Any runaways for Record of the Year? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any runaways for Record of the Year?

Davey
11-29-2004, 10:46 AM
Runaways? Oh yeah, now there was a band we could all get behind! Joan and Lita and Cherie and....who were the others? Oops, that's not what I'm talking about here anyway! I sure get off track easy these days ;)

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000DZGTZ.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Back to 2004 and it's getting close to the end of the year and I was just a little curious what album might be shaping up into your favorite this year. Been listening myself the last few days a lot to that Honeydogs 10,000 Years that I just can't seem to permanently dislodge from my top spot. Been moving up and down my list ever since I first heard it back in May or June, but seems to be settling in close to the top right now. Actually says 2003 on the CD case because it did get a very limited pre-release at the end of last year, but not an official release until the end of March, this year. Anyway, with the last few listens it has really begun to sink in just how brilliant this album is, and I don't think anything else quite makes it to that overall level for me right now. Well, until I get sidetracked again on something else newer and more eclectic - but for rock that leans toward Beatleseque pop along the lines of the Jayhawks and Aimee Mann and more "grown-up" bands than you can shake a stick at, this is the best. But of course that's just my unprofessional opinion and I have on occasion been exposed as a listener of "fruity dribble", so YMMV ;)

Let's hear some picks! And not a list of 10 albums....do some editing!

nobody
11-29-2004, 11:07 AM
I can't say for sure what will end up being my favorite of 2004, but there are some really good ones that I'll probably be considering...

<b>The Streets: A Grand Don't Come for Free</b>
I liked the debut, but this one is head and shoulders above it in my estimation. It retains the unique qualities of the first and makes things sound more musical overall. The cohesive storyline is a bonus and he tells his tale in plain language that makes it all come together easily.

<b>Iron & Wine: our Endless Numbered Days</b>
Not really the kind of thing I'm usually to into. Acoustic singer/songwriter kinda folky stuff, but just done so darn well that I've listened to this one a ton.

<b>Cee Lo Green is the Soul Machine</b>
Great mix of funk/r&b/hip hop, etc... I like this one as much this year as I liked OutKast last year, probably a bit better actually. It's more cohesive. Treds the line between radio friendly and experimental amazingly well.

<b>Air: Talkie Walkie</b>
I've liked everything these guys have put out and this is no exception. It's a return to more poppy territory than 10,000 Hz Legend, an album that took me a while to get into, but which I listen to often nowadays. It's fun, airy, lush, acoustic, electronic, lots of sounds rolled into one.

Still, others could sneak up there quickly. I just gave another listen to <b>Van Lear Rose</b> and was blown away. <b>Kanye West</b>'s album was really good. <b>Tom Waits</b> is always up there for me. Others I haven't heard would include releases by <b>Nick Cave</b>, and <b>Jean Grey</b> among others. Probably more that I'm forgetting to mention here.

Overall, a tough year to grab one out of. Lots of really good albums, but I don't know that there was one that was heads and shoulders above the crowd.

kexodusc
11-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Don't really think this was that great or terrible a year, especially in genres I typically like, but some notables include (in NO PARTICULAR ORDER):

1) Norah Jones - Feels Like Home (solid, but very different, follow-up album, establishes her as more than a one trick pony...props to her for bringing the whole band into the spotlight too)
2) Megadeth - The System Has Failed (definitely comeback of the year award)
3) Gov't Mule - Deja Voodoo (comeback of the year runner-up)

I spent most of 2004 checking out other groups back catalogs...

mad rhetorik
11-29-2004, 12:36 PM
Mastodon's <b>Leviathon</b> is awesome. If not the Record Of The Year, it's at least a runaway for Best Metal Album IMO. Converge's <b>You Fail Me</b>, Isis' <b>Panopticon</b>, and Dillinger Escape Plan's <b>Miss Machine</b> were all solid followups to excellent albums, but not even close to touching <b>Leviathon</b>. Meshuggah's <b>-I-</b> is a one-song EP and therefore doesn't really count.

I still haven't heard Megadeth's latest yet... if the hype is correct it could be an excellent comeback effort, though my hopes aren't too high. Reviews on Amazon have been lukewarm. So far, it's Mastodon all the way, unless Opeth or Meshuggah manage to sneak in a full-length album before the year is out (not likely).

Slosh
11-29-2004, 03:47 PM
If Les Savy Fav - Inches wasn't a comp with songs originally released as far back as 1996 it would, without a doubt, be my #1 . . . . . but it is so I'll go with Pinback - Summer In Abaddon today. By the end of the year it could be Earlimart - Treble & Tremble or The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat or maybe even something I pick up in the next 32 days. :)

~Slosh - a young man with more on my mind than in it

J*E*Cole
11-29-2004, 08:09 PM
Mark Knopfler's "Shangri-La" currently occupies my top spot right now, while

A Perfect Circle's "Thirteenth Step" seems to be almost as good as "Mer de Noms" and

U2's late release of "How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" is shaping up really well.

Slosh
11-30-2004, 12:21 AM
A Perfect Circle's "Thirteenth Step" seems to be almost as good as "Mer de Noms" and

That's a 2003 release. Yeah, I'm anal about these things.

Actually, I was disappointed with 13th Step but maybe my expectations were too high as I thought Mer de Noms was easily as good as Tool's best (Undertow and Aenima), and better than Opiate and the wanky Lateralus.

J*E*Cole
11-30-2004, 07:07 AM
That's a 2003 release. Yeah, I'm anal about these things.

Actually, I was disappointed with 13th Step but maybe my expectations were too high as I thought Mer de Noms was easily as good as Tool's best (Undertow and Aenima), and better than Opiate and the wanky Lateralus.

Oops, I guess I lost a year somewhere. I agree APC's Mer de Noms is most excellent and I knew that it would be difficult to follow up on. BTW, doesn't Aenima just kick A$$. No one is safe from that song, but it's a beaut. I remember at the last Tool concert I attended, this song was the biggest hit. The crowd went nuts, and I witnessed the biggest mosh pit I have ever seen. (But I still don't get that whole Mosh thing.) Thanks and sorry for the missing year.

Dusty Chalk
11-30-2004, 09:51 AM
Well, towards the beginning of the year, it was easily Auf der Maur. But that's before I heard Ghost's Hypnotic Underworld, Neurosis' Eye of the Storm (easily my metal album of the year), Dresden Dolls, Ayreon's Human Equation and Múm's Summer Make Good. And those are just the contender's for the top spot. Miss Kittin got ousted (from that top spot) by one track, dagnabit. I'm still weeding through my 2004 releases, I may have missed something.

dbi
11-30-2004, 10:09 AM
But that's before I heard Ghost's Hypnotic Underworld
Yeah, great album. Keep forgetting about that one because it didn't make the trip out here with me. Might just be the best new prog rock release this year, except I don't really hear enough to know. I thought it would've been a lot bigger around sites like this but it didn't seem to catch enough buzz or something. Maybe it's too difficult? I thought it pretty accessible myself and outstanding musicianship. Anyway, nice choice and I hope to be reunited with all my CDs before much longer to give it a much missed listen or 10. Nice review at the <a href=http://www.scaruffi.com/vol6/ghost.html#hyp>Pierro Scaruffi</a> site where I think he still has it as best of the year.