beginners question, replacing 8" driver in a 3-Way speaker [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : beginners question, replacing 8" driver in a 3-Way speaker

essque
11-30-2004, 01:12 PM
What's up everyone, I'm new to this site and to the home theatre world. In other words you'll have to excuse my ignorance as I wade through the waters of learning the basics.

I have an RCA 52" HDTV that I'm looking to build my first system around. I just recently received a pair of Yamaha NS-A635A 3-Way bookshelf speakers which house an 8" driver. I removed the driver from the box and dropped in a Vifa 8" that is 4 ohms but unfortunately, I found out the original speakers are 8 ohms. Is there any way to make that work or should I go shopping for new 8 ohm drivers instead?

I've shopped with parts express before for my car audio needs which is why I had the Vifa subs laying around so I'm not new to the DIY world. But any advice would be appreciated on what a good bang for the buck replacement speaker would be if that is what I need to do. I may want to replace mids and tweets too so any advice would be appreciated :D

essque
11-30-2004, 01:54 PM
or I guess another viable question would be if replacing the 4.5" speaker and the tweeter with 4 ohm speakers to match the Vifa 4 ohm driver would be better and just go with an all 4 ohm set-up.

BRANDONH
12-01-2004, 08:36 AM
What's up everyone, I'm new to this site and to the home theatre world. In other words you'll have to excuse my ignorance as I wade through the waters of learning the basics.

I have an RCA 52" HDTV that I'm looking to build my first system around. I just recently received a pair of Yamaha NS-A635A 3-Way bookshelf speakers which house an 8" driver. I removed the driver from the box and dropped in a Vifa 8" that is 4 ohms but unfortunately, I found out the original speakers are 8 ohms. Is there any way to make that work or should I go shopping for new 8 ohm drivers instead?

I've shopped with parts express before for my car audio needs which is why I had the Vifa subs laying around so I'm not new to the DIY world. But any advice would be appreciated on what a good bang for the buck replacement speaker would be if that is what I need to do. I may want to replace mids and tweets too so any advice would be appreciated :D

You need to match the speaker ohms with your network ohms. If your raw speakers are 8 ohm then so will be your crossovers.
There are other factors involved as well because the networks are matched to the speakers i.e. frequency response and many other factors.
this link may help you find the Yamaha replacement or they could re-cone it for you.
http://www.simplyspeakers.com/14replacements.htm
Also here is the Yamaha replacement parts link:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/parts.htm