What Do YOU Think? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What Do YOU Think?

J*E*Cole
11-29-2004, 08:16 PM
Forgive me if this is not the best forum, but I gotta know:

Does anyone think Pink Floyd (Gilmour, Mason, Wright) will ever release ANYTHING new?
You know, like a whole new album. Ever? I need to know before I die...

Thanks!!!

Finch Platte
11-30-2004, 05:20 AM
Forgive me if this is not the best forum, but I gotta know:

Does anyone think Pink Floyd (Gilmour, Mason, Wright) will ever release ANYTHING new?
You know, like a whole new album. Ever? I need to know before I die...

Thanks!!!

...that there is one live show that they missed releasing in the 427 year span of PF's career. Look for it, all too soon.

fp

Dave_G
11-30-2004, 06:19 AM
My guess is that PF will never ever record an album together as a band, as everyone knows that Roger is basically unwilling or whatever to work with the rest of the band again.

But to me Roger Waters is the core of Pink Floyd.

I get my Floyd needs by watching the Roger Waters "In The Flesh" dvd, it is excellent.

Dave

ForeverAutumn
11-30-2004, 06:31 AM
I agree with Dave. I don't think that another Pink Floyd release is in the cards.

I don't agree that Waters is PF. In fact I think that some hard core PF fans might argue that Barrett was PF.

Personally, I've enjoyed PF in every stage of their career. I think that A Momentary Lapse of Reason is an excellent CD. And although I haven't spent as much time listening to The Division Bell, everytime I put it in the player, I enjoy it. In fact, if I had to choose a least favourite PF disk, it would probably be The Wall....Waters' masterpiece.

As much as I love this band, I really don't want to see a new release from them. I somehow doubt that anything new could have the same impact and flare as their previous stuff did. I haven't been disappointed by PF ever, and I would hate to start now. Sometimes its just better to let sleeping dogs lie.

J*E*Cole
11-30-2004, 06:56 AM
Yeah, that had occurred to me, and worries me equally. However, and I know I'm in the minority on this one, but to me Gilmour is PF. As with most of my favorite bands, I tend to like their latest stuff better than their earlier. But there are some exceptions. Yes Waters' "In The Flesh" is very good indeed but I wish PF (i.e. Gilmour, et al...) would release their "Pulse" program on DVD. I have the VHS tape, but tapes suck. Any rumors on that one?
Thanks...

Troy
11-30-2004, 07:56 AM
No, Pink Floyd will never release another album of new material.

Gilmour and Waters are the core members. They equal more than the sum of their parts. to me it's not Floyd without EITHER of them.

I'd like to think that someday, they WILL perform on stage together at some charity concert like Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit. They'll do a coule of acoustic songs like Wish You Were Here and Welcome to the Machine.

But no new songs, no.

I suggest you try some Porcupine Tree to satisfy your Pink Floyd itch.

Dave_G
11-30-2004, 08:40 AM
To me post Waters based Floyd was more "show" than deep musical content, but yes there is some good music on the few recordings they did without Roger. I like those two Gilmore albums too, and R.A.D.I.O.K.A.O.S.

No word out there at all about any non Waters based Floyd on dvd. But surely it will eventually get released.

Dave

Davey
11-30-2004, 08:58 AM
...but I wish PF (i.e. Gilmour, et al...) would release their "Pulse" program on DVD. I have the VHS tape, but tapes suck. Any rumors on that one?
Thanks...
There's been a lot more than rumors about the Pulse DVD as it was supposed to be released by now but has been delayed once again to Feb or Mar 2005. Definitely on the release schedule but it has been widely reported that there were some "technical difficulties" causing the delay. I'm sure they would've loved to have it out for Christmas :)

mad rhetorik
11-30-2004, 09:29 AM
No, Pink Floyd will never release another album of new material.

Gilmour and Waters are the core members. They equal more than the sum of their parts. to me it's not Floyd without EITHER of them.

I take it you're not a fan of the Barrett & Waters period then, huh Troy?

While I agree on the core principle that the chemistry between Waters and Gilmour made '70s Pink Floyd what it was, and that both solo Gilmour and solo Waters are lacking in that 'Floydian essence, I still think it was Waters who contributed more to the process. When Barrett left, Waters simply developed way past the rest of the band in terms of songwriting ability. Gilmour was far more musically capable, sure, but without Waters' vision his songs turn out pretty but rather insipid and bland.

On the other hand, when Waters become the driving force on <b>The Wall</b> and <b>The Final Cut</b> and the rest of the band was marginalized, his songs still stood well on their own merits. I would much rather listen to <b>The Final Cut</b> or even <b>Amused To Death</b>, despite their bitter and heavy-handed nature, over <b>A Momentary Lapse Of Reason</b>.

IMO of course.

I suggest you try some Porcupine Tree to satisfy your Pink Floyd itch.

I concur. Steve Wilson has both Gilmour's musical talent AND Waters' songwriting ability, but without coming off as a 'Floyd clone. The best of all worlds. Start with <b>In Absentia</b>, <b>Stupid Dream</b> and <b>Lightbulb Sun</b>, Cole, then go from there.

Troy
11-30-2004, 02:08 PM
I take it you're not a fan of the Barrett & Waters period then, huh Troy?

There were some great singles, but overall, not really a fan of the Barrett era. Like Brian Wilson, it was a shame they melted their brains. What great music did we miss?

While I agree on the core principle that the chemistry between Waters and Gilmour made '70s Pink Floyd what it was, and that both solo Gilmour and solo Waters are lacking in that 'Floydian essence, I still think it was Waters who contributed more to the process. When Barrett left, Waters simply developed way past the rest of the band in terms of songwriting ability. Gilmour was far more musically capable, sure, but without Waters' vision his songs turn out pretty but rather insipid and bland.

Waters had the lyric voice and Gilmour had the guitar sound. Waters goes too far off the deep end in his solo stuff. It's over-produced (even by MY standards) and he opts for the gospel thing too much. Can't stand that stuff. OTOH, Gilmour's solo stuff gets too poppy, too obvious. But I prefer the Gilour solo stuff to the Waters.

On the other hand, when Waters become the driving force on <b>The Wall</b> and <b>The Final Cut</b> and the rest of the band was marginalized, his songs still stood well on their own merits. I would much rather listen to <b>The Final Cut</b> or even <b>Amused To Death</b>, despite their bitter and heavy-handed nature, over <b>A Momentary Lapse Of Reason</b>.

IMO of course.

I disagree. Momentary was much more interesting to me than Final Cut OR the Wall. Well, the Wall would have been really great as a single album. It's severely padded.

Disagreeing is ok.

Porcupine Tree: I concur. Steve Wilson has both Gilmour's musical talent AND Waters' songwriting ability, but without coming off as a 'Floyd clone. The best of all worlds. Start with <b>In Absentia</b>, <b>Stupid Dream</b> and <b>Lightbulb Sun</b>, Cole, then go from there.

Actually, I think that "Up the Downstair" and "Sky Moves Sideways" are the most Pink of the PT releases, but they are all good, but with the exception of "In Absentia" which is quite easy to find ont eh cheap in used stores, most of the PT catalog is tough to find at the moment. It's worth the search.