Best headphones under $200?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best headphones under $200??

wardnine
11-25-2004, 07:22 PM
Hello, I'm looking for the best sounding headhphones (for my tastes, anyway) under $200. I listen to a lot of rap/hip-hop so am looking for headphones that play extremely well at large volumes and have excellent bass. An excellent "all-around" sound is a must as well. Looking also for something that looks good and is comfortable. These headphones are mainly for use with my home stereo so I am also looking for some recommendations for wireless (as well as wire) headphones. I've heard good things about the Grado SR-225 or even the Grado SR-80 but have also heard the bass is not exceptional as well as complaints about comfortability and overall aesthetics... are there any alternative recommendations for my tastes or are the Grados the best out there??? Thanks!!!

Julie

nick250
11-26-2004, 06:46 AM
Hello, I'm looking for the best sounding headhphones (for my tastes, anyway) under $200. I listen to a lot of rap/hip-hop so am looking for headphones that play extremely well at large volumes and have excellent bass. An excellent "all-around" sound is a must as well. Looking also for something that looks good and is comfortable. These headphones are mainly for use with my home stereo so I am also looking for some recommendations for wireless (as well as wire) headphones. I've heard good things about the Grado SR-225 or even the Grado SR-80 but have also heard the bass is not exceptional as well as complaints about comfortability and overall aesthetics... are there any alternative recommendations for my tastes or are the Grados the best out there??? Thanks!!!

Julie

Just like speakers you need to audition headphones because the sound they put varies greatly. The Grado sound is exaggerated, lively, punchy, in your face. One feels like they are sitting in the middle of the band. I own a pair of the SR-80s and use them when I am in the mood for that kind of sound. For me they can be a bit tiring to listen to for more than about as hour or so. To me the bass seems strong. They are also easy to drive so you can use them with a portable CD player if you want.

I also own a pair of Senns HD 580's. They are my favorite. A smooth actuate sound and very comfortable to wear. They do need a receiver or amp to drive them since they are not particularly efficient. They fair poorly when driven by a portable cd player

Nick
IMHO, YMMV yadda, yadda,