I need HELP!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I need HELP!!!!

syberman
11-26-2004, 02:29 AM
I need help with my HT system. O.K., I have a 61 inch Samsung DLP tv, Onkyo SR601 reciever, Bose Acoustimass 10 series speakers (5 double cubed) with a subwoffer, Panasonic DVD player and a Sony VCR and a Dish Network 811 HD reciever. Alright, my problem is that there is no sound coming to my surround speakers in the rear. I adjust my speakers through the Onkyo reciever and I do get a hissing noise, so the speakers are fine. I was talking to a friend of mine and he told me to turn off the speakers on my tv and I should be fine. I went home and I do not have a way to turn my tv speaker off, so I just turned down the volume to zero. I put a movie in the DVD player, Bourne Identity, and to my amazement, I finally heard my surround speakers. :) Then the other day I rented three movies, and I couldn't hear any sound from my surround speakers. And they were action movies. I don't know how to fix this problem. I have component cables from my DVD to the tv and also optical cable, for audio, going from my DVD to A/V reciever. I also have DVI cable going from my satellite reciever to the tv and optical cable to the A/V reciever. I also do not hear sound on my surround sound speakers when I am watching a HD channel that is transmitting Dolby 5.1surround sound. How can I fix this, can someone help me?

ruadmaa
11-26-2004, 03:46 AM
I need help with my HT system. O.K., I have a 61 inch Samsung DLP tv, Onkyo SR601 reciever, Bose Acoustimass 10 series speakers (5 double cubed) with a subwoffer, Panasonic DVD player and a Sony VCR and a Dish Network 811 HD reciever. Alright, my problem is that there is no sound coming to my surround speakers in the rear. I adjust my speakers through the Onkyo reciever and I do get a hissing noise, so the speakers are fine. I was talking to a friend of mine and he told me to turn off the speakers on my tv and I should be fine. I went home and I do not have a way to turn my tv speaker off, so I just turned down the volume to zero. I put a movie in the DVD player, Bourne Identity, and to my amazement, I finally heard my surround speakers. :) Then the other day I rented three movies, and I couldn't hear any sound from my surround speakers. And they were action movies. I don't know how to fix this problem. I have component cables from my DVD to the tv and also optical cable, for audio, going from my DVD to A/V reciever. I also have DVI cable going from my satellite reciever to the tv and optical cable to the A/V reciever. I also do not hear sound on my surround sound speakers when I am watching a HD channel that is transmitting Dolby 5.1surround sound. How can I fix this, can someone help me?

First check the settings in your DVD player setup menu to see that they are correct, then check your receiver to see that it is set to receive digital not PCM/Analog sound. One of these two places is most likely to be causing the trouble.

durango
11-26-2004, 05:52 AM
I have a Samsung 50" DLP and the manual states that the if you have componet cables hook up to the TV, the sound will not come out of the audio out on the tv. If you want the sound to come out of the TV to the reciever, you must hook up the video to the s-video input. Right now that is frustrating because with the reciever I have right now won't allow me to hookup all the video to the reciever. I am now waiting for the reciever with HDMI inputs and outputs.

Kendal

Worf101
11-26-2004, 11:51 AM
1. Your TV has NOTHING to do with getting DD from your DVD movies etc.

2. Bose is a proprietary system i.e. you can't use them with other receivers and such and get the full benefit. That's why people here don't do bose.

3. I've used the Onkyo 601 and it's predecessors. If you want DD 5.1 from your DVD player simply plug the digital coaxial out from DVD into one of the coaxial DVD inputs in the receiver. Same thing if you want to used a fibre optic output. This is the only way you will get 5.1 sound out of the receiver/DVD

4. You must then power the Bose speakers (if you can do it) from the receiver NOT from the Bose sub-woofer.

I hope this helps..

Da Worfster