New $450 Sealed Subwoofer Option [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New $450 Sealed Subwoofer Option

Woochifer
11-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Those of you in the market for a subwoofer, Acoustic Visions has come out with a new 10" downfiring subwoofer mounted in a sealed box. The MRS-10 is a lot more compact than the other sealed subs that I've seen in the $500 price range,and could be a good option for people who might be choosing between the Adire Audio Rava, Rocket VFW-10, or sealed options from B&W and Atlantic Technology. Just over two years ago, I remember that the Adire Rava was the only option I could find for a sealed sub in this price range, which is why I bought one. Now, the pickins look a LOT better! Sealed subs have certain advantages and disadvantages relative to the more common ported subs, but it seems that the MRS-10 is designed for smaller rooms where the room gain can benefit from the more gradual dropoff at the low end that a sealed sub gives.

Acoustic Visions is normally a component reseller for DIY speaker builders. They also make their own speaker and subwoofer enclosures, and sell subwoofer kits as well as some insane custom subwoofers built with Adire drivers. This is the first budget prefinished unit that they've put out.

http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/subwoofers/pre_finished/images/mrs-10front.jpg

They're one of Adire's biggest resellers and have made several subs with Adire components, but the MRS-10 uses a third-party 10" driver made from Adire's XBL^2 motor design (basically what's used in Adire's 15" Tumult driver). This sub also uses the same 250 watt plate amp that's used in the Adire Rava.

Home Theater Hi-Fi did a review and took some measurements. This sub looks like yet another nice option that did not exist just a couple of years ago. A compact, powerful, downfiring, sealed sub in a piano black finish. Anyway, here's the info.

http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/subwoofers/pre_finished/mrs10.shtml

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/acoustic-visions-mrs-10-subwoofer-11-2004.html

cone
12-03-2004, 05:26 PM
[Woochifer:...looks like a quality product...but they have a 20% restocking fee for returned items...a bit excessive and odd in my estimation...

Woochifer
12-03-2004, 10:36 PM
[Woochifer:...looks like a quality product...but they have a 20% restocking fee for returned items...a bit excessive and odd in my estimation...

Interesting indeed about the restocking fee. I didn't know about it, but it could stem back to the fact that Acoustic Visions has primarily been a parts vendor and prior to this new series, all of their subs were custom built to order. Kyle Richardson, the owner is very accessible, so I'm pretty sure he could address the restocking fee for anyone who's interested in trying out that model. Seems like the MRS-10 is being marketed more like a stock product, rather than a custom job. Restocking fees that high are more common with custom items and component parts than prefinished items.

Adire has a similar restocking fee, but that only applies to their components and parts. I know that they did not charge a restocking fee for the Rava because they maintain an inventory of that particular model and it's not a custom order item. Not sure about their other prefinished items because Adire does not keep a supply of them in their warehouse. They basically build the items when the customer orders them.

MikeF
12-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Hi Woochifer,

Can you offer an opinion on this subwoofer (at least as far as it looks on paper):

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=CLARUSX10150

Aside from the amp (and the price), it seems quite similar to Acoustic Visions model. The advantage for me is that Creative Sound is based out of Vancouver, BC, and since I'm located in Canada I can avoid the hassles with customs and duties. However, since it is mail order, I can't really audition it, and the "cheapest" sealed subs that I've seen in store start at about $900CAD (which is much more than I'm willing to spend). I've heard some of the ported offerings by Paradigm (PS1200) and others which are more expensive than this one and to me they don't have very tight bass.

My current set-up is a Denon 1803 receiver, Paradigm Mini monitors, CC370, ADP170 speakers, Panasonic DVD player, and a Toshiba 27" flat crt tv (which now has an intermittent annoying hum that I should ask Woodman about). The room in which this is located is ~1900 cubic feet, so I shouldn't need an enormous sub. What do you think?

Cheers,
Mike

magictooth
12-07-2004, 12:06 PM
Hi Woochifer,

Can you offer an opinion on this subwoofer (at least as far as it looks on paper):

Aside from the amp (and the price), it seems quite similar to Acoustic Visions model. The advantage for me is that Creative Sound is based out of Vancouver, BC, and since I'm located in Canada I can avoid the hassles with customs and duties. However, since it is mail order, I can't really audition it, and the "cheapest" sealed subs that I've seen in store start at about $900CAD (which is much more than I'm willing to spend). I've heard some of the ported offerings by Paradigm (PS1200) and others which are more expensive than this one and to me they don't have very tight bass.

My current set-up is a Denon 1803 receiver, Paradigm Mini monitors, CC370, ADP170 speakers, Panasonic DVD player, and a Toshiba 27" flat crt tv (which now has an intermittent annoying hum that I should ask Woodman about). The room in which this is located is ~1900 cubic feet, so I shouldn't need an enormous sub. What do you think?

Cheers,
Mike

I had my sub custom built by these guys. I can vouch for sure about the quality of service and goods that I received from them. I don't know about this sub in particular, but Bob (I think) is a good guy that you can get on the phone or via email. I'm sure he'll be willing to help you with suggestions.

My sub is in a 21" cube enclosure with the Adire Tempest (15" driver), and some German 400W plate amp. It is ported and tuned to 20Hz.

MikeF
12-07-2004, 01:21 PM
I had my sub custom built by these guys. I can vouch for sure about the quality of service and goods that I received from them. I don't know about this sub in particular, but Bob (I think) is a good guy that you can get on the phone or via email. I'm sure he'll be willing to help you with suggestions.

My sub is in a 21" cube enclosure with the Adire Tempest (15" driver), and some German 400W plate amp. It is ported and tuned to 20Hz.

That's good to know. I've never mail-ordered anything significant before, so it's reassuring to hear that they are good to deal with. I should have made an effort to go to their store when I was in Vancouver this past September and saved myself the shipping, although I'd have probably had to pay sales tax instead (net savings to me = zero).

Sounds like you have a huge sub . . . what size of room are you using yours in? I'm not looking to go that big, but the nice thing about their smaller one is that it has an Adire-licensed driver. The amp that they use in this sub is probably the weakest link, and although CSS does offer a more expensive model using the Hypex HS200 amp (at double the cost) with the same driver and enclosure, I don't think I can justify the extra money.

Cheers,
Mike

magictooth
12-08-2004, 11:38 AM
That's good to know. I've never mail-ordered anything significant before, so it's reassuring to hear that they are good to deal with. I should have made an effort to go to their store when I was in Vancouver this past September and saved myself the shipping, although I'd have probably had to pay sales tax instead (net savings to me = zero).

Sounds like you have a huge sub . . . what size of room are you using yours in? I'm not looking to go that big, but the nice thing about their smaller one is that it has an Adire-licensed driver. The amp that they use in this sub is probably the weakest link, and although CSS does offer a more expensive model using the Hypex HS200 amp (at double the cost) with the same driver and enclosure, I don't think I can justify the extra money.

Cheers,
Mike
I was thinking of using the HS500 amp for my sub, but I couldn't justify the extra cost (I think about $500 more than I paid for my amp). Sorry, I forgot which amp it is, and I didn't check at home. As for room size, mine is 23'x14.5'x8' It's fair size room, but I've put a lot of paintings and traps up and the room is carpeted so there's really not too much boominess. I've also used the AVIA disc to calibrate.

Woochifer
12-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Hi Woochifer,

This does look like it could be a very nice deal. From what I've been reading Adire's XBL^2 drivers can move a lot of air. My only concern would be the amp. Depending on the efficiency of the driver, it could suck up a lot of power during peaks, since you're talking about a sealed sub with a long-throw driver. Then again, if you're not playing for 100 db peaks, it might not really matter. The only issue would be if you have a large room, where amplification matters more. Also, a 10" sealed sub like this one benefit more from a smaller room where they can take advantage of the room gain to make up for the low end dropoff that begins sooner. In a large room, you don't get that room gain, so the low end extension might not be enough, depending on the type of bass that you're looking for.

If this is the only sealed option in your price range (check B&W and Atlantic Technology as well, since they make sealed subs in the $500USD price range), it might be worth trying out if the company will let you return the sub should you decide that it doesn't meet your needs. Your risk is the shipping charges. You could also check into whether they can sell you one of the Adire Ravas since they are an Adire reseller.

MikeF
12-09-2004, 08:04 AM
This does look like it could be a very nice deal. From what I've been reading Adire's XBL^2 drivers can move a lot of air. My only concern would be the amp. Depending on the efficiency of the driver, it could suck up a lot of power during peaks, since you're talking about a sealed sub with a long-throw driver. Then again, if you're not playing for 100 db peaks, it might not really matter. The only issue would be if you have a large room, where amplification matters more. Also, a 10" sealed sub like this one benefit more from a smaller room where they can take advantage of the room gain to make up for the low end dropoff that begins sooner. In a large room, you don't get that room gain, so the low end extension might not be enough, depending on the type of bass that you're looking for.

If this is the only sealed option in your price range (check B&W and Atlantic Technology as well, since they make sealed subs in the $500USD price range), it might be worth trying out if the company will let you return the sub should you decide that it doesn't meet your needs. Your risk is the shipping charges. You could also check into whether they can sell you one of the Adire Ravas since they are an Adire reseller.

Thanks for the feedback. I took a quick look on the CSS web site and it states that they have a 45 day no hassle return policy. I think that I contact they guys in the new year and order me a sub. Thanks again to everyone.

Cheers,
Mike

MikeF
07-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Hi guys,

Well, I think I got a good deal on a sub this weekend. I've been dragging my feet with the sub purchase as it always seems like something else needs my money more. Anyhow, I was at A&B Sound (not a hi-fi store, but they carry some quality products) and they had a Velodyne SPL-800 Series II sub for $385CAD (original list was $1500) - a demo unit clearance blow-out sale. If you believe the product literature, it's -3dB limit is 28 Hz, with a Class D 1000W amp. Granted it's only an 8" driver, but given I don't have that big of a room, I'm hoping that it will fill out the bottom end well enough. The great thing about it is that it's about 1 cubic foot in size. I've placed it in the left front corner and hooked it up but haven't had a chance to really play with it yet.

Any tips & tricks for proper setup?? I have the Digital Video Essentials DVD and a Radio Shack SPL meter.

Cheers,
Mike

agtpunx40
07-12-2005, 06:17 AM
get a behringer feedback destroyer for about $100 to use as a Parametric EQ. It will let you correct many of the room induced problems you, and everyone else, has.