Anyone know where I can download some test tones? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where I can download some test tones?

kexodusc
11-23-2004, 11:42 AM
Looking for test-tones specifically between 20 Hz and 3000 Hz...preferably in lower increments (ie: every 10 Hz until 100Hz then every octave or so)?
I've got a pile o tests to run on some midwoofers, and a sub. This would sure be handy...if it even exists?
Thanks.

Woochifer
11-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Sonny Parker's BFD setup website has links to some test tones in MP3 format. They only go up to about 500 Hz, but he's got tones at 1 Hz increments in the lower frequencies. Of coruse, you could just buy a test disc as well! The Stryke disc goes for $12 and it has the audible spectrum in 1/6 octave intervals. Sweeps, sine waves, warbles, etc.

http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm

kexodusc
11-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Thanks Wooch (how'd I know it'd be you?).

The downloads are handy, DVD format is no good to me at this point.

BTW: You have the BFD? How do you like it? Do you only use it as an EQ (as I suspect most do?).

Woochifer
11-23-2004, 12:56 PM
Thanks Wooch (how'd I know it'd be you?).

The downloads are handy, DVD format is no good to me at this point.

BTW: You have the BFD? How do you like it? Do you only use it as an EQ (as I suspect most do?).

Yer welcome!

Actually, the test discs from Stryke and Rives Audio are CDs, so keep that in mind. There are lot of other download sites out there, but Sonny Parker's website is the one that I go to most frequently because I indeed use a BFD in my system.

As far as the BFD goes, I'll put it to you this way. If not for the BFD, I would not have a subwoofer in my system, period. To me, the BFD is about as important a component as there is in my system. For $120, there aren't too many things I can think of that can improve the audio quality as much as the BFD does.

Of course, I could say that about any parametric EQ! The difference is that the BFD costs a lot less than the other PEQ options out there. And for a lot of people, other PEQs very well might work better. For starters, the BFD is NOT at all user friendly.

Even though I use the BFD exclusively as an EQ, the PEQ function on the BFD is a secondary function. It was originally designed to eliminate feedback in live concert rigs (obviously not something that I will do at home), and is clearly not aimed at the consumer market (the unit is made for rack mounting, and it looks ugly). Along the way, somebody figured out that the EQ function on the BFD is a very cost effective item to plug in with a subwoofer, and that advice spread, which is how I heard about it.

Another criticism of the BFD is that it has audible noise in midrange and highs, but it doesn't matter if it's only used to equalize the bass range. Other digital and analog PEQs have a lower noise floor, but they also cost more.

kexodusc
11-23-2004, 01:20 PM
That's next on my list...The 1000 watt sub-amp from Parts Express is sold with a half decent PEQ I'm told...If not the BFD has been highly recommended. One thing at a time...

Just curious how much variance in response (+/- dB) did you measure prior to and after the BFD?

Woochifer
11-23-2004, 01:53 PM
That's next on my list...The 1000 watt sub-amp from Parts Express is sold with a half decent PEQ I'm told...If not the BFD has been highly recommended. One thing at a time...

Just curious how much variance in response (+/- dB) did you measure prior to and after the BFD?

I had two peaks of 10 db+ and another 8 db variance before applying the EQ. After setting up the parametric filters, the in-room response is now within 2 db from the crossover point down to 25 Hz. While I did not hear any audible noise introduced into the bass signal, the BFD does have a delay of about 1 ms. If you can vary the subwoofer delay, then you need to reduce it to compensate.

By all accounts, the BFD is not the best PEQ out there, but it certainly is very expensive and it definitely does the job with a subwoofer.

lattybuck
11-29-2004, 12:11 PM
B&W has a test software for PC's, LIFO or something like that its called, they used to allow downloads from their website. It is pretty tight as far as detailed EQ is concerned I understand. And it is supposed to be very good if you take the time to download and set it up right. If it is still free it might be worth a try.
Take care

Kursun
11-29-2004, 12:37 PM
Looking for test-tones specifically between 20 Hz and 3000 Hz...preferably in lower increments (ie: every 10 Hz until 100Hz then every octave or so)?
I've got a pile o tests to run on some midwoofers, and a sub. This would sure be handy...if it even exists?
Thanks.http://www.marchandelec.com/fg.html
http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisdpro

bikehikefish
11-29-2004, 01:06 PM
Here is an excell spread sheet that will allow you to model the BFD settings before you actually set them. Too cool!

http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/eq/peq.htm