Does anyone have Rheostatics 2067? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have Rheostatics 2067?

ForeverAutumn
11-30-2004, 06:40 AM
I picked up this CD a couple of weeks ago and when I listened to it, it sounded like the CD was damaged on Track 6 at about the 2:10 mark. So I took the disk back to the same store that I bought it from and exchanged it. I'm just listening to the new copy and it's doing the same thing at the same spot. It just hits this spot and for a second the sound gets all scratchy. Kind of like dragging the needle on vinyl but not in a DJ kind of way...hard to explain.

Anyway, now I don't know if it's supposed to be like this or if, because I exchanged it at the same store, there's a bad batch of disks out there. Can that happen?

If anyone has this disk, can you listen to track 6 around the 2:00 - 2:20 mark and let me know if anything sounds funny to you?

Thanks.

Finch Platte
11-30-2004, 06:44 AM
...burn me a copy and I'll tell you if my copy does it.

fp

ForeverAutumn
11-30-2004, 06:53 AM
...burn me a copy and I'll tell you if my copy does it.

fp

I forgot to tell you...I really dig that Burning Brides disk. Thanks for the rec.

Troy
11-30-2004, 08:03 AM
I like that band. Is this a new album? Is it a good album compared to the earlier releases?

Does the "skip" sync with the rhythm? I've heard the same effect on other albums, but it syncs with the rhythm track.

This band WOULD use something like that intentionally.

ForeverAutumn
11-30-2004, 08:36 AM
I like that band. Is this a new album? Is it a good album compared to the earlier releases?

Does the "skip" sync with the rhythm? I've heard the same effect on other albums, but it syncs with the rhythm track.

This band WOULD use something like that intentionally.

Yes, this is a new album. It was released just a few weeks ago. I don't have any of their previous CDs so I can't compare, but I'm really liking this one a lot.

After reading your post, I went back and really listended to the track in question. I think that you're right. This was intentional. It fits in with the Zappa-esque style of the previous part of the song and closes the phrase as the song moves on in style.

Troy, I suspect that you would like this disk. Musically, it's very strong. Lyrically, well...it's typical Rheostatic humour. With songs like The Tarleks ,

The Tarleks came from the west - they grooved. White belts shining in the pounding sun. They came from Cincinnati-o, fanning out across the central plains.

And, Power Ballad for Ozzy Osbourne,

Ozzy, dear old Ozzy. You are rock and roll to me. Half-deaf, drunk and drooling with your nagging chronic knees. Miss Cocaine closed her sugar thighs. All pigeons here are spared. From what I see the only thing that rockin' is your chair.

According to their web site, they got the guy that played Herb Tarlek on WKRP to appear in their video for The Tarleks. :D

Troy
11-30-2004, 03:56 PM
Wow, sounds great! Their album "Whale Music" is excellent. I have "Mellville" and "Introducing Happyness" and they are not quite as good, but still very listenable with a few stand-out tracks.

"Zappa crossed with CSNY and some jam band du jour" is the way I usually describe them.

I'll definitely be looking for 2067.