Happy Thanksgiving everyone [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Jim Clark
11-25-2004, 08:30 AM
Even those who already enjoyed it. Lots to be thankful for, couldn't even begin to cover it in a mere post. Hope you're able to spend the day with your families and hopefully even work a bit of music in, I know I will. Thanks to AR for making this forum available. Now I should get back to my real family and thank them for watching some stupid parade so I could sneak off to visit this board!

jc

BarryL
11-25-2004, 08:35 AM
Even those who already enjoyed it. Lots to be thankful for, couldn't even begin to cover it in a mere post. Hope you're able to spend the day with your families and hopefully even work a bit of music in, I know I will. Thanks to AR for making this forum available. Now I should get back to my real family and thank them for watching some stupid parade so I could sneak off to visit this board!

jc

To my American neighbours, Happy Thanksgiving. Take the day to appreciate life and living, and the happiness and joy we can bring to ourselves and our loved one's if we choose to make the time.

I don't know why Canadian's celebrate Thanksgiving earlier. I guess being further north, our harvest occurs earlier. I don't think it's tied to any significant historic event. If you know, FA, then pipe up, please. Hey AudioBill, you're a knowledgeable fellow. What do you teach your students?

Dusty Chalk
11-25-2004, 09:53 AM
Happy Turkey Day!

ForeverAutumn
11-25-2004, 03:01 PM
To my American neighbours, Happy Thanksgiving. Take the day to appreciate life and living, and the happiness and joy we can bring to ourselves and our loved one's if we choose to make the time.

I don't know why Canadian's celebrate Thanksgiving earlier. I guess being further north, our harvest occurs earlier. I don't think it's tied to any significant historic event. If you know, FA, then pipe up, please. Hey AudioBill, you're a knowledgeable fellow. What do you teach your students?

That explains why my soap opera isn't on today!

Well, Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends!!!

Hey BarryL, thanks for giving me a little project to work on while sitting in a hotel room in Sault Ste Marie. It truly is the Great White North here today. I'm sitting in a lovely little suite, sipping tea and watching the snow fall onto the trees decorated with christmas lights, outside. It's very beautiful. I say that now, but I'll be cursing like a sailor if the snow delays my flight home tomorrow morning. :(

Anyway, I did a google search and came up with the following history of Canadian Thanksgiving....

The Canadian Thanksgiving makes an interesting counterpoint to the holiday celebrated by its southern neighbor. As mentioned earlier, the first North American thanksgiving event occurred in Newfoundland in 1578. In the 1600s, Samuel de Champlain and the French Settlers who came with him established an “Order of Good Cheer.“ This group would hold huge celebrations marking the harvests and other events, sharing their food with Native American neighbours.

The First Canadian Thanksgiving
The first Canadian Thanksgiving was celebrated on April 15, 1872 in thanks for the recovery of the future King Edward VII from a serious illness. The next Thanksgiving didn’t occur until 1879 when it was celebrated on a Thursday in November.

Setting a Date
Much like the United States, Canada seemed to have a difficult time deciding when a day of Thanksgiving should occur. From 1879 to 1898 it was celebrated on a Thursday in November; from 1899 to 1907 on a Thursday in October (except in 1901 and 1904 when it was celebrated on a Thursday in November); from 1908 to 1921 on a Monday in October; and between 1922 and 1930 the Armistice Day Act declared that Thanksgiving would be celebrated on Armistice Day, the Monday of November 11. In 1931 the Act was amended and the old practice of Parliament declaring a day of Thanksgiving each year was resumed.

On January 31, 1957 Parliament issued a proclamation to fix permanently the second Monday in October as "a day of general Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed.“

Much like the United States’ Thanksgiving Day, the Canadian celebration includes parades and festive meals, often including turkey and all the “fixins.“ Yet, again, at the heart of the celebration is the idea of giving thanks for the goodness of the season past.

Here's the link if you want to read more...
http://www.thanksgiving-traditions.com/html/canada.html

Troy
11-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Party on, amigos!

Dave_G
11-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Good n bad.

Got to see my mom and dad, he has alz. and Parkinsons, my mom is 77 and still tough but weak nevertheless.

Also got to see my 2 boys too which is great, but still my present personal/family situation stinks in a big kind of way..

Dave