jazz [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : jazz

hmmmm
12-15-2003, 09:03 AM
Can anyone recommend what they think are must haves in jazz music? I'm thinking more of bands in the last 10 years. I tend to love sax having played it for 12 years but am open to any suggestions. I have always liked Spyro Gyra, FourPlay, some Bela Fleck, but really have a pathetic collection and haven't been turned on with my most recent purchases. If they have something in DVD-A or SACD- even better. Thanks for your help!

trauski
12-15-2003, 12:09 PM
you have to find Flim and the BB's. they started out in the 80's in the jazz fusion genre. i have 2 of their cds. new pants and further adventures. one of the first groups to utilize digtal recording equipment. truely some of the best recorded cd's ive ever listened to.

also al demeola. not sure of the spelling. elegant gypsy recorded in the early 80's as well. there is one song on that cd that is just flamanco style accoustic guitars that is worth the total cd in itself.

Troy
12-15-2003, 01:19 PM
Sounds like you're a fusion guy.

You need some Brand X, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jean Juc Ponty (affectionatly known as "Jean Lucky Panties" in these parts), Return to Forever, Vertu, Mike Manring's "Thonk", Weather Report and a load of others that someone else will mention.

Hyfi
12-15-2003, 02:22 PM
Can anyone recommend what they think are must haves in jazz music? I'm thinking more of bands in the last 10 years. I tend to love sax having played it for 12 years but am open to any suggestions. I have always liked Spyro Gyra, FourPlay, some Bela Fleck, but really have a pathetic collection and haven't been turned on with my most recent purchases. If they have something in DVD-A or SACD- even better. Thanks for your help!

Troy, did you ever get my early Smooth Jazz Pizzaz comps? If so, you may want to go back and scan them. If not, you will and in the mean time I will look at my rack and make a list. One for sure is my reference disc, Bob James-Grand Piano Canyon. It's realy just Fourplay befor the sex.

Didn't know you were into this stuff.............maybe a one-armed sampler?

Davey.
12-15-2003, 02:27 PM
Well, depends on how "pathetic" your collection really is :)

Do you have any of the old classics? If not I would highly, highly recommend what might be my favorite jazz album, Blue Train. As you can see below I have the Classic Records audiophile DVD playing right now in my computer and the sound certainly puts to shame most of the CDs that you can buy. A little outside your ten year boundary, but loads of sax by the master. And the title track is one of the best songs ever :)

I haven't heard the SACD but my 24/96 PCM playback quality is much higher than my SACD playback (not speaking of the computer since it can't even play SACD :-)) so in this case I'm confident it would be no contest, and I've heard others say that the Classic reissue is clearly the best. Might be more costly though.

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/bluetrain.gif

I'm not really that big on new jazz so that's the best I can do.

Hyfi
12-15-2003, 05:05 PM
I would recomend some Carl Filipiak who has a sax player named Paul Soroka. Another good combo with similar guitar/sax note matching style is Mike Stern with Bob Berg on sax. Brecker Brothers or individualy are good. If you like Steely Dan music, I would recomend Hoops McCann Band plays Steely Dan. Also on the Smooth side would be the Rippingtons. Jeff Kashiwa is an awesome saxman. As mentioned Dimeola has nice work.

For Audiophile recordings of all the classic jazz recordings I would look at Music Direct.

http://www.amusicdirect.com/

Hyfi
12-16-2003, 06:17 AM
Someone at AA just asked about alto sax.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/music/messages/102228.html

hmmmm
12-16-2003, 08:07 AM
Thanks for all of the input. I started listening to some of these on Amazon and like them all so far. I'll have more time to listen after the holidays and I'm not working 7 days a week. Has anyone here made a "best of Jazz" collection on cd for themselves? I guess this is a "comp"...see I'm new at this:)
Oh, I have the best of Coltrane on right now. Forgot I had it.