Which Onkyo A/V Receiver? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which Onkyo A/V Receiver?

izzyk
11-27-2004, 11:00 AM
I am trying to decide between 2 Onkyo receivers; SR502 vs. DS595. They would both cost the same.

I would really appreciate your expertise and opinions.

:confused:

Gina Urnshow
12-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Buy the newer model the SR502

eisforelectronic
12-07-2004, 05:29 AM
Get an HK

Worf101
12-07-2004, 07:37 AM
I've owned many Onkyo HT receivers from the 501, 787 on up to the 898. I've never bought this years model. Each one has been used or B-stock off of the internet, ebay in particular. I prefer going to the previous years model and saving a bundle. What do you lose in doing that, one or two features at best. Most of these you'll probably never use anyway. Nope, if you can calibrate your system yourself and don't need web radio, why spend all that money on new receiver.

Da Worfster :cool:

kexodusc
12-07-2004, 07:48 AM
Get an HK
Now why would he want to do that? :D

markw
12-07-2004, 08:59 AM
I've owned many Onkyo HT receivers from the 501, 787 on up to the 898. I've never bought this years model. Each one has been used or B-stock off of the internet, ebay in particular. I prefer going to the previous years model and saving a bundle. What do you lose in doing that, one or two features at best. Most of these you'll probably never use anyway. Nope, if you can calibrate your system yourself and don't need web radio, why spend all that money on new receiver.

Da Worfster :cool:Here in scenic New Jersey, we have a chain. 6th Avenue Electronics that always puts last years models on sale (NIB) to make room for the next years models. Like Da Worfster said, most of the changes are incremantal and can easily be lived without unles you're into keeping up with the Jones's and, in any case, it will be superceded by another model in a few months anyway.

That's how I wound up with a Denon 2802 for $395 two years ago. Keep an eye on your B & M's flyers in the Sunday papers.