Bad Boyz II 2-Disc DVD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bad Boyz II 2-Disc DVD

John Beresford
12-15-2003, 08:26 AM
Rented this yesterday with an idiotic ex-neighbor of mine, and gotta say the audio is astounding; ALMOST as good as the T3 Dolby Digital 5.1 track---Im not kidding. Explosions, bullets, ambient effects all tear up your surround channels and you really feel like you are in that film with Smith and Lawrence. Nowhere as good as the first film, but the audio was tremendous. Just thought I'd share.

Audio was 5.1 Dolby Digital only, and sounded better than Pirates of the Caribbean's DTS track.

kelsci
12-15-2003, 03:52 PM
Hi John; I have not rented this film yet. Next week, I will rent some films I want to see. Widescreen Review.com thought very highly of this soundtrack as well. This movie was filmed in the City of Miami, Fla. which is about 25 miles due south of me. There are causeways that go across the area known as Biscayne Bay. Those causeways were closed off for shooting when shooting took place down here. I imagine that Sony does the DVD production for Columbia Pictures since Sony owns the studio. Sonys DVDs have done quite well in the D.D. 5.1 audio department. A good example was XXX with Vin Diesel.

recoveryone
12-17-2003, 05:31 PM
Rented this yesterday with an idiotic ex-neighbor of mine, and gotta say the audio is astounding; ALMOST as good as the T3 Dolby Digital 5.1 track---Im not kidding. Explosions, bullets, ambient effects all tear up your surround channels and you really feel like you are in that film with Smith and Lawrence. Nowhere as good as the first film, but the audio was tremendous. Just thought I'd share.

Audio was 5.1 Dolby Digital only, and sounded better than Pirates of the Caribbean's DTS track.

I must agree John, great sound mix. During the chase on the freeway the sound effects made you duck with each car flipping over you.

John Beresford
12-18-2003, 02:01 PM
I must agree John, great sound mix. During the chase on the freeway the sound effects made you duck with each car flipping over you.

Glad you enjoyed. Most memorable for me were the bullets zinging and pinging by in each surround channel. Unbelievable.

kelsci
12-19-2003, 02:48 PM
John; I have rented the DVD. I will make a larger report. So far, I agree wholeheartedly with you and Recoveryone's comments.

kelsci
12-19-2003, 09:04 PM
I finished the film Friday night. Nice color quality, sort of pastelish in a way but not obtrusive and a pleasure to watch. With a better script it could have been a great film. The D.D. track like T-3 is smooth and powerful. Sound effects I felt were more smoothly applied across the soundfield in this film over T-3. The surround sound effects were what I call "meticulously" placed in their proper places. For instance on the causeway chase, cars that swung around in spins could be felt and pass right over the whole rear sound field. Occasional flyovers by helicopters flew dead center over my head. I was surprised WIDESCREEN REVIEW.COM did not mention any center back surround imaging. There was alot in this soundtrack with the cars, helicopters and bullets at the very least. Most interesting at 73:51 to 75:72 was the background music. I felt it was somewhere out in space perhaps near the center of the ceiling in my room sort of playing all around my room at that point. It is a good rental, but I would not buy this disc because the story could have been handled better. There are some humourous remarks and scenes scattered throughout the film such as the sex video scene playing in the store whose audio pops thru every audio device and/or tv set that is on. That was a hoot. I would say that Sony knows their D.D. 5.1 audio and it is quite good.

recoveryone
12-19-2003, 10:17 PM
I thought the daughter's getting ready for her date secne was very funny.

John Beresford
12-22-2003, 08:09 AM
Well Im glad everyone agreed with my assessment of the audio on this two disc set; I only recommend DVDs I think will tickle the fancy of fellow home theater junkies like my friends in here!!

Yes, rear center imaging was spot-on, you guys are correct----and this was not even a DD EX or DTS ES mix! I heard MORE rear center information in this mix----and on T3---than I did on Attack of The Clones...and that is a certified Dolby Digital EX soundtrack. Go figure. Helicopters, bullets and cars flipping over definitely hit that rear center spot many times, and the whole thing just felt more realistic than many standard DD 5.1 mixes out there, no question.

And your analysis of this film, overall, is 100 percent correct: There is nothing -- unless you are fans of these two -- that would warrant BUYING this rather expensive 2 disc DVD set over just renting it once for the audio quality; this is not something that belongs in your ownership DVD rack----simply rent it, and its good enough.

John Beresford
12-22-2003, 08:21 AM
I thought the daughter's getting ready for her date secne was very funny.

Agreed. Very funny the way Smith totally came out of nowhere and starting harrassing the girl's date, even pulling out a gun on him----and the way the kid just stood there and took it made him a trooper. I probably would have **** in my pants and ran away.

recoveryone
12-22-2003, 12:10 PM
Agreed. Very funny the way Smith totally came out of nowhere and starting harrassing the girl's date, even pulling out a gun on him----and the way the kid just stood there and took it made him a trooper. I probably would have **** in my pants and ran away.

All of my friends have said over the years that my daughters( 12, 6, &3) dates will catch hell from me. That scene hit home for me, But nothing like Training Day. Some parts were right out of my time on the streets Kinda glad I'm not a Cop anymore LBPD Original Onetime