want to get receiver for xmas which one under $250 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : want to get receiver for xmas which one under $250

amb7247
11-29-2004, 01:44 AM
I want to get the best on under $250 all ther allowing lol. Anywy I hav the Kenwood VR-606 that I'd like to get rid of. It seems it's not producing well and it was a used unit. THe video 2 mode also does not work on it.

I was thinking about the Yamaha HTR-5740 including shpping under $250. Anyone recommend any others?

hershon
11-29-2004, 02:38 AM
Again at the risk of sounding like a broken record, you can get for under $210 including shipping new and sealed the JVC RX-DV31SL which is great (I have 2 of them) and retails for $450. You can get this off Amazon.com from their private selelrs or Ebay.

ruadmaa
11-29-2004, 03:19 AM
You might want to check out the Panasonic line of receivers. They generally offer the biggest bang for the buck, are reliable and have features comparable to most other brands. You should be able to find a good assortment at the jandrmusic website.

chimera128
11-29-2004, 04:32 AM
You might want to spend a little more unless you want to keep on replacing components because you are unhappy with them. That being said... yamaha, denon, onkyo, hk are the receivers that I would look at. Denon receivers start at $300 but you can usually work on the price a bit. Just find a store in your town that isn't a chain and you can usually negotiate some off of the price even if they aren't on sale.

Eric Z
11-29-2004, 01:11 PM
I like the 5740. I auditioned it while I was shopping for receivers. I opted for the 5760 because of some more options (especially the YPAO feature).

I couldn't tell too much of a difference when playing 2 channel music between the 5740 and 5760.

I need to get a receiver for a second HT and I was looking at the 5740- I might still pick it up. I recommend buying it from somewhere that has a good return policy- just in case it wasn't what you were looking for. If you are buying it online (and the return policy isn't the best), visit the local Best Buy and take a look at it. You can always buy it there and see if you like it. Then return it within the 30 days and buy one cheaper online. Just a thought.