From scratch... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : From scratch...

fotozcd
11-26-2004, 09:23 AM
I want to upgrade my stereo system and the options are overwhelming. This will feed music---a wide variety, from Radohead to bossanova---into two rooms approx. 24' x 14'. I'm considering the following:

Audiosource Amp 3 or a Rotel (which?)

NAD CD player

Speakers: Floor or Bookshelf?

Brand? Athena, Axiom, or JMLab speakers

Any thoughts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Feanor
11-26-2004, 01:21 PM
...Any thoughts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Amp: Rotel for sure over AudioSouce; audiophiles have nothing good to say about the latter. Or you might consider NAD C320Bee or Cambridge Azur 540A

CD Player: NAD, or consider Cambridge Azure 540C

Speakers: Floorstanding unless you expect to buy a subwoofer soon.

Speaker brand: There's no substitute for listening, but of the ones you mention and if you go floor, I'd lean to JMlab Chorus 714 S, though they will be a more money than, say, Athena AS-F2.

fotozcd
11-26-2004, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback. The AudioSource came to me via my research on audioreview.

A neighborof mine just suggested RBH speaker system. What are your thoughts on that manufacturer?

Again, thank you!

Amp: Rotel for sure over AudioSouce; audiophiles have nothing good to say about the latter. Or you might consider NAD C320Bee or Cambridge Azur 540A

CD Player: NAD, or consider Cambridge Azure 540C

Speakers: Floorstanding unless you expect to buy a subwoofer soon.

Speaker brand: There's no substitute for listening, but of the ones you mention and if you go floor, I'd lean to JMlab Chorus 714 S, though they will be a more money than, say, Athena AS-F2.