HD off air antenna help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HD off air antenna help

syberman
11-30-2004, 11:20 PM
Hello everyone, I have DIsh Network with a HD 811 reciever. I can only watch HD channels that DIsh gives, I cannot watch MNF in HD or other programs in HD. I was reading reviews on the
Terk 55 Indoor/Outdoor antenna (around $100?) Anyway, I read that it was garbage. I am looking for an antenna that I can view HD shows shown in HD. I have went on antennaweb.org and I really don't understand how to use it. I live about 45 minutes from Philly and
2 1/2 hrs. away from NYC, zip 08205. Now, is it more valuable for me to have an antenna on the roof, which I really don't want to do, or is there an indoor antenna that can recieve the HD programs that I want. Also, I was using Monster component cables from my Dish reciever to my tv, I just recently upgraded to DVI, from my Dish reciever to tv. I see some diffrence in picture, for the better, but not a drastic change, why?

Thanks
Syberman

hershon
11-30-2004, 11:28 PM
Unlkess there is no cable service in your area, why don't you get that as you can have satellite TV and cable TV from the same TV.

Hello everyone, I have DIsh Network with a HD 811 reciever. I can only watch HD channels that DIsh gives, I cannot watch MNF in HD or other programs in HD. I was reading reviews on the
Terk 55 Indoor/Outdoor antenna (around $100?) Anyway, I read that it was garbage. I am looking for an antenna that I can view HD shows shown in HD. I have went on antennaweb.org and I really don't understand how to use it. I live about 45 minutes from Philly and
2 1/2 hrs. away from NYC, zip 08205. Now, is it more valuable for me to have an antenna on the roof, which I really don't want to do, or is there an indoor antenna that can recieve the HD programs that I want. Also, I was using Monster component cables from my Dish reciever to my tv, I just recently upgraded to DVI, from my Dish reciever to tv. I see some diffrence in picture, for the better, but not a drastic change, why?

Thanks
Syberman

syberman
11-30-2004, 11:43 PM
What? I really don't understand what you are trying to tell me. Sorry.

Syberman

hershon
12-01-2004, 12:45 AM
You can get the HD channels that you can't receive on Dish via cable TV service, in other words you can have both a dish connection and cable TV reception from your TV. I did this when I had the NFL ticket on Direct TV & kept my cable service. What's not to understand?

What? I really don't understand what you are trying to tell me. Sorry.

Syberman

Eric Z
12-01-2004, 06:12 AM
What's the purpose of the dish then, just to have extra channels?

sy_lu
12-01-2004, 10:01 AM
Terk 55 Indoor/Outdoor antenna (around $100?)

Unless your Dish receiver has an built-in over the air tuner, you need to buy one in addition to the antenna. As far as antenna goes, you don't need a special "HD" antenna. They are just UHF antenna. If you can get UHF stations in your area, it is likely you can pick up HD too. If not, then you probably should forget about it.

hershon
12-01-2004, 10:30 AM
Huh, I don't know if you were addressing me. I had a Dish because I couldn't get the NFL games on NFL without having one. At the time, I don't know if things have changed, I had a better overall channel selection on cable which I kept and paid the minimum charge for Direct TV which I then cancelled at the end of the NFl season.