerned.

'Nuff said?

amb7247
12-02-2004, 11:11 PM
Yeah, my gut said Yamaha so I went with that.

kexodusc
12-03-2004, 04:51 AM
I'd put my left testicle on the line that any Yamaha at the same price as the STR-DE697 will also sound better and outperform it.

And as woodman says, you're comparing one of the more doubtful names in quality to the recognized best.
Not to say Yamaha's are always perfect either, but you can sleep a bit easier that way.

What model did ya get?

amb7247
12-03-2004, 04:31 PM
Yamaha HTL-5740 for what the budget allowed for xmas. I still think it's a good one.