So when do you bust out the Holiday music? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So when do you bust out the Holiday music?

Jim Clark
11-23-2004, 10:08 AM
OK, with FA it was what? July? Maybe a bit soon for me. I've got this James Taylor-A Christmas Album sitting next to me but it's too soon to play it right now. It's a Hallmark release which occasionally feature stellar sonics but still, too early. On the ride home from Omaha on Thursday I know my wife will insist but till then I'm standing my ground. A couple of radio stations have already gone with the X-Mas toons holiday format already. Talk about jumping the gun.

jc

DarrenH
11-23-2004, 12:17 PM
We play Christmas music on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. That's it. I get my fill of Christmas music weeks prior to that. Fact is, it's already being played in every shopping mall and department store in my area.

Now, if you were to ask about decorations and lights, well, I've already put out the lights. I won't flick the switch until after Thanksgiving though. It's better to put them out now when the weather is still decent and before the snow flies. The indoor decorations come a little later.

Darren

BarryL
11-23-2004, 12:35 PM
OK, I've got this Christmas Album sitting next to me. Release my wife. I'm standing my ground. Talk about the gun.

jc

Huh? I'm sure that's not what jc said! It must have been a long drive from Omaha. Just having some fun, Jim. ;-)

I was getting a coffee yesterday and the one radio station in Toronto that plays an all Christmas song format has already started. Well, I suppose that because the Santa Clause parade was this past weekend, it's okay. Us Canadians had Thanksgiving in October, so we don't have the same benchmark here. Once Halloween is past, the department stores etc. go Christmas full out.

As for me, I can probably wait until December 21, with the exception of the Jordan Rudess Christmas album I have on order. It plays when it arrives.

Hyfi
11-23-2004, 12:44 PM
Nothing like Chrismas in July.

I did hear some of the James Taylor disk that JC spoke of but only on the bedroom boombox so no comment on sonnics. It's JT alright putting his touch on some old favs.

I also just picked up Jethro Tull's Christmas Album and listened to it. Darren may agree, Ya can never get too much Tull.

I'll break out the Smooth Jazz GRP Christmas disks in a few weeks but the day after Xmas they all go away.

BarryL
11-23-2004, 01:16 PM
I also just picked up Jethro Tull's Christmas Album and listened to it.

I picked up that Tull CD last year, and it is Killer! All of the songs are originals with the exception of a few instrumentals of traditional stuff, if I recall correctly. And it all sounds like vintage Tull. This is a great Jethro Tull album, period. It is really a Christmas themed album more than it is a Christmas album, so you can play it all year around.

I'm going to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra in seven days, so I guess that's the offical kick-off of my Christmas listening season.

ForeverAutumn
11-23-2004, 03:19 PM
OK, with FA it was what? July? Maybe a bit soon for me. I've got this James Taylor-A Christmas Album sitting next to me but it's too soon to play it right now. It's a Hallmark release which occasionally feature stellar sonics but still, too early. On the ride home from Omaha on Thursday I know my wife will insist but till then I'm standing my ground. A couple of radio stations have already gone with the X-Mas toons holiday format already. Talk about jumping the gun.

jc

You're right JC, I do love my holiday music. I've already listened to several of my Christmas disks. I also picked up that JT CD at a Hallmark store. I ripped it open and popped it in the car player as soon as I left the mall! I've only given it one spin. Not a bad disk, but hard to judge the sound properly on the car speaker. Gotta listen to it in the house.

I'm going to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra in seven days, so I guess that's the offical kick-off of my Christmas listening season.

You mean that you haven't listened to the new TSO disk yet? What are you waiting for man....Christmas?!!! :D

Worf101
11-23-2004, 06:59 PM
She's been busting it out already... She broke it out after Halloween.. It's disgustin'. I can't take it. It makes me soooooo melancholy to hear it.

Da Worfster :(

progfan
11-24-2004, 05:16 AM
I'm seeing TSO on Sunday as well. I've been listening to Xmas music since October, but don't tell anyone.

I don't have the Tull CD yet, but I must get it. I just saw them a couple of weeks ago in Hampton Beach, NH and they were really good. They played a couple of songs from the Xmas CD as well.

BarryL
11-24-2004, 06:45 AM
You mean that you haven't listened to the new TSO disk yet? What are you waiting for man....Christmas?!!! :D

Yeah, I listened to it twice, then packed it away.

I did listen to Old City Bar a few times, and have even played in on the old guitar a few times. But that was weeks ago. It's completely slipped my disco!

BTW, I found the sheet music online and downloaded it for $4.95. Type Old City Bar in Google and select the link that looks like a sheet music company. The song is dropped down (DGCFAD), but I find it sounds better just to play it in regular tuning (EADGBE), although it does make it a little more difficult to hit some of the higher notes. But in drop down tuning, you can sing like Tom Waits if you want to. Most of the chords are fairly simple, basic folk-type chords. Nothing bizarre here.

Dave_G
11-24-2004, 07:12 AM
Ya that Tull Christmas cd is real good and can be played almost year round, I recommend it highly.

Dave

Pat D
11-25-2004, 01:11 PM
Advent begins Sunday, November 28, 2004. I suppose after that it's the Christmas season. I've had to start thinking about what music our choir is going to do during
Advent and for Christmas, but I haven't actually been gotten any out any recordings of Christmas music yet. The choral society is doing the Christmas portions of Handel's Messiah in early December so we've been rehearsing that.

Dusty Chalk
11-25-2004, 05:59 PM
Well, I was trying to come up with some non-intrusive type stuff for someone with whom I was going to be stuck in the car for several hours, so I put on Chris Isaak's Christmas album. So, I guess, for me, it would be 'today', this year, anyway.