Holy Smokes! This new computer is fast [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Holy Smokes! This new computer is fast

ForeverAutumn
11-28-2004, 12:57 PM
I finally bought a new computer. I hated making comps on the old computer because it took for-freakin-ever to copy anything. The old clunker took 3 - 4 minutes to rip one track and about 20 minutes to copy a full disk.

My new baby takes less than a minute to rip a track and under 5 minutes to copy a full disk.

Hallelujah!!!

Swish
11-28-2004, 01:41 PM
I finally bought a new computer. I hated making comps on the old computer because it took for-freakin-ever to copy anything. The old clunker took 3 - 4 minutes to rip one track and about 20 minutes to copy a full disk.

My new baby takes less than a minute to rip a track and under 5 minutes to copy a full disk.

Hallelujah!!!

While getting a new PC is always fun, I don't think the slow burning speed had much to do with the PC itself. My burner was sluggish too but my PC was reasonably fast with a 1.4 Ghz Athalon processor and 512 MB of RAM. I upgraded my burner to a 52x write speed TDK and it was like night and day. I would imagine most new burners that are installed on PCs are about the same these days, although I haven't shopped for a computer in a long time. I would say that mine takes about the same amount of time as yours to copy a normal length cd,. or about 5 minutes. Compilations that go the distance, or nearly 80 minutes, take a few minutes longer of course.

Say, does this mean I can expect a comp soon? :D

Swish

Worf101
11-28-2004, 02:48 PM

Hallelujah!!!

Enquiring gorgnards and home builders wanna know. Gimme specs, specs.. specs.. or are you an off the shelf kinda person?

Da Worfster :confused:

Finch Platte
11-28-2004, 05:59 PM

Hallelujah!!!

You guys have been using your computers to make copies of discs for your comps??

Wow. I've been getting musicians over to my house to learn the songs exactly, recording them and then putting those songs on my comps.

Holy crap, do I feel dumb.

fp

Hyfi
11-29-2004, 05:13 AM

Hallelujah!!!

With a 52x max burner, it reads music tracks at about 13x. Your old burner probably only read music at about 5x.

For piece of mind, use the temp file and hard drive instead of "Copy on the fly". If you do copy on the fly, you want your burn speed to be less than the read spead to avoid buffer problems and dropouts. I burn everything at 12x and I am no impatient.

Glad your having fun. I went out on Black Friday and got some great deals after rebates.
200 GB hard drive-$40
160 GB hard drive-$40
2 NIC cards-Free
100 blank cds-free
power strip-free
4 port usb hub-free
64 meg thumb drive-free
256 meg thumb drive-$10

ForeverAutumn
11-29-2004, 11:15 AM
Enquiring gorgnards and home builders wanna know. Gimme specs, specs.. specs.. or are you an off the shelf kinda person?

Da Worfster :confused:

I'm definately an off-the-shelf, right-outa-the-box kind of girl. Although Hyfi keeps insisting on how easy it would be to build my own computer. I'm just a plain old chicken when it comes to trying to do anything even remotely technical.

Here's a link to the specs...
http://www.hp.ca/products/static/presario-desktops/sr1150nx/index.php

All I bought was the box. My old monitor might take up a lot of space, but it works just fine and I didn't see the point of putting out more $$$ just to have a flat screen. I'll wait a year or two until the prices drop. Although a cordless keyboard is definately on the Christmas list. :)

I got a pretty good deal on the computer. It was on sale, then discounted again because I bought an open box. Then I asked for a deeper discount instead of taking the crappy free printer that they were trying to unload with each PC sold.

Now I'm just trying to get the thing set up the way I like it and removing all the trials and other crap that they pre-install. Did Swish say that this was supposed to be fun?! :rolleyes:

Swish
11-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Now I'm just trying to get the thing set up the way I like it and removing all the trials and other crap that they pre-install. Did Swish say that this was supposed to be fun?! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Ok, I guess "fun" may be overstating it, but I do enjoy it for some strange reason. My elderly uncly recently got a new Dell and, after a few well-intentioned relatives "helped" him set it up, he called me and told me his mouse and keyboard weren't working, and he could not connect to the internet. I went to his apartment and was on a mission to get him up and running, and it was rather easy. The mouse and keyboard connections were reversed (it's not too difficult when they're color coded!), and after a few minutes on the phone with his ISP, he was connected. Most of my time was spent updating his anti-virus software (he's on dial-up) and installing a few other things for him. He called me a "genius", something I've never been accused of before, and promised to buy me dinner at a local steakhouse.

Anyway, it was pretty cool to get him up and running for the first time, especially after 3 brothers-in-law failed miserably for whatever reason. I'm no techno-geek, but I thought this was a piece of proverbial cake. Just don't expect me to come to Toronto to help you! I'm easy but I'm not cheap.

Swisheroo

Dave_G
11-29-2004, 12:16 PM
I rarely use a computer to make comps or cdr's or whatever, becasue I just have a single drawer laptop now, so all my comping is done on the stereo @ 1:1 speed, thus you rarely see anymore Dave_G comps, but you never know, one may show up eventually!

Hell, I still owe JDaniel a replacement AC/DC comp and a GOV'T+MULE comp, and owe BarryL a few things too...

My Dell desktop that now lives somewhere else was damn fast until my son installed AOL IM on it, it needs more RAM too but was still pretty fast.

I tellya what else slows down a pc and that's the Microsoft office suite.

Dave

Worf101
11-30-2004, 08:34 AM
I'm definately an off-the-shelf, right-outa-the-box kind of girl. Although Hyfi keeps insisting on how easy it would be to build my own computer. I'm just a plain old chicken when it comes to trying to do anything even remotely technical.

Here's a link to the specs...
http://www.hp.ca/products/static/presario-desktops/sr1150nx/index.php

All I bought was the box. My old monitor might take up a lot of space, but it works just fine and I didn't see the point of putting out more $$$ just to have a flat screen. I'll wait a year or two until the prices drop. Although a cordless keyboard is definately on the Christmas list. :)

I got a pretty good deal on the computer. It was on sale, then discounted again because I bought an open box. Then I asked for a deeper discount instead of taking the crappy free printer that they were trying to unload with each PC sold.

Now I'm just trying to get the thing set up the way I like it and removing all the trials and other crap that they pre-install. Did Swish say that this was supposed to be fun?! :rolleyes:

Only a few thangs scare me from the deal. First the price. But you said you gotta deal so that mitigates that one. Second, I'd a preferred a full gig of ram, but since you're not gaming it probably doesn't matter. And it says you can upgrade it to a full 2 gigs so... no biggie.

But two things I never, ever would have opted for though are integrated sound and video. If all you're gonna do is surf the web and burn CD it's probably "alright" but anything that involves intense graphics and sound is gonna bog your baby down pretty bad. But if the MoBo and bios work right you'd may be able to upgrade sound and graphics with add-ons if you ever choose to.

But the bottom line is this... if you're happy, I'm happy....

Da Worfster

PS I've built three puters from scratch in the last 4 years.. I love it.
:cool: