Athena's f1 with sub versus f2's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Athena's f1 with sub versus f2's

themurph1018
11-30-2004, 11:32 AM
Ok, so I went to best buy and extensively listened to the athena f1's and f2's. I thought that the performance of the F2's was excellent along with the f1's. The only thing is the F1's have alittle less bass than I'd care to have and the F2's are alittle bigger than I'd care to have. Would I get the same or better performance from a set of f1's and say the 10" 100 watt dayton sub from parts express as I would from the f2's alone? I am worried that the f2's will have much better midrange and midbass than the f1's? But I really couldn't pick up on much difference (although my ear isnt as trained as some on this board) except that the f2's extended lower with a bit more of a "punch." So the sub would be able to pick up on that anyway right? My overall question though is did anyone pick up on any major differences between the two, and does it warrant the extra size?

Thanks

kexodusc
11-30-2004, 12:29 PM
I don't notice any midrange benefits to the larger speaker...if anything, I think the F1's image just a bit better and produce a slightly more pleasing soundstage...which sub are considering though? The 10" MKIII Titanic? That's got over 200 watts if memory serves, and is worth every penny.
I would go with that in heart beat over the F2's. But keep in mind, you'll have to acquire stands, and do a bit of work to integrate the sub into your system...
A word of advice...don't rush, there's nothing wrong with saving up money and waiting just a bit longer for something even more...in the long run it's cheaper than buying and upgrading every year or two.

themurph1018
11-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Yeah I think I'll go with the f1's. That wasn't the sub I was looking at though. Alittle more than I'd like to spend but I might have to save up for it. I was originally looking at the http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=300-632&DID=7 sub. I was thinkin since its only $100 I could get one now and add another later for more bass. Im not going to buy a sub just yet Im going to do some more research first.