how about Sugden A21 and PMC TB-2S [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : how about Sugden A21 and PMC TB-2S

allenz
11-30-2004, 09:00 AM
Dear all,

i am the entry-level AVer. just think about to buy a used AMP + SP.
my picked the sugden A21 (A class) plus PMC TB-2S(old version).

When listening the jazz vocal and pure music .....
i felt very easy... not in rush..i can walk around(it might be a bad habit)...

just wanna know for the AV expert....

it's a good combination for my spent 20% for DVD, 80% for Jazz and blue.

Both of them are from England...should be the MFEO (kidding)....

My Qs are below.
1. if i use the exposure 2010 2 replace A21..... is it better ?
2. otherwise i have more choice for SP....(DY , Kef , .......)

Need ur options, thanks !!

Allen :D :D :D

kexodusc
11-30-2004, 10:10 AM
I've never heard those two units used together in one system, but that Sugden is a really nice unit, and the PMC's are among my favorite speakers. Give the speakers a listen first, compared to some of your other options, then decide if you like them.

You may wish to consider listening to a Bryston amp, every PMC system I've heard has been running off a Bryston (they have business arrangements), and the results have always been exceptional to me. Slightly different sound than the Sugden, but just as pleasing if not more so to my ears.

Good luck.

NickWH
11-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Agree with kexodusc. Bryston and PMC should sound optimal together. Check out the Bryston B60R integrated amp for use with TB-2S.

http://www.bryston.ca/b60_m.html

RGA
11-30-2004, 11:13 PM
Well I'm in agreement - Bryston and PMC seem to be a good match. On the other hand I think the Sugden in the right system will outclass the comparable Brystons.

I can;t tell you much about how Sugden would do with PMC - generally Sugden is pretty easy going when it comes to speaker systems (assuming the impedence doesn;t go below 2 ohms(preferably not below 3ohms). For sane money the A21a is the finest Solid State amp I've heard (though the typical technical specs are not).

The real question is the speaker choice - why PMC? I like PMC - I fee for the type of sound they are trying to attain they do it just about as good as it can be done - on the other hand the Sugden seems to go for something else.

Don;t by names out of some hat or because you saw some good reviews - everything gets good reviews - generally I agree with Sugden and PMC reviews - but stereos are systems - and I've heard good amps like Bryston sound dreadful in some systems(and it was the amp that ruined it) on the flip side the Brystons have "fixed" pretty unremarkable speakers and made them sound a lot better. System synergy is key.

Also as a side note the new PMC TB2 was not the most relaxing refined or smooth sounding speaker around, the new one has dumped the metal tweeters for silk domes in their current line - they use the silk domes in all of their high end monitors. I liked the metal tweeter version but they never got away from the two driver sounding product (compartmentalized sound). I am excited to hear the new ones because if they fixed up the treble a bit these would be killer speakers.

Note you need to listen in a nearfield environment and in pretty small rooms for them to really work.

kexodusc
12-01-2004, 04:53 AM
RGA is right...I don't believe that just because 2 companies strike a mutual distribution deal for economic reasons that they are designed to achieve synergy together.
And you might find you don't like the way a Bryston sounds...some like Bryston, some like Sugden...
I like both. The trick is to find which one you like with the speakers you are buying.
Good luck.

allenz
12-01-2004, 05:47 AM
I agreed such as Bryston even YBA...but because of the budget...
before that i tried exposure 2010.... but when sitting on the chair, i heard two girls were fighting.
it's the first time i bought AV stuff for myself and used the pure money (ha)...
btw, if i upgraded my system, i will not loss lots(.it should be a wrong thinking).
anyway thanks ur feedback...

i may bring my PMC to visit one of my friend who had Bryston.
one more question, if i keep A21.... any suggestion of the SP ? thanks again !!

allenz
12-01-2004, 05:58 AM
Also as a side note the new PMC TB2 was not the most relaxing refined or smooth sounding speaker around, the new one has dumped the metal tweeters for silk domes in their current line - they use the silk domes in all of their high end monitors. I liked the metal tweeter version but they never got away from the two driver sounding product (compartmentalized sound). I am excited to hear the new ones because if they fixed up the treble a bit these would be killer speakers.

Note you need to listen in a nearfield environment and in pretty small rooms for them to really work.[/QUOTE]

Yeap, just heard the new from my friend.
now the new TB2 costs me $840 US
if u apply the new silk domes, u need to pay $330 US..
i can not affort that...if all of them use the same model.
it's the good news for us.

RGA
12-01-2004, 07:01 PM
basically it requires listening. I get the sense a few speakers I've been hearing lately are trying to almost deliberately have a laid back treble as if they're pulling in the reigns so that in the anechoic chamber the speaker measures better. Some of the new slim line speakers i've run into lately sound almost compressed and highkly nasal like a wet blankets been thrown over the treble(hides some of the treble fatigue I guess).

The TB1 and TB2 even with the metal were very good.

As for other options - I prefer more dynamic and higher senstivity speakers - and because i listen a lot at low volumes not just high volumes this is even more so of a desire for me in a speaker.